Trouble in paradise!

Pleasant Hill, California
I noticed on Thanksgiving Day morning that the binding is separating ever so slightly from the "bottom side" of my new Martin D-18 acoustic guitar. This is an excellent guitar that retails for about $3,000, so I was surprised that there would be workmanship issues on any part of the guitar. I emailed Martin last night and will probably get an "authorization number" next week to get the ting fixed. Fortunately, it's just a matter of adding some glue and (gently) clamping it down for a day or two. The Guitar Center where I bought it is an authorized service center for Martin guitars, so I hope not to be without it for too long. Wish me luck! Have you had any minor disappointments lately?
@valmnz (13155)
• New Zealand
Good that it will be quickly repaired.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm relieved about that. But I'll be nervous when I take it in.
@valmnz (13155)
• New Zealand
@TheHorse sounds a bit like going to the dentist!!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@valmnz That's kind of the way I feel.
@kobesbuddy (19593)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I sent my Bach trumpet in for a professional cleaning, a recommendation of our first chair trumpet player. Mona was sending hers in also, so just included mine, also. A week later, she called to let me know I could pick my trumpet up. When I got home, I was terribly disappointed. The entire trumpet had been cleaned with a wire brush, leaving spiral scratches everywhere! Mona never said a word about it and I chose rather to call it. a very bad experience.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Whoa, that would make me very mad. Is there a finer grit SOMETHING you can use to remove the swirly scratches?
@kobesbuddy (19593)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse I'm not sure what could be done, but it really upset me!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy There ARE some threads out there about removing scratches from brass, But things got complicated as I read on. I would ask any experts you might have handy. Did you PAY for this atrocity? Can you tell how deep the scratches are? I use Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze for removing relatively fine scratches on wooden instruments, like guitars and mandolins.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
Maybe the guitar ate too much on thanksgiving and is busting at the seams. Good luck with getting it repaired.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd better check my own binding.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse Let me know if you need some glue and clamps!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@WorDazza I will. Why am I still eating?
Wishing you the best of luck!!! I have a mystery bump in a large area rug that suddenly appeared.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh oh. What do you suspect to be the cause?
@TheHorse It is a mystery. After 5 years, the bump appeared. Folks here have given me some possible remedies. Haven't tried one yet, but some sound pretty darn good.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
Have any pets or family members gone missing recently?
• Rochester, New York
Hopefully your wait isn't too long and they are able to fix it without any additional problem arising.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't anticipate any further problems. The instrument is structurally sound and sounds great!
so sorry and now to get it fixed.No I have not.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hopefully it will be done next week.
I wish you luck and I understand your disappointment, things are not more made as they were did in the past.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Martin guitars are usually still really good, and this one sounds great and is beautiful to look at. The back has quilted mahogany, which is rare. Maybe it just got in some intense heat when it was shipped or something.
@TheHorse This is very possible, even if I have the feeling that the modern glues are not as good as they pretend.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck I'm not sure. I do think that regular wood glue is water-soluble. I'm not sure about hyde glue. which is seen as more "elite."
Hope you get this taken care of in a timely manner. A product is only as good as the manufacturer.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Martin is among the best. I have faith everything will be taken care of promptly.
@TheHorse ......Hope so.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle I'll provide a full report.
I have an electric bass that the fret-board is separating from the neck, I'd need to send it to a shop some day but since it is a 'project' I haven't been in any hurry. I won't be ready to assemble it for another year at least.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Why not glue it and clamp and see what happens? Basses aren't as "sensitive" as many other instruments. I was playing a $150 Fender today and it sounded just fine.
@TheHorse Superglue? Naw, I'd just rather have it done at a shop. It won't cost much, I'm more into replacing the electronic and possibly sanding/refinishing the body.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JolietJake Sounds like a good project. I've actually done some slightly daring work on my expensive guitars and my 1914 Gibson mandolin, but in this case, I'll let the shop handle it.
@KrauseHome (33368)
This would be disappointing. Lucky for me, most things have been really Good lately.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It will be fixed. All will be well. I can still play the instrument. I played it today before class.
No disappointments like that. ..... after a moment of thought I do not see many life events as disappointing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
As do I.
No, not lately. Hope they can make it like new.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm confident they will.
So it's just a cosmetic issue? As you say, you wouldn't expect something like that in such an expensive guitar.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Agree. And yes, it's just a cosmetic issue.
That's a shame. Is the fix part of a guarantee or will you have to pay for it?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, it's a part of the Warranty. Binding is not supposed to separate from the side. It sometimes happens after 25 years, but even then the guitar would be covered.