Did you boycott shopping on Thanksgiving?

Last year and years past I remember it being all over social media that folks were not going to shop on Thanksgiving Day; they would boycott it in hopes that the retailers would take a hint and allow rerail employees to spend the day with their families. I did not see this theme at all this year on social media or the news like in years past. (Did people stop caring?) I did shop on Thanksgiving Day early in the morning, went to grab some baking supplies at the grocery store (which was to close at 2pm), went to the gym (which closed at noon) and also the gas station (which seems like it never closes). So I wasnt really helping the cause but was glad to know the grocery store and gym folks got at least some of the day off. Did you shop on Thanksgiving Day? Hppe everyone is having a fabulous Friday!
I boycott shopping every day!
Haha I cant believe that. I see your reviews of various food products! Unless you get the 5 finger discount lol
No, I did not shop on Thanksgiving Day since the crowds of people are a bit much for me. Also, people do not drive that well when a holiday rolls around. Everyone is in such a hurry.
That is very true. Iknow I generally avoid Black Friday shopping for that reason. Also the day before holidays at grocery stores. I hit the grocery store up at 4am though so I was just about the only customer inside. Lol. Hope you had a nice holiday :-)
@aureliah (3849)
Here in Kenya we do not really celebrate Thanksgiving Day so people rushed for all the juicy deals. Myself I did nothing but some brand has extended the offers so will go check today.
Do you celebrate Black Friday or do stores have special deals around this time?
@aureliah (3849)
@maezee Stores have embraced the online shopping and we are now having Black Friday every year
@aureliah Nice. Do they have good deals?
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I was always expected to work on holidays, at the assisted living home. For two years straight, I worked every weekend and holiday, which didn't matter to me. Those people considered me an extension of their family, because some of them didn't have any living relatives. I loved being there on Christmas Day, to make their lives a little brighter!
Very good point indeed. That sounds like a meaningful job.
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@maezee I was happy to spend time with those lonely residents, on holidays.
@kobesbuddy That is awesome. I worked at a retail shop during holidays and that was the opposite for me. It felt totally meaningless. So thats great you could have such a positive impact on these folks. I am sure they appreciated it
Only food.
Gotta have it
Holidays like Thanksgiving Day are not retail shopping days here in our country. You cannot usually find any place to eat out or work out at either. And there are some gas stations open, but not all of them and they jack up the prices. I remember about 25 years ago, you might have 3 or 4 gas stations open in a city, and that was all. The idea was to buy in advance, and we did.
That is crazy to imagine. Most businesses used to be closedon Thanksgiving but now seems like more and more are open.
@maezee As a society I feel that we need to take things back a bit. When you look at the sector of our population which works customer service, you see young adults, young parents, perhaps single parents. And when you consider that they are working on these holidays, that means that their families, children, siblings and so on, are "adjusting" and hold a different meaning to these holidays then those of us who enjoy them off. And considering that children are our future, where does that leave us as a society? Can we not close the majority of our businesses a few times a year to allow the workers the same courtesy that we enjoy-time with our families? That's how I look at it. If it isn't an essential service-health care, policing, fire, then let the business close please.
@ricki_911 (17194)
• Toronto, Ontario
I usually don't shop on holidays. Its more to avoid people
Exactly! I am the same way. Haha. Too many people.
@ricki_911 (17194)
• Toronto, Ontario
@maezee i find people are angry and rude
@Emmlex1000 (1417)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Shopping doing thanksgiving day is enjoyable
Is it?
• New Delhi, India
This is a nice move. I hope it worked.
@EddieHands (33086)
Yes especially black friday. But mostly because I am lazy! I love sleeping lol
Just got a few items in a very small grocery store.
Not on Thanksgiving day, but on black Friday yes.
I wouldn't quite say that I boycott shopping, but to me thanksgiving is a day to stay home (unless I have to work). I've never gone shopping on thanksgiving.
@peachpurple (10708)
Nope, was staying at home whole day. Luckily Malaysia doesn't have black friday
• Peoria, Arizona
Shopping for Thanksgiving is way different than shopping on thanksgiving. People who are trying to get deals on stuff on are crueler than the people who make their workers, work. But, I guess they are just bringing back the real meaning of thanksgiving, it was about taking, not giving. It is so sad.
Nope, do not. I think thanksgiving and christmas should be mandatory days off for those not emergency or hospital workers. And my state agrees, mostly. As nothing is open besides hospital, cvs, bowling alley and convience stores