R.I.P. Jon Hendricks

By JJ
And everyone goes "Who is Jon Hendricks?" Jon was one-third of the jazz group Lambert, Hendricks & Ross in the late 50'/early 60's. I grew up listening to one of their albums subtitled 'The Hottest New Group In Jazz'. Lambert, Hendricks & Ross! came out (in the USA) the same year I was born, 1960 (although a Canadian release was issued in 1959), so I have literally listened to this since I was born. Hendricks was 96 years old...
• Riga, Latvia
Thank for sharing. Really nice sound. Never heard of them before.
Dad played the album a lot while I was young, and it is one of the first records I started playing when I was old enough to use the stereo myself.
• Riga, Latvia
@JolietJake my dad love the music of the 1920s. My parents arrived in the states in 1951. Dad started discovering all kinds of music and this was his favorite so he had some albums with songs like this and when he passed on just for fun I started listening to them. Then I discovered rock and roll.
One of the earliest recordings of that perennial favourite, a very good version by the other half of The Happiness Boys. Music by Con Conrad, lyrics by Sidne...
He lived a long life. Bet he performed for a long time.
He was still performing in 2013...LONG time
And of course you had the LP.
It's technically my Dad's, but it may as well be mine since he probably hasn't played it since 2005 or so.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I recognize the name of the band but that's about it. He lived s full long life it seems.
Yep, he had a good one. 96 is a heck of a life.
I know this trio since my school days in Berklee and had the chance to see them.Still have their album and CD. one of the best group around.The sounds of jazz there is great with the harmony. Thank you for the information on this.
@BarBaraPrz (17594)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I mentioned his passing the other day. And what timing! They just now played one of their tunes on the radio.
@cttolledo (2348)
• Batangas, Philippines
I haven't heard any of his music, he may rest in peace.