Thanksgiving With My Boys

Green Bay, Wisconsin
When was the last time your plans went exactly the way you planned them? Yesterday was Thanksgiving with my boys. I planned for a 2 pm dinner. Yeah right. Best laid plans and all that. My older son called right after I got the turkey in the oven by 10:30, and asked if I had talked to the younger. I hadn't. I called him. Result - turn off the oven. My son was having his mattress delivered yesterday, and the window was between 3-5. I called my older son back and told him to plan for about 5:30. My younger son called back and said to plan for 4. So I called the older son and told him 4. He showed up at 4, but since I didn't turn the turkey back on again until 2, it wasn't done yet. I did have the potatoes done, and the veggie dish. My younger son called. They weren't there yet, figure supper for 5:15. Okay, that works, the turkey wasn't done yet. My older son took the turkey out of the oven at 5:15, and we let it sit for at least 20 minutes before carving. My younger son arrived at 5:30. After that, the dinner went very well. The turkey was the best I've ever made. So moist, even the white meat. I also prepared it a little different than usual. In years past I would brush the whole bird with honey as well as the sage and poultry seasonings. This year honey is out of the question, so what to do. I drizzled olive oil over the turkey. I worried about that. I tried to put clarified butter on it, but it was hard as a rock, having been in the fridge. I also put the seasonings on it - sage, poultry, and added two others - rosemary and thyme. The result - moist and delicious! Best turkey I've ever made. I'll do it again for Christmas. The whole dinner went great. I had salads I bought that morning, a fruit tray, blueberry pie, my younger son took that home, zucchini and tomato veggie dish, and rosemary mashed potatoes. I made my potatoes with cashew milk and clarified butter, now melted. They turned out perfect and nobody know I used cashew milk instead of regular milk for the potatoes. It was a perfect day, even with all the delays, and I got the tree decorated too. I hope your day went good yesterday for the day after Thanksgiving. Did you do any Black Friday shopping? I'm waiting for cyber Monday. Thanks for reading.
Glad your day went well even if dinner had to be put off a few times. Seems like it all worked out and your dinner sounds really good. Amazing how you can prepare a nice meal and still stay within the boundaries of your diet.
That's the one thing I really worried about - staying in the boundaries of the diet, but it worked perfect.
@ourlot (1005)
Good to know that things are OK on your side.
Thank you.
@nanette64 (13855)
• Fairfield, Texas
No big function for me @just4him ; I was alone with the kitties.
That's good too.
@JustBhem (22580)
• Davao, Philippines
I like your living room, it's quite simple and cozy.
I thought the room looked nice too.
@JustBhem Cozy is a good word for it. Thank you.
@JudyEv Thank you.
• Riga, Latvia
Well glad it all worked out and your dinner was delicious. First time ever I did a little purchasing online on Amazon. I don't think I will spend any more money on Monday.
I do a lot of shopping on Amazon. Thank you.
Although it didn't go as planned, you sure seemed to have had a good dinner! With what i'm sure is great company. No, no BF shopping here. May look online monday though for some shirts
I'm thinking about Cyber Monday as well. I started looking yesterday and Amazon is out of the question. I didn't see anything that interested me. Thank you. It was delicious, and yes, having my boys here was very good.
@just4him im surprised you didnt find anything on there
@Courtlynn I looked at all their cyber items, and I wasn't enthused with what they had to offer.
The best laid plans always go awry don't they? Mom used to tell us what time dinner would be ready, if you weren't on time then too bad, she wasn't waiting for anyone. I was never late, her cooking was so awesome but my sibling was always late which meant there'd be no smashed taters left.
So sad for your sibling. I had more than enough, so if I had started early, there would have been enough when he arrived.
Yeah, but I was happy cuz it meant not having to share mom's awesome cooking @just4him I just think when mom's are still cooking for their grown children then it is the responsibility of those grown ups to appreciate the immense work that was put into that meal and show up when MOM has planned to eat. Just sayin.
@rebelann The store told him when they would be delivering the mattress, so he had no choice but to be later than expected. Otherwise my kids are always on time for dinner.
I'm glad it all worked out well for you and your Friday Thanksgiving was delicious. I was in New York City watching my grandson in two ice hockey games.
I hope he won them both. Thank you. It did work out.
@just4him He won! Thanks! Glad all worked out for you so well!!!!
@DianneN Thank you. I'm glad he won. Makes me smile.
I am glad your dinner came out great. We do not eat turkey, but I make the chicken with olive oil in the oven and it's always delicious.
Thank you. I've never tried it before, so I was happy it turned out good.
@just4him Now you can rest until Christmas, then it's another big meal to prepare.
@LadyDuck Yes, it will be.
Ah, it all worked out in the end and your feast turned out delicious (and healthy!). Our day was spent with mother in law - we did not see her for Thanksgiving Day - we had an early dinner and saw a movie. Nope, no Black Friday shopping for us . . . but I think I'll take a peek into Cyber Monday!!
Thank you. Yes, it all worked out perfect. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving with your mother-in-law. What movie did you see?
@just4him We spent Thanksgiving Day with my family - and then the next day with mother in law. We saw "Loving Vincent" - about Vincent Van Gogh (an artfully made film - an interesting watch!).
@much2say I'll need to check it out.
@Daelii (2071)
sounds like a great day! I haven't had/or recall cashew milk. Does it cook like other milks?? I use soy for most things because of kids allergies.
Yes, it does, and it's better than regular milk with more calcium than regular.
@Daelii (2071)
@just4him I'm going to have to try it! I know soy milk has had issues with people who drink it long term developing early (kids having early puberty ). I can't do the almond milk as was suggested by dr's since another child in the house is severely allergic to almonds. So it will be nice to know there is something else we can switch to if baby girl doesn't out grow her milk allergy (my other daughter did when she was a little over 4).
@Daelii I love the creamy smooth taste of cashew milk. I hope you try it.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That sounds awesome.i never thought to to cashew milk.
It's really good.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@just4him I wonder if it would be better for me because I'm lactose intolerant?
@thislittlepennyearns Yes, it would, since it's not cow's milk. No lactose to worry about.
That is great that you had a good day with your two sons. I hope your Christmas will be just as nice.
Thank you. I hope so too.
@valmnz (13199)
• New Zealand
Sounds like you had a great day. Trying to coordinate several people at the same time has its moments doesn't it!
Yes, it does. It was a wonderful day.
Glad that everything turned out okay in the end.
Yes, it did, thank you.
• Marion, Kansas
It sounds humorous, from here. I am sure it was a bit frustrating. I am glad all went well in the end.
I never knew what time dinner was actually going to happen. It was good when everything worked out the way it did. I'm sure it was humorous. The good thing - I got the tree decorated.
@cahaya1983 (9678)
I'm happy everything went smoothly for you. I've never tried using cashew milk for mashed potatoes, that sounds very healthy!
It is, and delicious too.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I did fit in some shopping between the usual running around. I'm glad that every one eventually was able to sit down to a lovely meal. Your tree looks very pretty! :)
Thank you. I'm glad you got some shopping done.
glad you have a perfect thanksgiving dinner with your sons.
Thank you. It was very good.
@ilocosboy (33294)
After all that side stories before the table, it went well and the story end up in a happy ending with your two sons.
Yes, it all ended up happy.