Checking Out That Zipper of Mine

After I wash my jeans, the pull tab on the zipper always ends up at the bottom stop, and I find it hard to grasp the pull tab. I was looking at the zipper on my jeans, due to boredom I suppose, and I noticed the letters YKK on that zipper of mine. I checked other zippers on my clothing, and I saw that the letters YKK appeared on the pull tab on most of those zippers. Of course, the reason for the YKK on the pull tabs of my zippers had to be discovered. YKK stands for "Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikikaisha," or the Yoshida Company Limited. A clever fellow by the name of Tadao Yoshida founded the Yoshida Company Limited in 1934 in Tokyo, Japan. Mr. Yoshida designed some top-of-the-line zipper machines due to his dissatisfaction with other production methods used to make zippers. Those talented folks that design clothing have found that zippers that are not YKK-zippers just do not make the grade when it comes to a quality zipper. If you become beyond bored, check your zipper to determine if your zipper also has the letters YKK on it. However, it is best to check your zipper in the privacy of your own home rather than when you are out and about among the public. .
LOL, I have noticed letters but I have not been bored enough to research those letters.
Well, it was a slow day for me, so zipper-checking seemed to be an interesting activity.
I would if I can bend my head to look at ti.
Well, I think it is perfectly fine not to look, my friend!!
@Corbin5 oh!all right.I probably could ot read it anyway.I look YKK Your right pretty cool there.Would have thought of this.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Mine say Levis on them but they do not look as sturdy as the YKK you show here Deborah..interesting history.
Well, I say a zipper that has Levis is a very good zipper, indeed!!! I never cared about zippers before, but I think I just may go for YKK zippers from now on.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 Sounds good and wise Deborah You are great to notice this.
As soon as I post a response to this, I am going to check out my coat zipper. See what you started!!
I became a bit addicted at checking out my zippers. I should be doing something more productive.
@Corbin5 Oh well, I guess there are worse things you could be doing.
You must have been bored. But now I'm curious
Well, when you have a bit of time, you could check your zipper.
@Corbin5 i might lol
Zippers do seem to be a lot more reliable than they once were.
I think so too. Zippers seem to be more problem-filled in the past.
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Now I am going to have to check all my zippers, thanks Deborah !! lol
Such a worthwhile task. Not!!!
@buenavida (7672)
• Sweden
You made me curious and checked the zippers in my coats - found a YKK in a winter coat.. Interesting..
Yippee!! You have a good quality zipper on that coat!!!
@buenavida (7672)
• Sweden
@Corbin5 Good to know.. I think it works well Thanks for telling about it..
You must be really really really bored. Youwhoooo, Molly, bring her a toy and do it quickly before she's checked every zipper item in the house.
I really was into that zipper-thing for quite a while. I am sure the inventor of the YKK zipper would have been delighted with my interest.
Sure they would, until you found a flaw with them and decided to share @Corbin5
• Pamplona, Spain
On skirts bought here there are not those initials and explains why the zips last five minutes and that is your lot. I have seen YKK zippers here but most probably on jeans of someone else. Really interesting that and never gave it another thought.
I just happened to see the letters on my zipper, and for some strange reason, had to find out what those letters stood for. Useless information, but perhaps I could interject that knowledge into conversation if the conversation is lagging.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 I have never taken much notice like I said before so it makes for great conversations even if ts about something that is nothing to do with it.
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
btw, i have been known to zip them up before washing and even add a small safety pin to hold during wash and dry
Well, thank you for that tip. Now I will not have that darn pull-tab problem.
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 hopefully
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
yes that is the reason i keep forgetting to check what size and make of my panties when i find some that fit perfect because i only notice when i am out and forget to check when i am home
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 i know and ordering online when i haven't for a while is going to be tough.
@1hopefulman (20311)
I used to work in the fashion industry and knew quite well the YKK zipper company. In fact, one of their manufactures was not far from where I live. I had a friend that was working for them and I almost worked there myself. Yes, they make good quality zippers.
I did not know that a YKK factory was in North America. I am glad the zippers are of good quality because I am checking from now on.
@1hopefulman (20311)
@Corbin5 "In 1968 YKK opened its first branch in Canada. Its Canadian headquarters are currently in Montreal, Quebec." Wikipedia I think they only did a few things here but most was done in Japan.
@alberello75 (13525)
• Genova, Italy
You know that, since I was in elementary schools (1981-1986). such YKK symbol, was already visible in zipper hinges? I remember one of my classmates asked the meaning! Nobody knew it! Well, thank you Deborah! If it had not been for you, now, I'd never understand!
I am so glad you understand now. Me too!!
@alberello75 (13525)
• Genova, Italy
@sallypup (21925)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Thanks for the reminder. I need to check out why one of my coats has a stubborn zipper. Got to check it out before the weather turns bitter.
You are welcome. A zipper that does not work is a disaster!!! I have tried to replace non-working zippers, and I never end up with a good result. Now, I just toss clothing with zippers that do not work.
@sallypup (21925)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 This is a hundred dollar jacket that I can finally get into. You're right. If I can't get the zipper closed, it had better go.
@kobesbuddy (19709)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'm at home in the privacy of my home. YKK? Yup, it's there! zzzzzzzzt and it's still operational, too
Hooray!!!! We both are wearing clothes with YKK zippers!!!
• Riga, Latvia
Thanks for the info. Me and zippers are not friends. I had a great winter windbreaker with a plastic zipper. The zipper broke and so it hangs in my closet. Just ordered online a woolen winter coat with buttons. I have no idea if these kinds of zippers are here but I will remember to look.
I have tried to replace non-working zippers in the past, but the results were always horrible. I am glad you got a new coat with buttons!!! I can sew on a button, thank goodness.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
You know the plastic thing on the end of your shoe laces is called an aglet?
I remember reading that somewhere. Now, if an aglet is missing from one or both ends, it sure is hard to put that lace through those holes. I wonder what the holes are called?? Eyelets perhaps.
@Madshadi (4749)
• Brussels, Belgium
I never thought to check what it says on my zipper. But as you demonstrated, the story behind them could be interesting.
I was just glad I was able to see the YKK without having to put on my reading glasses!!!
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
Love this post! Thanks for the smiling start to my day.
Oh, I am so glad you enjoyed the post. I was quite curious about the YKK on that zipper. It is nice to know it is a quality zipper.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
@Corbin5 no such luck with my jeans!