I sold a guitar for $100; she paid with a hundred dollar bill

Photo is mine
Eugene, Oregon
I had an extra guitar, an Ibanez with a case included, all in fine shape. I had advertised on Craigslist last year and got no offers. So, it sat in my garage until last week when I decided to try again at $110. Perhaps the local economy is better, because I got some interest right away and a young Native-American (Indian) woman wanted to come see it. She also wanted to bring a friend who actually plays to check it out. I said okay and gave her my phone number. She called and said they would come by when her friend got off work. Rightly or wrongly, I am always a bit suspicious about buyers from CL coming to the house (It happens rarely). Since I had her name, I verified that she is an actual person by looking her up on FB (How many people there named Graywolf could there be). She was real, so I texted directions. They showed up about 6:30 PM; her friend checked the guitar out and she offered a hundred dollars. That was fine with me and she handed me a hundred dollar bill. I hoped that is was real! I Googled how to tell a counterfeit after they left and it is easy. The bill is real and I am happy that she bought it for her sister whose birthday was the next day. Do you ever sell or buy through online ads? Would you accept a hundred dollar bill?
You can check in the light to make sure the $100 bill is real. But yes, I always verify on Facebook (stalker status) or type their # in to see if I find any info to make sure I'm safe. For things like selling I would meet up somewhere but for a car no choice since the title says your home address
• Eugene, Oregon
Verification is a good idea.
@JamesHxstatic Yes it certainly is.
The only selling I do is online, so transactions are done through PayPal. I'd accept a $100 bill if I was doing a face-to-face sale, but only if it was someone I could identify just in case...
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I had her phone number and knew she was a real person from looking at FB, so I felt pretty safe.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've accepted a lot of $100 bills. Never had a fake one so far.
Made a couple of sales on eBay and OLX as I had an online store in both sites. Payment is mostly made through bank deposit or PayPal and I just ship the items.
• Eugene, Oregon
PayPal works very well.
True @JamesHxstatic . Anyway, grats on the sale and may you have many more.
Nice. Glad to hear it. The bank never gives me hundreds so I wonder how people end up with them . I do orefer them over twenties as I find myself spending twenties quicker as opposed to breaking the large bill. I do love the Ibanez guitars I have also. She got a good deal.
• Eugene, Oregon
I bought a used Taylor that I found easier to play. I am a slow learner though.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JamesHxstatic Taylors are known for being easy to play. They're good guitars overall!
@Platespinner (18536)
My husband buys and sells through Craigslist regularly. Lots of folks have come to the house and we've never had a problem.
• Eugene, Oregon
Nor have I, but am cautious.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's my experience too. But I always chat with them on the phone first. If they don't speak the stereo geek or guitar geek language, I'm suspicious.
I would probably accept a $100 bill but I just think it is such a shame that we have to be so careful nowadays about who we give our address to, etc, etc. I know it's necessary to be really careful but it is still a pity that people can't be trusted.
• Eugene, Oregon
I agree, Judy, and it really is too bad.
It all spends the same. I have never sold via CL but my mother has.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yep, as long as it is real dough and this was.
I would surely accept a hundred dollar bill, I would not accept anything bigger. I am uncomfortable having people coming to our home. This is something I would have not accepted.
• Eugene, Oregon
@LadyDuck It was easier than taking the guitar to a public place, but I know what you mean.
@JamesHxstatic You never know, in our days it's scary to receive people.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Even in Switzerland? That saddens me.
Your guitar looks like a brand-new one! Isn't Ibanez made in Japan? The woman got a good deal on the guitar.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes it is made in Japan. I had paid $75 to a neighbor a year or so ago, so it was good for me too. It reduced the $300 price that I paid for my (used) Taylor guitar.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JamesHxstatic That's a good deal for a Taylor! Do you know the model number?
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse What I sold was an Ibanez PF 10 with a case. I bought a Taylor 110 GB with a case for $300.
I have not.This is your business.Wether do accept it or not.
• Eugene, Oregon
Well, yes and I did.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JamesHxstatic I'm glad it worked out. I have actually sold a couple of guitars via Craigslist.
Glad that you sold it and pretty much got what you were asking. I habe sold a few thungs online. I would take $100. We dont have a lot of problems here with counterfeit money here and our new bills are hard to copy.
• Eugene, Oregon
I recently worked in retail and have seen the new bills, so this one looked good, better after I verified it.
@JamesHxstatic Yes for sure!! Glad it was!!
I have sold a few times from a Facebook page. I was always paid in cash
• Eugene, Oregon
I never think about that FB sale page.
@Meramar (1953)
Until know, everything I sold through Internet has been paid cash or through PayPayl,but never through a bill. You are doing well being careful but, can we really trust to all the information we find online, even on FB? Souldn't we be careful even with the information we find online?
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I believe it is necessary to be careful always.
That's pretty cool & glad it was real.
• Eugene, Oregon
Me too!
I've never bought or sold on Craigslist. I did used to buy Colorado Avalanche memorabilia on eBay, though.
• Eugene, Oregon
We have bought and sold a few things on CL before, and it has worked out okay.
@carebear29 (26144)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
that is awesome.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I paid $75 a year or two ago and then got a better guitar, so wanted to sell this one.
@iridion9 (2328)
nice guitar nice case
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, it is.
I am glad that worked out well for you. One can't be too careful these days.
• Eugene, Oregon
I know. I like to know I am dealing with a real person.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I buy and sell on Craigslist, and I invite people to my house, but I always speak to them on the phone first. If they sound "off," (it's only happened once or twice), I suddenly become too busy.
@ebanreb (4759)
I have never tried selling or buying online. I prefer buying inn the mall or market.