Armstrong steering, hungry boards and dollies

Bunbury, Australia
Yesterday we went to a food and wine festival in our local town. We enjoyed a wine and some lunch then came home for a few hours before going back to help a friend to pack up her wine stand. Her husband has left her for someone else and she is trying to run a vineyard and winery on her own. We offered to pack up the small marquee affair as she had another function to run back at the vineyard. We packed the marquee and various other bits and pieces into her old work utility. It has what we call ‘Armstrong steering’ meaning that it doesn’t have power steering so is very heavy to steer particularly at a slow speed in a restricted space. Hence you need strong arms to drive it. Armstrong steering made me think of ‘hungry boards’ which are boards put round the top of grain bins on trucks to enable the farmer to add a few extra kilos or pounds. I guess the term came about through farmers being greedy to add extra to their loads. And hungry boards reminded me of ‘dollies’ which a name sometimes given to the trailer towed behind a big truck, I guess much like a child would tow their doll along behind them. Isn’t it interesting how these unusual terms come about?
Interesting. Here a dolly is used to be able to wheel a heavy load from point A to point B
I think we might call that a dolly too - or sometimes a sack truck or sack trolley.
I cant imagine how hard that would be to drive. Why is it called Armstrong I wonder?
The Armstrong bit is a joke meaning you need strong arms to steer it.
Very unusual & nice pick up.
They call the pick up Rosie. We call these sorts of vehicles 'utilities'.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
They're all new terms to me. Are they Oz-speak, or do others know about them?
Some have heard of one or other of the term but I think 'hungry boards' might be Oz-speak.
It really is. Thanks for teaching me something new today.
You're welcome. There seems a lot to learn sometimes, doesn't there?
@JudyEv Yes, but it's always enjoyable to learn something new.
I used to own an armstrong! We call hungry boards, side boards. and dollies are dollies!
By 'armstrong' do you mean a vehicle without power steering?
@Platespinner (16520)
I've driven without power steering. The armstrong adjective is definitely accurate!
Vince reckoned you needed half an acre to turn the thing around. Didn't have a good turning circle by any means.
I have read those terms, but never paid attention or spent time searching their meaning.
I can't always be bothered researching stuff either.
@JudyEv Sometimes I am curious and I check, but not always I have enough time to spend online.
@LadyDuck I am much the same. I don't always open the links either. Just a few of the music ones but not always.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, it is. I have heard of and used "armstrong steering" and have seen those "hungry boards" on trucks, though I am not sure what they are called here. Dollies here are those things that you stack boxes on in order to tilt is back and move a large load. The word may be used for trailers too though.
And someone has commented on the 'pick up' which we call a ute (short for utility). More differences!
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv Oh yes, so that is a "ute," Interesting differences. A neighbor of mine in his 80s just recently spent three weeks visiting an old"mate" there who is ill. Might have been in Adelaide. I will have to ask him. He was once there on a teacher exchange.
@JamesHxstatic Adelaide is a nice city. A bit like Perth in being more laidback and not so frantically busy like the larger Sydney and Melbourne. It's sometimes called the city of churches.
It looks cool to keep this type of vehicle. Does it still work?
Yes, it is a reliable workhorse for the vineyard.
@JudyEv It looks so cool to ride in this vehicle.
@Shavkat It is pretty cool. Nothing like a nice comfortable modern car.
Yes, it is always interesting to find out how things got their names.
Some have some very strange origins.
@JudyEv I guess!
@YrNemo (12664)
We used to drive vehicles with no power steering in the past, about 20 or more years ago, didn't we? But Armstrong steering perhaps is only applied to certain types of vehicle? (I am curious.)
This was apparently very heavy to steer so I don't know if it was heavier than the ones from long ago or what. The Armstrong steering is just a joke meaning that you need strong arms.
@YrNemo (12664)
@JudyEv Get it now. It must be heavier than usual. The old steerings were heavy, but not that bad. (Re: that lady, I feel a bit sad for her, being left for another woman!)
@FayeHazel (18027)
I hadn't heard of hungry boards or dollies, fun story though
People come up with some weird names for things.
• Preston, England
not heard of hungry boards before - interesting
It's a good name for them.
@yanzalong (10151)
What if it stalled? Could we push it?
Yes, it had gears so you'd be able to push it.
Definitely interesting!
I'm glad you found it so.
@JudyEv here in the Philippines we call it 'pawis steering' a play on 'power steering'. 'Pawis' is actually 'sweat' in our language which means that you'll likely sweat driving this kind of car.
@allen0187 That's a very apt description too. It is hard work driving a big vehicle if it doesn't have power steering.
@DeborahDiane (21689)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I love these unusual terms and, when you explain them, they make perfect sense!
They make sense to me. I think it is so clever how they come up with the terms.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I think it is clever, too! Such fun!
@averygirl72 (16656)
I learn interesting terms today but I can't still imagine how it works
Do you mean the armstrong one? If a vehicle doesn't have power steering it can be very hard to turn the steering wheel to make the wheels turn - so you need strong arms to haul the steering wheel one way or the other.
I have never heard of Armstrong steering. Yes, it is funny how these words evolve.
Did you read @allen0187's response? In the Philippines they call it 'pawis' steering which sounds a bit like power steering but 'pawis' actually means 'sweat' so they have thought up something quite similar to 'armstrong'.
How kind of you and your husband to help her with her stand. I've used a dollies many times in moves, but it's powered by holding it and walking. I also love to learn about words--their starting points, how the meaning changes through time, and the difference the word means at different parts of the world.