I got a phone call and a seasonal job

Pixabay free image
Eugene, Oregon
Maybe two months ago, while Anne was watching something that did not interest me, I came across an ad for seasonal jobs at Barnes & Noble book stores. On a whim, I applied, then forgot about it. I got a call the other day from the local store asking me to interview. I had to ask who was calling after he identified himself since I had no real recollection of it. But, I went in the next day and talked with the manager. It turned out that he was from Santa Ana, CA where I went to high school and had grown up working in the grocery business, as I did. The store is ten minutes from my house. After passing a background check, I am hired and will go to an orientation tomorrow. I told him, though, that I can't start until next week, since I have committed to dog sitting through Friday for my daughter's Chihuahua (again) while she attends a business conference in Las Vegas. She will be down with the dog today and fly from here tomorrow. After I left the Wild Birds store in May, the only work I expected to do was some acting, but this will help pay for our trip to the quilting conference in San Antonio next April. The pay is well over minimum too. The job will last until maybe the middle of January.
@kobesbuddy (19465)
• East Tawas, Michigan
This will be a great opportunity, for you to earn some extra money:) Congratulations, James!
• Marion, Kansas
It sounds like quite a nice opportunity.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, for four or five weeks, it should be fine.
Congratulations. That is a good opportunity for you.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I will be on my feet a lot, but it is only for a few weeks, so should be okay.
@dgobucks226 (6811)
That sounds like a great seasonal position. Surrounded by books in a nice atmosphere. Can't beat that!
• Eugene, Oregon
Yeah, and they even have good coffee!
@JamesHxstatic Well, another plus James
That sounds like a job for you to get some extra money. I did not plan on working again but two places call me when they need help. The extra money is always good.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, it should be fun and since we are going to San Antonio in April, the money will pay the plane fare.
@valmnz (13199)
• New Zealand
So, are you becoming the man in red, or are you selling books?
• Eugene, Oregon
Selling books, cashiering, I believe.
@valmnz (13199)
• New Zealand
@JamesHxstatic that sounds like a lot of fun.
• Eugene, Oregon
@valmnz I hope that it will be, thanks!
I had not realized you had grown up in OC! Well congratulations on landing this at Barnes & Noble - I love that store!
• Eugene, Oregon
I moved to OC as a sophomore in high school and was there for about 15 years. Do you live in that area?
@JamesHxstatic I don't live in OC, but we're next door in LA. I'm in the San Fernando Valley . . . have you been there?
Well that's great! =) I hope everything goes well with it.
• Eugene, Oregon
Thank you! We shall see.
That extra money will sure come in handy!! I hope you enjoy the work!!
• Eugene, Oregon
I think I will. The stores have good reviews from present and former employees online.
Congratulations! A short time job will certainly keep you out of trouble and help getting to San Antonio and back!
@JamesHxstatic We have many wineries in Long Island, NY, upstate NY, and even in CT. I will look for them in Florida. Didn't know that.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN and @JamesHxstatic - Yes, Dianne, I didn't think about the aspect that it will keep James out of trouble! LOL
@DeborahDiane I'm always thinking!
@sallypup (21968)
• Moses Lake, Washington
So you are going to be The Barnes and Noble Santa? You're perfect for the job.
• Eugene, Oregon
Hey, I would need a lot of padding! Just a cashier is my apparent job.
@sallypup (21968)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic Being a casher in the maddening crowd is a huge job. Congrats. I know what: you could be an elf. Elves are not quite so chubby cause they have to run around and do what Santa won't.
• Riga, Latvia
Well good for you. That brings me to a question. I have a big project ahead of me and eventually if everything works out as planned I will return to the states only not sure yet of my destination. How easy or hard is it to get jobs permanent jobs in bookstores. Just asking because I am will to do most any kind of job so I can make a living. That is one question and the other what is the best plan of attack search the Internet for jobs anywhere in the states from here or go there and then look since I cannot let anyone know exactly when I am flying out. I would love to work in any bookstore, library, art gallery, museum etc I have become quite creative that a mundane job would probably bore me to tears.
• Eugene, Oregon
Hmmm, well you might start with a site like Indeed.com or Monster.com. You can get a good idea of the jobs that are around. I suspect the economy will continue to grow for a while, so there might be some opportunities. Are you going back to NYC?
• Riga, Latvia
@JamesHxstatic thanks for the info. I really don't know because NYC is an expensive city. I have to take lots of notes do a lot of research and then finally make my decision. It won't be easy but after I sell the house and all the furnishings and anything else I can think of most likely I can get by for a month if needed to search for job and dwelling.
That's great that the pay is over minimum wage.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes it is. Our minimum here is $9.75, so more than that is good.
@JamesHxstatic oh wow. That is great!
I admire those who prefer to keep themselves busy taking up any job that comes their way.
Way to go!
• Eugene, Oregon
Thank you!
That sounds the ideal job for you. Nice to know you're not committing for too long and hopefully it will be interesting - or at least not boring.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, I hope that same thing.
Are you going to be Santa?
• Eugene, Oregon
Nooo, no Santa there that I know of. I will be cashiering I believe. I would not much care to be Santa.
@DeborahDiane (16225)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - That is wonderful! I'm glad you got the job, but I am also glad to hear about a bookstore which needs to hire extra seasonal help. So many bookstores have closed over the past few years!
• Eugene, Oregon
B & N are doing quite well I guess.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - Yes, there is a nice Barnes & Nobel in Irvine, and I frequently go there with my grandchildren.
• Eugene, Oregon
@DeborahDiane They have great stores with so much to look for.
Isn't it nice when things work out? I used to go to B&N and set and read with a cup of coffee. They are nice stores.
• Eugene, Oregon
They really are quite nice.
@JamesHxstatic .....I always enjoyed visiting them.
• Eugene, Oregon
@celticeagle Yes, so did I. I did not realize how many sales they have.
Grats on the new job. What exactly is it?
• Eugene, Oregon
Basically, I will be a cashier, would rather be a bookseller.
@JamesHxstatic I see. Good luck with the new job.
• Eugene, Oregon