How do you tell when it's going to rain?

Pleasant Hill, California
I was sitting at my computer early this morning, feeling the cool air across my bare feet. There were clouds in the sky, but I couldn't tell if they were rain clouds, or just fog burning off. Suddenly, I felt the air temperature drop about 7 degrees F. My feet, which had been cool, were cold. "It will rain soon," I said to myself. Half an hour later, the rain came. It has been raining slowly and steadily since 11 AM (It's 12:30 PM now). From the looks of things, it will continue through most of the afternoon. I cycled yesterday with my neighbor friend and his mother. It was 70 degrees, under partly cloudy skies. She drove me crazy, but that's another post. Can you tell when the rain is coming? What cues do you use?
Rain? In LA?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Admit it! It happens occasionally!
@TheHorse Once in a blue moon!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JohnRoberts Where does water come from down there?
Can you tell when the rain is coming? If I check the forecast What cues do you use? I've always favored a 21 for a solid break, but I use a lighter one for shooting balls.
• Pleasant Hill, California
21?
@TheHorse Pool cue weight
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JolietJake Ah, thank you. I've shot some pool in my day, but I'm not that nuanced.
Well, my son smells the rain before it comes. He always tells me when it's about to rain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Is he pretty accurate?
@TheHorse Yes way more than the weathermen, that's for sure!
@dodo19 (28132)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Sometimes, it can be hard to tell, if it's going to rain or not. Sometimes, it's the smell in the air. Sometimes, it's just how dark the clouds are.
• Pleasant Hill, California
For me, that temperature drop is a reliable indicator.
@dodo19 (28132)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@TheHorse That's true. It is a good indicator.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@dodo19 Today, it worked as usual, but the delay was 1/2 hour, which is longer than I'm accustomed to.
For me, I guess it is the clouds, their shape and colour, and sometimes, as you experienced, the air temperature drops and you can just 'feel' that it is going to rain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I always notice a 5+ degree difference right before it starts.
@FourWalls (10111)
I can tell because the ankle I broke three years ago starts hurting. (It also tells me when it's going to get colder.)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Seems like the two go hand in hand. I felt the cold (nothing hurt more than usual, though everything hurt), and then it rained 1/2 hour later. Usually it's more like 10 mins.
@UncleJoe (8640)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Everything I've ever broken or dislocated tells me when it's going to rain or be colder.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. I just feel the cold. My ACL surgery left knee is silent.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Instead of my bare feet, it's usually air flowing in the car window. Coming back from the city, the temperature drops about 10 degrees, while heading north. About five minutes later, it starts to rain! If the temperature remains almost the same, most generally it doesn't rain. Trust those toes!
• Pleasant Hill, California
When I feel that rush of cold air, I know it will happen soon.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse Yup, along Lake Huron that's a pretty good sign, it's about to rain:)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy Maybe that's a universal sign. I went to Summer Camp in Lawrence Michigan, but can't remember if a rush of cold signaled rain there. I'd assume so.
Sometimes I can smell it in the air.
• Pleasant Hill, California
My too, especially in the Midwest. Here, I went by the sudden chill. We had a nice easy rain all afternoon.
@TheHorse it's been pretty dry here.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Tampa_girl7 The pavement is still wet here, though the rain has stopped. I'm not sure what is forecast for tomorrow.
I smell the rain in the air, but this only in summer when I keep the windows open. In winter, according where the dark clouds are I can easily guess if it's going to rain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sometimes the clouds deceive us here. I knew it would rain soon yesterday when I felt that rush of cold air. Looks (by the pavement) that it rained overnight as well.
@TheHorse We had a very cold wind blowing yesterday, but the wind brought a sunny day.
We have had a lot of rain the last few days. It is so nice. I can tell by the sky and the smell if I am outside. If not outdoors I can check the weather and if the humidity is above about 35 then it will probably rain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Ah, I should check the humidity. It's generally not that high here. At least I think it's not.
@TheHorse ......That's how I can usually tell.
@DeborahDiane (16243)
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - It can be hard to tell here, because in the winter we often have days which are so foggy that you get wet if you are outside for a few minutes, but it is not actually raining.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Are you closer to the Coast than I am?
• Laguna Woods, California
@TheHorse - Our retirement community is on the inland side of the town of Laguna Beach. We are a four mile drive to the beach, but even closer "as the seagull flies." Whenever it is foggy and misty at the beach, it is usually the same where we live. Sometimes, in the winter, you almost feel as if you could wring the water out of the air! LOL
@BarBaraPrz (17603)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Nice little garden ya has there. I know it's going to rain when I get rained on... I check the forecast, and if it says rain, I usually take my umbrella. If I don't believe the forecast and don't take my umbrella, then it almost definitely will rain. If I believe the forecast and do take my umbrella but it's an ackward nuisance to carry, it won't rain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Understood. Can I recommended a hooded jacket with good lining? Then' you'll stop affecting the weather for others.
@BarBaraPrz (17603)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse I do have a hooded jacket.
Well, if a storm is coming, our dog becomes very nervous and cannot settle down. Sometimes I get a barometric pressure headache or the knee I injured in high school gymnastics starts to hurt.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Interesting. I usually just put my socks on.
@TheHorse I think I am made to suffer due to rain on its way. Poor me. Well, the dog suffers too.
I dont know how to explain it but i can smell it if the rain is coming. And by the way, what is that purple flower on the photo. It is so adorable.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, that's a succulent, I think. Not really a flower at all!
@cahaya1983 (9728)
Here before it rains the weather would sometimes be unusually hot so that's how I can tell if it's going to rain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Interesting! Very different from here.
I can smell it for one. My knees hurt a lot is another. We haven't had rain for a few days now and my knees are working great - no pain. Just the way I like it. What I don't like is smelling snow in the air, giving me all kinds of expectations for it and it goes elsewhere - north or south of us. Absolutely not fair! I'm trying to work a deal out with God for lots of snow and a couple blizzards this year for the lack of snow we've had the last couple years. I don't think it will work though. God don't make deals. Though I think he did when my dad passed. The Cubs won the Series. So it's worth a try. I'd like to see a lot of snow this year, not just a couple inches.
@LoriAMoore (10171)
I can usually tell when I look out the window and see little drops of water falling from the sky.
• Japan
My cat starts getting impatient, pacing and meowing. She does this whenever a storm is blowing in, but as soon as it hits, she stops.
Usually, I just look at the sky. If it's really gray, it's going to rain.