Potato chips and popcorn in our fruitcake?

@sallypup (21926)
Moses Lake, Washington
Not really. No, though its fruitcake assembly night. I bought a little bag of potato chips for us workers. I also plan to make a bowl of popcorn cause 3 ounces of potato chips is legally 3 servings but really not much to fill a hungry belly. I chopped three cups of mixed dried fruit, then dates and figs last night. I dumped in raisins and some chopped filberts and slivered almonds and a little candied orange rind. I poured apple cider and honey over all that tasty fruit and nut mix then spooned it together. That sits and soaks until today. So tonight its time for us to mix together butter and grape jam and eggs and a little molasses and spices and wheat flour. Hubby will put buttered waxed paper into pans and bake the cakes in a slow oven. The pans will sit over a pan of water. Kind of like steaming. I found our DVD of The Homecoming. That movie is the pilot for the Waltons. The adults are not the same actors as the folks in the TV series. Great Christmas movie if you haven't seen it. Great drama about family times in the Great Depression. This is the start of our Yule. Maybe I will find some Yule spirit from this traditional evening.
Too much fruit for me but good luck eating it. You need some stomach relief incase.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@sharon6345 A person eats a little at a time. Its a Christmas tradition. We send little cakes to folks that have asked for one, like my daughter and hubby's uncle.
@sallypup Oh that would send me to the E.r. I am glad it's nice for you though.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@sharon6345 Its the only treat that we will make for this Christmas. No tasty, buttery sugar cookies etc. It probably will last us over a month.
The fruit cakes will be great with so much good stuff in them.
Their is two kinds we make but neither is like yours. I don`t have all of what I put in the refrigerator fruitcake but I already made these in this link
I cannot even remember where I learned to make this cake, nor who taught me. But I do recall my step mother bringing the starter home. ...
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@andriaperry How fun. I believe our fruitcakes is the dark old fashioned one.
@sallypup The fridge fruit cakes are dark and you can add rum but I chose not to.
@ebanreb (4759)
What is the taste of that fruitcake? sounds new to me lol
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@ebanreb Its rich and tasty. The nuts add a nice taste with the fruit.
@ebanreb (4759)
@sallypup really nice one
Interesting fruitcake recipe.
So what does it taste like with popcorn and potato chips in it?
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Hannihar That was a joke.
@sallypup Sorry did not get it Lenore. Can I laugh now? Ha, Ha, Ha,
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Hannihar Be my guest.
I haven't seen that movie yet, I check it out.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@rebelann You will like it. The first part is priceless; the strong narrator voice as John Boy tugs on their Jersey cow, making old Bossy come in to the barn from the snow, his brothers and sisters trailing along. Oh just good stuff.
I'm more of a trekkie @sallypup I never could get into the Waltons show.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@rebelann Well, beam me up Scotty! I thought you'd like the country life.
• Portland, Connecticut
That sounds like a very nice tradition. I was thinking about steaming my Christmas pudding that I bought from the Vermont Country Store, I love Christmas pudding. I did order a fruitcake from Collins Street Bakery and it will be here by December 8.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@BelleStarr Those food photos in the Vermont Country Store catalog look so real and tempting. Are they as good as they appear to be?
• Portland, Connecticut
@sallypup Everything from their store is good. They do carry a lot of American made local goods.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@BelleStarr I love their catalog.
Enjoy your fruitcakes. I'm not a fan.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DianneN I generally am not a fan, either. Our fruitcakes have real fruit and real butter and honey in them. That makes a huge difference for me, anyway.
@sallypup Send me a slice! lol
@sallypup Thanks! I'd appreciate a little chunk. That's how I feel about my New York Cheesecakes. It is a huge expense money wise and timewise, but worth it in the end.
@kobesbuddy (19380)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Have you ever made that fruitcake before? It sounds like you have that recipe down pat, like it's one you remember well. Let me know how it turns out, I'd love to know! Thanks:)
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@kobesbuddy Its a tradition for us. It generally turns out very tasty. We send a little one to my daughter and another to hubby's uncle. Its a Rodale recipe so the main sweetener in it honey.
@kobesbuddy (19380)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@sallypup Honey is a wonderful sweetener, not to mention it's very healthy, too:)
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@kobesbuddy I really like my old Rodale cookbook. There's a good recipe for carrot cake that also uses honey instead of refined sugar.
The little cakes that you make sound really good. I bet they are good tasting.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@jstory07 Its good to hear from you. I think they have turned out well this year.
@sallypup That is great. I hope everyone enjoys them.
@sallypup (21926)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@jstory07 We only give fruitcakes to folks who really ask for them cause it takes quite a bit of money and time and effort to make them. My daughter and hubby's uncle have had them in past Christmas's so we'll send them a little one again this time around.
@LeaPea2417 (15362)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is neat that you make your own fruit cakes.
Now, I'm craving for some fruitcake!
@cahaya1983 (9655)
I like fruit cakes but never tried one with nuts. Sounds nice though.
I have never made a fruitcake. My mom is the only one that enjoys it and she really shouldn't have much because of her being a diabetic. I do pick up a small one to give her in her Christmas basket. She eats it all at once and I know her sugar goes wonky because of it. However, with her being in ill health, I feel it is best to keep her happy while we can.
@KrauseHome (33378)
Sounds like some Great family bonding time. I know I have seen the Homecoming before but not in a longtime. Maybe that will be one I will have to lookup and find on our Dragonbox.
• Rochester, New York
I've never tried fruit cake, though it is on my list of foods to try.
I do enjoy watching The Waltons. Your fruitcakes sound good.