Good News: New Jersey Man finds a Multi-Million Dollar Lottery Ticket In Shirt Pocket

By DB
Jimmy Smith of East Orange, New Jersey (U.S.), recently found a 24 Million dollar lottery ticket in one of his old shirts after watching a TV news report. The retired security guard has been buying tickets since the 1960's but doesn't always check them right away. Smith's sixth sense wound up to be correct as the lottery ticket he purchased in New York was going to expire in another 2 days. He was one lucky fellow which brings me to ask this question. If you play the lottery or scratch offs do you check the numbers right away or are you in know rush to see if you won? Have you ever discovered you had won a prize in any game of chance after thinking you lost? I had that happen when playing Bingo. Should of paid better attention to my cards and numbers. Also, it hasn't happened to me, but when they do raffles I have seen people not check their tickets in time and they call off another one. Any similar experiences? Source- Summarizied from US & World Report/Associated Press Photo- Google Images/abcnews.go.com
Wow, he was lucky wasn't he? We rarely buy lotto tickets and often forget to check them immediately although we do after a few days,
I am the same way. I will do the scratch-offs right away.
@LeaPea2417 (15421)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That was lucky!
Especially with 2 days to go before the ticket was no longer valid. Amazing that he decided to look in his shirt to see.
@LeaPea2417 (15421)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@dgobucks226 Right in the nick of time.
@FayeHazel (11863)
Very lucky! I play very rarely -- bingo, and scratch games --- I just won $1
Well 1 dollar is better than none, unless you spent a dollar for your ticket
@FayeHazel (11863)
@dgobucks226 Lol! That is exactly what I did. At least I got my $1 back :-)
@FayeHazel Yes, even steven
Wow good for him! I am sure glad he checked it in time.
I know, wonder what special forces were at work to make him check right then to see if he won?
@dgobucks22 exactly. I guess it was meant to be!
I guess it is really meant for him to have the lucky numbers in his pocket. I hope I can have his luck in a lottery.
One of those things that was just meant to be.
@dgobucks226 I do agree on that. The luck is intended to be unexpected.
@Shavkat I like how you phrased that
@sallypup (22047)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I don't gamble. A friend of mine used to play the lottery. She counted her pennies carefully but still spent a few dollars on the lottery every month. I don't believe she won much ever.
Yes, that's why they call it gambling I guess? At least that what I've been told when I lose, lol.
@sallypup (22047)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@dgobucks226 I don't even go to bingo games. I guess I'm just not fun.
@sallypup I buy the occasional lottery ticket when the prize reaches a very large amount (so not often). When I think of it, I will buy a scratch-off ticket maybe every couple of months. I am not very lucky
@tusziget (254)
Awesome news for the Lottery winner.He was lucky to win the jackpot and he was lucky that he checked in time,and the Lottery ticket was still valid.
Imagine if he waited to long. Wow, that would just be such a killer feeling to know you lost that amount of money.
@tusziget (254)
@dgobucks226 Wow.I did not even want to imagine that. He had good instincts to check his shirt and the Lottery ticket.
@tusziget Yes, he certainly did
That was sure a stroke of luck. I don't play the lottery anymore. Not much chance of winning with so many doing it.
Yes, like a needle in a haystack, or so it seems...
@dgobucks226 ......Very much so.
I do not play often and most of the time, I forget for days to check if I won or lost. I never won.
I have never won anything significant either.
Sounds like the luckiest man on earth .
He was one lucky guy for sure! I wonder if he will continue to buy tickets?
• Rochester, New York
The most I've won in scratch off's is $50. I buy the Power Ball and other tickets every so often when the jackpot it high.
Yes, I think the most I won at scratch off was $20. I won $40 once playing pick 4. It was so many years ago it was like it happened to someone else
I always check the results right away. Anyway, good for the guy. Hope he doesn't blow away all his winnings like the others.
That is so true! Some people have no control when it comes to money
Wow. I can't imagine the unreal feeling of possessing such a ticket.
Well said! Imagine what was going through that guys head when he found out he won that sum.
@YrNemo (8744)
I wouldn't know. As in, I have often bought tickets out of obligations for this or that organizations, but my duty ends there. If they contact me, great, but if not, fine too. (With scratch-offs, I do it right away before dumping the thing in the bin! I am a terribly forgetful person.)
I always scratch them as soon as I get them.
Not one for surprises, huh....
@dgobucks226 - Knowing me I'd lose it.