Why do parents do this to their children?

Pixabay image
Rochester, New York
While in a store today I saw a few things that parent's did to their children that make me want to literally burst into tears... One woman was pushing a toddler in a shopping cart. The toddler dropped a small piece of pretzel on the ground. When the mother noticed that she flipped, slapped the little one and proceeded to yell at her for being a nuisance. The little one was literally crying and hiding her face in her hands. The only good thing here was that her father showed up and took his daughter away into the mall only after ripping the mother apart in front of other customers. His last words to her were "That is the last time you lay a hand on my daughter. Find your own way home."
@hereandthere (32491)
by the child's reaction (putting her hands up) and the father's reaction, maybe this is not the first time she hits her
@nanette64 (17851)
• Fairfield, Texas
I think you're right @hereandthere .
• Rochester, New York
I think your right as well.
Thank goodness the father had brains!!!!
• Rochester, New York
I agree with you there.
WWay to go dad!
• Rochester, New York
Yeah Dad was cool, the mother not so much.
I wonder if she is the REAL mother, surely he is the father, may be she is only a step mother.
@nanette64 (17851)
• Fairfield, Texas
I have a feeling that is the case @LadyDuck .
@nanette64 Poor kid, I do not think that a real mother could do something like this.
@nanette64 (17851)
• Fairfield, Texas
@LadyDuck We all have our frustrating days but still; it sounds like this woman does this all the time.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
wow good for the dad, she is a wee one they drop things.
• Rochester, New York
My nieces used to drop stuff all the time. Never would they get hit for doing that.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@LisaSteinmetz All kids drop stuff as do adults we shouldn't get smacked for it.
Some people just ... .
• Rochester, New York
My thoughts exactly, almost every day actually.
@LisaSteinmetz sameee. Lol
Wow unbelievable. The poor little darling. I hope the father stays true to his words.
• Rochester, New York
I hope he did too. The little one was adorable, it breaks my heart to think that the mother could have been that nasty to her.
@LisaSteinmetz i so not understand somebody like that. How can they hurt an innocent child. If sge treats that child like that in public then I am sure things are much worse at home
@nanette64 (17851)
• Fairfield, Texas
Something tells me that child gets a lot of abuse from that woman @LisaSteinmetz . Hopefully that guy gets rid of that woman.
• Rochester, New York
I hope so as well.
@lady1993 (19708)
what?! people should never hit kids at all it was a good thing the father defended his daughter
• Rochester, New York
He is definitely a good father. There are a lot of good ones out there.
That's awful at least the dad stood up for her.
• Rochester, New York
I have seen a lot of Dads stand up to the mother's of their children in the store. Sad to say, but most of the time it happens around the holiday's.
Poor little soul! I think some Mums seem to need to draw attention to themselves when they're out with their kids.
• Rochester, New York
She definitely got some attention.
@cahaya1983 (10039)
I hope that serves as a lesson for her. Punishing a toddler like that for a small piece of pretzel dropping on the ground? Unbelievable.
• Rochester, New York
Sadly I have seen worse.
The best out of the worst, the littile girl has a good father.
• Rochester, New York
There are many good dads out there, I have seen quite a few of them at my work.
Someone saw my friend beat gina in the superstore with a cooking spoon. She followed her home and got her address. she reported her to child welfare. It was the best thing that happened for my friend. She was in a horrible living situation. she was given case workers people came to the home to allow her to go out food shopping. She was able to go to the laundry for two hours. She got therapy and mental health care for all of her children. When I was in a store i saw a woman beat her son for a juice. I went outside to the front of the store.I called the police and told them what she was wearing and what she did. I told them what cashier they could also speak to. I then left the store because here that could get me killed. In life, it's best to look for ways to help in any way you can. Onlookers and gossip help no one. That woman that followed my friend home did something awesome for her.She needed help.You never know what people are going though at home. Not saying she has any right to beat the child. But there are cultures where that is normal. I hope more people would figure out a way to help if anything at all. it could save a life.
• Rochester, New York
I have seen so many thing that would send social workers into a frenzy. With some of the things I have seen, most children would be taken away from their parents.
She won't be winning any 'Mother Of The Year' award.
• Rochester, New York
Not even close to getting any kind of award.
@kobesbuddy (52775)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Good for that father, displaying chastisement on the mother, for her child abuse!
• Rochester, New York
I agree. Too many folks talk about the deadbeat dads and they rarely talk about the good Dads like this.
@kobesbuddy (52775)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LisaSteinmetz My son-in-law is an excellent Dad! Aubrey runs to him a lot of times, when my daughter is far too busy with other things:(
@ridingbet (57758)
bravo to the father. i would also do that is i am the dad of the child. kids should not be slapped.
• Rochester, New York
I have seen quite a few dads to that at my work, which is always nice.
@sol_cee (16889)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I doubt if she’s the biological mother. But then..
• Rochester, New York
I certainly hope not!
@sallypup (28010)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Oooh. I wonder if those two were in the middle of a nasty divorce or some such? Poor kid got in the middle.
• Rochester, New York
I have never seen them before so I'm not sure. If so hopefully the little one isn't used as leverage.
@valmnz (12754)
• New Zealand
That is terrible. Maybe the woman wasn't the child's real mother, but the father's new partner. Some poor kids definitely deserve better than they get!
• Rochester, New York
You could definitely tell that this father loved his little girl so I'm hoping that if she was a new partner that she is no longer one now.