A Large Family equals Complicated Decisions

Graphic courtesy of Google Images
Laguna Woods, California
We are already making plans for the coming year, and things are getting complicated. We have four adult daughters, four son-in-laws, and seven grandchildren ranging in age from 2 to 25. Over the Thanksgiving holiday, we learned that our youngest daughter, who already has a two year-old and a three year-old, is pregnant again! The newest baby is due in June. June is going to be an especially complicated month for us. One of our granddaughters will be graduating from high school, and a number of relatives are coming to town for that event. A week later, another granddaughter will be graduating from Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. A number of friends and relatives will be going to Central California and staying at the Madonna Inn for that event. We were present for the births of both of our youngest daughter's babies. This time, her husband will have six weeks of paternity leave, so she suggested we go to Delaware in the fall to see the new baby. This morning, I learned that my nephew, a firefighter from St. Louis, will be getting married in Niagra Falls in September. So, now we want to combine our trip to the East Coast to see our daughters with our nephew's wedding. In addition, we are also making plans to meet my sister, brother-in-law and my 89 year-old father in Las Vegas in January. In February, our pregnant daughter will be bringing her family to visit us, before she gets too far along in her pregnancy to travel. In July, our daughter who lives in New York will be bringing her family to visit us. We were hoping to plan a vacation for just my husband and I, but I don't know when we'll have the time! It isn't even the end of 2017, and 2018 is already looking unbelievably busy!
@moffittjc (35766)
• Gainesville, Florida
I got lost just reading your post! How do you keep up with all those family members and who's coming where and who's going where? haha
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - Ha ha! Sometimes it can be a little hard to keep track of everything. I love having a smart phone with all the birthdays, anniversaries, graduations and other special occasions listed. Before my phone, I would write it all down every year in my day timer ... much more time consuming! Plus, I had to do it in pencil, since the celebrations were constantly changing!
@moffittjc (35766)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DeborahDiane Thank goodness for the rise of smartphone technology! Prior to entering everything into my smartphone for safe keeping and reminding, I would never write anything down! I was always missing birthdays and other celebrations because I forgot all about them. Now, I just set alarms on my phone to remind me! haha
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - Me, too! Smartphones have made life soooo much easier. In fact, I think some of my friends in their 70s actually may already have mild Alzheimers, but they are able to cover it up because of their smartphones. What would we do without them?
Wow, I hope you're writing all these things down! I'd be in danger of forgetting a few of them otherwise.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Ha ha! Sometimes it can be a little hard to keep track of everything. I love having a smart phone with all the birthdays, anniversaries, graduations and other special occasions listed. Before my phone, I would write it all down every year in my day timer ... much more time consuming! Plus, I had to do it in pencil, since the celebrations were constantly changing! I can tell that 2018 is going to be very busy for us!
@DeborahDiane These smart phones really are that aren't they? Smart. Maybe I'd better think about getting one.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Oh, yes! I love mine. It is like having a computer, calculator, pager, calendar and much more in your pocket. And, you can even make phone calls on it!
Congratulations to you on the pending birth of your newest grandchild!!!! June is a very special month. My granddaughter and I were both born in June! Good luck with your plans!
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Thanks! We're excited about the future birth! Yes, June is very special. We already have one granddaughter with a birthday that month!
You do have a lot of great things happening in 2018. I don't think you have room on the calendar for just the two of you.
@DeborahDiane That you know of. Babies can happen at any time you know.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - Ha ha! You make a good point. Since I have two granddaughters in their 20s, I guess anything could be going on in another couple of years! Of course, since neither of them are married, I hope they take their time about getting married and having kids!
@DeborahDiane I hope they do too. Although my kids and granddaughter weren't married when they had kids.
You certainly have a busy 2018 coming up. Lots of fun and exciting times.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Happy2BeMe - Yes, we will have lots of fun and exciting times in 2018. Hope we survive all the excitement! LOL
@DeborahDiane and i am sure they were be much more by the time the year ends
• Laguna Woods, California
@Happy2BeMe - Yes! I think I will need all of 2019 to recover from 2018! LOL
You must be excited, you are going to be grandmother again, congratulations. You surely have a very busy planning.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Yes, we are excited about having another grandchild, although the year is going to be very busy for us. I cannot believe how our family continues to grow and grow!
@Fleura (6225)
You certainly have your hands full, I hope you have a nice big calendar! Unfortunately every time I hear or read about San Luis Obispo it reminds me of my cousin who was killed near there in 2011.
A 21-year-old Nipomo man who, while drunk, crashed into and killed a cyclist from England last year in rural Arroyo Grande was sentenced to four years in state prison Wednesday in San Luis Obispo Superior Court.
@Fleura (6225)
@DeborahDiane Thank you. He had already completed charity cycle rides across other, what could be considered more dangerous, countries. The driver must be free by now, I wonder what he is doing and whether he remembers his promise to do good with his life?
• Laguna Woods, California
@Fleura - I wonder the same thing. I am glad he has completed charity cycle rides in other countries. I'm sorry this country did not turn out to be as safe as it should have been.
@Fleura (6225)
@DeborahDiane Bad things can happen anywhere.
You have an extended family .Since Your family will have a string of happy events in 2018, you will have a busy schedule in the coming year.It is great that you have six weeks of paternity leave there.
• Laguna Woods, California
@changjiangzhibin89 - Yes, it will be very busy for our family in 2018. I am so glad my son-in-law will have six weeks of paternity leave! He will be able to help our daughter a lot.
@DeborahDiane Although you will be busy in 2018,but they are happy things that the busier you are,the happier you feel.
• Laguna Woods, California
@changjiangzhibin89 - Yes, I will be busy, but happy!
Yey another angel. Another lucky charm. Big family happy family.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Friendlypink - I agree! A big family can be a happy family!
@YrNemo (8744)
Hope you have the energy to cope with 2018 and all its important events/plans. I got dizzy just read this post of yours from beginning to end .
• Laguna Woods, California
@YrNemo - I understand! I got dizzy writing it all down. It is hard to keep track of everything. I love having a smart phone with all the birthdays, anniversaries, graduations and other special occasions listed. Before my phone, I would write it all down every year in my day timer ... much more time consuming! Plus, I had to do it in pencil, since the celebrations were constantly changing! Life is easier, now ... at least as far as keeping track of everything.
@kiran8 (15289)
• Mangalore, India
It is complicated going by your post but it also wonderful to know that you are managing your family and inter personal relationship s so we'll, not many can do it ...all the best
• Laguna Woods, California
@kiran8 - Thank you! Our family has grown so large, it is hard to keep track of everything that is going on with everyone!
@cahaya1983 (9723)
Exciting news about the new addition to the family, congratulations! Seems like 2018 will be busy and fun for you and your family.
• Laguna Woods, California
@cahaya1983 - Yes, 2018 will be busy and fun. I may need all of 2019 in order to recover from 2018.