Why Does MYLOT Work The Way It Does? Why Interaction?

myLot logo
Denmark
One topic that is discussed again and again is how myLot works. In order not to bore myself to death, I've saved an explanatory text which I paste into the comment thread of newbies. The question is why is this necessary much more than on other sites? I've been on many sites in my 17 years online. No site worked like myLot. The reason why newbies need a helping hand may be: - They think they know everything anyway and don't need instructions. They discover a site, don't read the Guidelines and post away. Often, it doesn't take long until one or more of their discussions are deleted or even the account closed. This happened today with a member who mixed up myLot with a soft porn site and informed the community about her sexual adventures. - Other newbies do what they know from other sites, i.e., they flood the Recent Discussions list with one post after the other and then wait to see the money rolling in. MyLot is a writing site, isn't it? Don't you earn by writing? Well, in the case of myLot the answer is obviously, "No, you don't". - This brings me to the vital question why the earning scheme on myLot is so different from other sites. There must be a reason why Mr MyLot has decided to spill out the money he gets from advertisements in the way it's done. I haven't got the foggiest idea how money from ads on the site turns into myLot earnings. Suffice to know that it does. The only reason that I can think of is that deep down in his heart he's a philanthropist (from the net: "A conventional modern definition [of philanthropy] is private initiatives, for the public good, focusing on quality of life," which combines an original humanistic tradition with a social scientific aspect developed in the 20th century.") Does Mr MyLot want to bring people together? Has he thought of the hurdle of interaction so that people who want to earn something (and who doesn't?) *have* to get in contact with each other? If my theory doesn't convince you, what do *you* think is the reason behind interacting?
• Rochester, New York
Great post here. Also I think that if you want to make money here then posts need to be more than one line long. Too many folks make one lined posts and get upset because those posts are hardly commented on. Spelling is a big thing as well, if your posts can't be understood then you won't get comments.
• Denmark
That's correct!
@pgntwo (21733)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
A screenful's a decent amount, with a picture, a couple of tags, and a link to something relevant should the reader's curiosity be piqued by the post...
I know it's all about interacting rather than writing but I don't like the really short posts either.
I believe that Mr. MyLot is a noble fellow who wants people from many nations to find that we all have similar worries, likes, dislikes, problems, wants, needs, successes etc. Forming a bond with those from places far away may just make for a better world, thinks Mr. MyLot.
• Denmark
I'd like to assume this as well!
Interesting post. I don't have any other theory.
• Riga, Latvia
Personally I think that this site make it easy to interact and by now I almost recognize everyone by name. It has such an easy feel here that coming on here is like coming home. Whatever formula they have it sure is working. I am thrilled about getting some pay out but I am also glad to be here and interacting with everyone. I am on another site where they try to get people to have the possibility to read the articles of their followers however the interaction is not as much and the way to any kind of payout is at a snails pace. I say hat's off to myLot!
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
The interaction side of this site is definitely different from other sites. It makes you change your thinking about why you're here. Which is why I keep bouncing back even though my time is limited. There are many of you here that I've come to know well over the years and I like that.Because my presence is inconsistent here I rarely meet payout point, two or three times a year! So, I forget about the money side of it much of the time. So different from how I used to be.
When one signs up, I guess the assumption is this is like any of those other sites. The thing is, time has shown that this site holds up . . . most other sites have not. Certainly having to interact in order to earn would motivate people to actually interact . . . and that's a good thing as it actually does happen to bring people together. No one here gets away with solely posting tons of posts . . . that's like a one sided conversation that is all me me me. People actually have to communicate and get along here with each other - what a concept!
• Denmark
So you think that Mr Mylot has such a humanitarian concept, do you?
@MALUSE Well I'm not certain that was the intent, but it sure works out that way. People can mindlessly post all they want, but in the long one no one would care - they'd just care about posting. At least through interacting, people would need to build relationships and care about each others posts - and how wonderful that many of us started caring for each other. This is what could keep the people here in the long run and hopefully keep the site running for a long time.
@CoralLevang (40844)
I agree with you, but I disagree that we all have to get along!
I hope the newbies read this.
• Denmark
I doubt this very much. They're busy composing one-liners with which they'll clog the Recent Discussions list so that good posts are pushed to the bottom and aren't noticed anymore.
@MALUSE I doubt it very much, too. Unfortunately, there will always be fools in this world.
• Denmark
@DianneN "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe!" -- attributed to Albert Einstein.
@Ronrybs (7132)
• London, England
I thought about how myLot works and never really convinced myself about that. You are right that people jump straight in without finding out how the site works, I did that myself!
• Denmark
It's good to read that I'm not the only one who's curious. So you haven't come up with a theory?
@Ronrybs (7132)
• London, England
@MALUSE Not really, I do enjoy a flight of fancy about it, though
@averygirl72 (14059)
Definitely mylot values interaction. It is a social media site. We all need the others to interact with us we need to have loyal followers over time
• Denmark
I know but other writing sites have different concepts. I'd like to know why interaction is stressed so much here.
Reading the guidelines on any site is fundamental to success on the site. Mylot works and I am sure glad it does. Interacting is important in all walks of life.
@lovebuglena (3155)
I just saw a post from someone asking others to respond to that person's discussions so that person can reach payout. Pretty sure that's not allowed. Surprised that discussion is still not removed.
@MALUSE I didn't do anything. I think I may have responded to it and moved on.
I think that people come to make money and find that there is a community here, some join in and its wonderful. After a while no one cares about the money but the people instead.
• Denmark
This is certainly correct but is not an answer why we *must* interact to earn some money.
What you wrote makes the most sense.
Very interesting read. I hope many will take the time to read this.
• Denmark
I've got some interesting answers and think I've understood the idea behind interaction now. See Koalemos' answer below, for example.
@MALUSE I just read it and it makes perfect sense. I will read through all the answers when I get a bit more time.
@Raelove (15525)
• Saco, Maine
It has been my experience that no one goes into business, any business, in order to primarily change the world or to experience an Ebenezer Scrooge epiphany. Rather, they go into it first and foremost to generate an income for themselves. As to whether or not our "earnings" reflect THEIR revenues, we'll never know that, because they are under no obligation to disclose that information to us. (But I'd venture a guess that, like all business owners, they're keeping the bulk of said revenues for themselves.) I don't pretend to know how Mr. (or Mrs., Miss, or Ms.) Mylot thinks. What I like about this site is that how it is used is left entirely up to each one of us. And I take it is a positive sign that those of us who do not interact a lot are still here marching to the beat of our own personal drummers.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sounds like a good theory.
@m_audrey6788 (11525)
You have a point there but in my own understanding that mylot is simply a community where you can mingle and had a great interactions international Friendships can also be part here where we can be ourselves but in a good manner
@AliCanary (1753)
I guess it works the way Facebook does--they make a TON of money. At least Mr. MyLot is nice enough to pay us. A philanthropist, indeed!
• Denmark
@AliCanary If you're interested in the technicalities, read the answer of the member Koalemos below. He's explained it well. That's what I wanted to know.
• Denmark
@AliCanary That's another mystery indeed.
@bluesa (12838)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I think he wants to bring people together. He is all about the chatting. Whether we all get along or not, a conversation will be had.
@bluesa (12838)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@MALUSE, it is a nice thought that it is to help people connect, but yes, making sure the adverts are seen is the business as Koalemos so well explained.
@dfollin (12115)
I have no clue, it is what it is.
• Denmark
@dfollin Read the comments! Some members have explained how myLot works very well.