The Maltese Falcon

Daytona Beach, Florida
The author of the popular novel “The Maltese Falcon” Dashiell Hammett was born on May 28, 1894. Some of you may have seen the 1941 movie starring Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor. Hammett never had a lot of schooling. He left school when he was 13 and finally landed a job at Pinkerton’s detective agency. He stayed there for eight years working as a detective. He turned this knowledge into inspiration for his writing. He was able to describe violent and emotional events and his style became known as the “hard-boiled” style of detective fiction. In this style Hammett published two novels “Red Harvest” and “The Dain Curse”. Then he came out with “The Maltese Falcon” in 1929 and everyone was introduced to the popular detective Sam Spade. This novel was made into a movie three times. In 1931 starring Ricardo Cortez and Bebe Daniels, in 1936 titled “Satan Met a Lady” starring Bette Davis and in 1941 with Bogart which I believe was the most popular version. Hammet became romantically involved with playwright Lillian Hellman. She was his model for the character of Nora Charles in his 1934 comic mystery “The Thin Man” This novel was made into a very popular movie “The Thin Man” starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as the characters Nick and Nora Charles. In fact the first movie was so popular that there were five sequels. I have seen all of the movies and if you can get to see them it is well worth it. Hammett and Hellman stayed together until his death in 1961. Who has seen the movie “The Maltese Falcon” or read the book? Who has seen the “Thin Man” movies? I have added a trailer to the first “Thin Man” movie.
Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6h Subscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUn Subscribe to CLASSIC TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/1u43jDe Like us on FA...
Maltese Falcon one of the best there. The Thin man and my favorite Asta.I have this stuffed dog.
And if I didn't have my cat Sid I wouldn't mind having a dog like Asta @amadeo
@RasmaSandra yes he was a good one.
I heard about " the Maltese Falcon" but l haven't read the book , neither have l seen the movie. Interesting facts about the author.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
It has been a long while since I read any of his books, but I have all the Thin Man films and The Maltese Falcon. I enjoy watching them on a regular basis
I usually get wrapped up in my Thin Man movies and cannot wait to go from one to the next. I always nearly chock when it comes to his little boy getting his dad to drink milk instead of gin lol @Ronrybs
I honestly haven't seen any of them. I should. Modern Drunkard Magazine recommends them, which is good enough for me.
@FourWalls (14675)
I love The Maltese Falcon movie. I haven't read the book, though. I've found the instances where I've read the book after seeing the movie diminishes my enjoyment...of the movie. That wasn't the case with The Godfather, though.