No Pressure at the Dealership = Successful Visit

The local dealerships I've been to have lied to us. So, I avoid them and we drove 30 minutes out of our way to go to a different Honda dealership. I made an appointment for an oil change. Upon arrival, greeted nicely and no pressure added, just easy breezy! You're here for an oil change, perfect and they went to work! We were given a complimentary car wash too. When our car was finished being serviced, we signed the receipt and reviewed the paperwork (no problems) + No additional service needed and of course, no pressure. I love it! Do you ever feel pressured when you're going to the dealership? The last ones we've went to kept saying something is wrong, or we needed something changed, etc.
There are the good dealerships and the bad ones . . . I guess you kinda have to experience them for yourselves to find out. For a long time we were using this independent mechanic - they were great, honest, and cheaper. But ever since we got our new cars, we just went to the dealer service place as it was convenient. But since then, they got bought out by another major dealership, and now the customer service is . The work they do is fine, and it's not that we feel pressured . . . it's like they don't act like they care too much is the problem. The place isn't welcoming or friendly like they used to be . . . less people working there . . . they even took the free coffee machine away in the waiting room. I don't feel taken care of there. So we are thinking to go back to that independent mechanic. Well good that you had a good experience with this other dealership - the extra drive was worth it .
You bet! It was definitely worth the extra drive to go to this dealership . I did have a good experience when I went to go buy some auto parts here in the past but never went for car servicing. When we bought our car, we negotiated free oil change servicing for 2 years, essentially 4 oil changes or before 24,000 miles. We just hit 21,500 miles so we won't be getting another oil change. But with my fiancés previous car (that we sold) I filed a complaint with the dealership and they wouldn't acknowledge their mistake even though its in black and white on the paperwork. I escalated it to the Honda and they gave me $100 gift card and we used that to buy oil filter,motor oil and cabin air filter ended up being $70 He is going to start maintaining the car at home. I dislike dealerships in general...............
@infatuatedbby It's a relief to find a good place to take your car - so many untrustworthy places out there. Wow, you are so good about fighting for your rights . . . I know a lot of the guys at dealerships can be like doctors . . . they think they know everything and can act like bullies sometimes. You are a tough cookie and no one can mess with you . So earlier in the week I got my oil change at the dealership I hadn't been liking. We actually went last weekend but were turned down because they were too busy and we didn't have an appointment. I figured I'd give them one last shot, and if it was as bad as it had been, no more next time. Well the guy who helped me on Wednesday was a new guy . . . and he was super nice . . . I hadn't seen that from this dealership in a long time. They got me out way earlier than expected . . . but of course they found a few things . We'll have to think about it for now .
@much2say The dealership is an a$$ and won't admit their fault. I have all the receipts showing they did use the wrong parts (and they won't admit it. I understand if it's one time error but its majority of the time). When you first sign the paper work, its correct but when you get the car and sign again we don't check & it's wrong).... Argh! Anyway escalated it to Honda and they have a complaint against that location and they'll send out people to check their work. It's because Honda is a franchise or independent dealership Honda cannot interfere but because they know they were at fault, they gave us a $100 gift card. We did spend more than that in total but hey! Better than nothing. I have $30 left from the gift card since we used $70 already. If it's worth fighting for, I will. Some things I'll just eh ignore (when fiancé tells me to ignore and not worth it lol! Like I forgot to use the coupon loaded on my phone) but most of the time, I will fight!! Oh no, few things wrong. Do you think its true things? I always make an appointment for oil changes or services because they don't seem to take non appointments even though there is a option when you pull up. But the wait time is something ridiculous.
Yes, the Mercedes dealer pressures people who bring their cars in for service. My husband told them just an oil change, but they press him for other services that can add up to $300. They say if all is not done, they cannot turn off the alert-message on the dash that indicates how many days past servicing the car happens to me. My husband told them to leave the message on because we don't care. They changed the oil, turned off the message, and washed the car. I have a YouTube video bookmarked as to how to turn off the message anyway, so the dealer cannot play that came again.
Oh wow, that a complete rip off. But I did read about Lexus warranty that you have to have all dealership records of all the required maintenance if you want to keep up with the warranty. Not sure if that's true or not, but we ended up not going the Lexus route. But you could totally reset with the help of YouTube! I had to reset my dads car before and now I remember how to. :)
@infatuatedbby That is true. If we have the oil changed elsewhere, then we have to have the receipt to show the dealership or the warranty will be no more.
@Corbin5 And other maintenance too. Very strict!
Thats awesome I have only been to them when looking to buy a car. Even then I was surprised that the salespeople werent overly aggressive
I am not good at negotiating. My dad is always the one negotiating when it comes to car purchasing. :)
Nope the local mechanic I go to is wonderful! Never any problems and if there is a problem I ask if its possible to let it slide since I have a very low budget. He never makes me feel pressured to get things done.
That is wonderful you have a good relationship with your local mechanic!
@nomus24g (16428)
Hiya!
@nomus24g (16428)
@infatuatedbby howz ur day?
@nomus24g It was okay :) I went out of town yesterday so I wasn't really that active you?
I've never taken a car to the dealership. Too expensive.
We negotiated 2 year oil change plan when we bought the car. It was no cost to us
@infatuatedbby - Ah. No reason not to, then!
@teamfreak16 Totally!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, they "always" find something wrong that you didn't know about.
They do! I am glad this place didn't :) No pressure anywhere from the start
• Pleasant Hill, California
@infatuatedbby Excellent! Stick with them.
@TheHorse I will do! Hopefully second experience and forward won't have any problems. But we're going to do oil changes from home now though, my fiancé will. When we bought our car we negotiated a 2 year oil change plan so we have't had to do oil changes.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've never had an issue like that at the Ford dealership where I take my F-150 truck. I always make an appointment ahead of time online, and tell them exactly what I want done. Then, I drop the truck off and they address whatever it is that I wrote in the comments when I made the online appointment. I've never had any pressure from them to do anything other than what I've asked them to do.
They don't ever mention anything needs to be done besides an oil change? Or recommend?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby If they discover something wrong, they'll let me know, but they don't try to sell me things I don't need.
@moffittjc That's good to hear. :)
I've been to Toyota, Honda, Nissan,Mitsubishi and Ford and the worst dealership I've had was with Nissan. The best among them is Toyota, quick and great service plus tip is never allowed there because there's already a service charge included in the fee plus there's always a complimentary carwash. I hate Mitsubishi because the people there cannot be trusted. Good thing that we know somebody from the inside so we know our car is safe. Honda is ok. Ford here takes too long in doing their service.
I don't know any dealership that takes tip I think the cost of servicing at the dealership is expensive as is. I have never been to so many dealerships, just Honda and Toyota. My dad likes Toyota servicing too, they do a through job and if the service is longer than a couple hours they even give you a complimentary car to take.
@infatuatedbby We have different brands of cars so we have been to almost dealership. Only Mitsubishi dealership asks for tip and they'd really follow you around. That's forbidden in other dealerships because there's already a service fee included.
@toniganzon Yes lots of different brands! :) Wow first time of hearing tip. No tip here, or if it is. I've never tipped!
@katsmeow1213 (28927)
My husband knows a few mechanics.. one at a local shop and one a bit away. So when our cars need servicing he goes straight to them. The local one is actually the manager of the shop. Sometimes his employees will try to tell us our cars need something, but hubby will just call up the manager and nip that in the bud. He also has some friends that know a thing or two about cars and will do a lot of the repairs for free for us. It's good to know people!
We only go to the dealership right now for servicing (well it's our last one) because when we purchased our car new we negotiated in a 2 year oil change package. Now that it's over, we'll be servicing the car ourselves. It's hard to trust people, but if you have a good reliable mechanic + good relationship do stick with it!
@infatuatedbby We do go to our dealership occasionally when it's something covered by warranty.. but the warranty recently expired so we won't be going there anymore.
@katsmeow1213 Gotcha! We still have bumper to bumper until the car is 3 or 5 years, but hopefully we won't need to change anything else.
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
Glad to hear it went good this time ! I have had a problem like that as well
I hate experiencing problems at the dealership and I'm glad it went smoothly too. Thank you.
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
@infatuatedbby yes that’s the good part !
Glad to hear there was no pressure some are way over the top.
Yes, I hate being pressured!
@ridingbet (37921)
hmm, no idea about dealership here. i just drive my brother's car. heheh!
Heheh that is nice!!
@Madshadi (4856)
• Brussels, Belgium
I’ve had issues with some of them but now the one i go to is very good
That is good you found a reliable one.
I don't. Usually it is just the dealership's way of getting more money from you. They make up problems that are non-existent in the first place.
Yes, they did with a previous car we had. We won't be going to the dealership anymore. The first two years, we received free oil changes as a package that we negotiated in the offer when we purchased our car new.
@YrNemo (8630)
They most often play that game, unfortunately. I am worried about facing that in the future. Right now, my car is still under warranty, so no hassle yet.