Christmas Scoreboard - Humanity 1, Grinch 0

By JJ
People on myLot are scheaky. I received this totally innocuous PM here last week asking for my address so someone could send me a Christmas card. So I gave them Scar's name and my address (Scar never gets mail, I thought he'd appreciate a card). Saturday, it showed up. And when I opened the card to read what was written inside, a check for several hundred dollars with the words 'new computer' written in the memo section fell on the desk. And my very first thought was "I can't accept this". Yes, I need a new computer, as I mentioned a few weeks ago. Yes, I am probably what you would consider 'poor' (my earnings for the year are far below the federal 'poverty' level). But this was just too much to accept from someone that I only know through myLot. And if they had asked "Can I send you money for a new computer?" I would have said 'No thank you'. So I was extremely conflicted. And I had asked a few people what should I do, and explained I was 'uncomfortable' about it since this isn't someone I know other than here. _________________________________________________________ After two days, I decided I would accept it for what it is. For years, I have dropped money into buckets for the Salvation Army, donated to fund drives by the fire department, tucked a few dollars here and there into collections for people that have lost their home in a fire, or suffered from cancer or muscular dystrophy or other things. Even though at times it might be the last dollar I was carrying. I've donated time and equipment to fundraisers for children and those in need. And I thought that maybe it was my turn...maybe God, or karma, or what have you, decided that I have always given...and although I knew about giving, maybe it was time to learn about receiving as well. So I ordered that new computer and sent the person a PM to thank them. And I don't want to mention their name here...and I don't want them to mention their name here. But I wanted to say that sometimes, even The Grinch can be touched. More than just in the head. Thank you, and Merry Christmas.
". . . And the Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day . . . "
...so he pricked it with a needle or people would wonder what was wrong with him
@JolietJake . . . he myLotted three hours, til his myLotter was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Though we live in a world of insanity, This restored his faith in humanity . Well maybe .
@much2say I lobe your poem! Is it a limerick in form? I am not totally sure of the form of the limerick but am trying to learn how to write poetry.
@FourWalls (9915)
You can still have a miserable Christmas, don't let this get you down. God bless you and whoever blessed you.
But now they are gonna make me have to work at bein' a grumpy old fart
There are good people around and you are LOVED! I'm glad someone could bless you in that way.
I don't know why it is so hard for me to accept help when I offer it often...maybe it's because I know there are others that need it more than me and forget that even so, I need it too at times
• Marion, Kansas
@JolietJake There is a reason why the Good Book says "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Receiving is hard. It makes you feel needy, even if you did not before. You have received a blessing and have also blessed them by accepting it.
Aww, I got all teary eyed! Yes it is your turn, be happy.
I'm thinking I may take this computer I already have and reformat it back to factory specs and send it to my oldest sister for Christmas, she's been without one for almost a year and I miss talking to her on facebook
@JolietJake that's a great idea!
@JolietJake perfect Christmas present to your sister it would be spreading the love even further! you can start a new spread the love movement!!! Glad you are getting a new computer as you are such a special person and treat Scar so well i am sure he loves you dearly! Anybody who treats animals as well as you make you a great person in my eyes.
Wow and it couldnt happen to a more deserving person. I am so happy for you. Enjoy your new computer.
I'd been putting it off for a few years...something else always seemed to come up. When I get it, the first thing I'll do online is PM the person about it.
@JolietJake That is so cool. I actually teared up when I read your post. What a great thing for this person to do. Yes indeed there is a Santa Claus!
Seriously?! Wow! That is an amazing gift. Do you know who sent it?!
Yes, I know whom it came from.
@JolietJake wow. Wonderful. Ps on an unrelated note now that we know your address would it be appropriate to bombard you with Christmas cards? Hahaha
@maezee I edited my address out, didn't think about it at first
That's great. I'm glad you accepted the gift. Sometimes we do need to accept something and just say 'thank you'. They wouldn't have offered the gift if they couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't etc.
But see, I offer stuff even when it means I might have to do without something...just how I'm 'wired' I guess...so I worry about if they can really 'afford' it too
@JolietJake You need to try to accept that they can (afford it) and, even if they can't, maybe they're a bit like you and like to offer help. I think it would have been a great shame to knock back their kind offer.
Wow, that's awesome.
Every time Scar 'n I think 'hoomins suck' something comes along to remind me not all of them do
@JolietJake there's definitely a good bunch that don't right here on mylot.
@valmnz (13136)
• New Zealand
So fantastic that there's still a lot of goodness in this world. Enjoy your new computer.
Humanity surprises me sometimes...just when I think I have it all figured out, something comes along from left field
@valmnz (13136)
• New Zealand
@JolietJake just think how boring life would be if it was predictable
@Madshadi (4633)
• Brussels, Belgium
It's a gift and I'm glad you accepted it. One would never imagine something like that to happen on a social site by people who never met each other in real life. That is just inspiring.
It isn't the first time someone here has done something totally unexpected, but it is certainly the biggest thing I have had happen to me. And the other times I knew them on other sites as well.
@LoriAMoore (9966)
Has the grinch's small heart grown three sizes this day?
Just for a minute, I'll regain my senses in a few days
What a wonderful surprise! I am so happy for you!
I was totally freaked. You know how I get about that kind of stuff.
@sishy7 (27245)
Aww... I had to read this several times over making sure I didn't miss the pun or sarcasm or whatever... But yeah, there were none of those in this post for a change. It's just simply a beautiful post... And I agree with your first sentence. Whoever it is, he/she is one pretty sneaky myLotter to get you to a conflicted situation enough for you to accept the gift.
@topffer (30548)
• France
A lot of delicacy from this member, and a lot of scruples from you; Merry Christmas to both of you.
I had to think about it for a few days...and ignore the part of me screaming to go to a record shop
@topffer (30548)
• France
@JolietJake You can sell the computer you have now for that.
@topffer Pretty sure I'm gonna give it to my oldest sister...and tell her to keep her husband off of it...I like Troy, but he's the reason their last two computers no longer work
@Srbageldog (5419)
What a wonderful gift! That must have been a huge surprise.
Took me a few to pick my jaw up from the floor
@Deepizzaguy (7591)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Christmas is the season where some good deeds will be in full swing.
Usually the full swing is a bat upside my head
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@JolietJake I know what you mean.
And your heart grew bigger three times? How wonderful for you.
I got a vice out and squeezed it back to proper Grinch size...can't have people think there's anything wrong with me
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Just wow!!! And Merry Christmas and Happy Yule.
It was quite a shock...totally unexpected
That is so so nice and I am so glad you kept it. See that is what I love to hear. Nice for sure.
Sometimes a person has to make sure stupidity isn't mistaken for pride
@LeaPea2417 (15263)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is very kind of the myLot giver , how sweet