whatever happened to anna log?

Anna Log lies forgotten in the corner, her curves still bountiful but her hands crippled and for ever stuck at ten to five. She is silent and still, having nothing to do but watch her replacement Di Gital as he goes about his day glowing brightly with pride. Everybody loves Di Gital. He is easy on the eye and simple to understand. Anna Log is more complex and that has lost her the battle. Interesting conversations I have #1: I can't tell the time with that clock face, whispers Girl in a maths lesson. Poppylicious looks at the pretty analogue watch on Girl's wrist. Why are you wearing that watch then? Poppylicious is a trifle confused. Because it's pretty! smiles Girl. Oh, well that makes sense. It is known that some dyslexic people have trouble using an analogue clock face. However, there are an increasing amount of students who join us at sixteen with no idea how to tell the time using an analogue clock face. They've spent seven years at primary school and five years at secondary school, and still can't tell the time! With the rise in technology Di Gital has taken charge of Time. Where once he was simply a wrist accessory that all eighties kids craved, he's now to be found on phones and tablets, ovens and microwaves, alarm clocks and at bus stops. Anna Log is left to flounder on church towers. Interesting conversations I have #2: Girl says, But this isn't maths! Why do we have to do this? It's so baby-ish! Poppylicious looks amused and simply sighs.
It's ridiculous what technology has taken away from people. Some can't even sign their own names now.
i notice even my signature is changing
There was a story in the news recently about how Cambridge University are planning on making all their exams computer based. No more writing. *gasp* I'm sorry, but if you're bright enough to go to any uni, let alone Cambridge, you're bright enough to use pen on paper. So silly.
@Poppylicious will they be typing out the answers or will it be multiple choice and voice to text?
We are all becoming technology dependent, people cannot sum 2+2 without a calculator and young people cannot read an analog clock. I suppose that many would be unable to turn the dial of an analog phone. Pity!
@hereandthere If the calculations are complicated I use a machine, but I mainly do in my mind.
They don't even need a calculator now, they just use their phone apps.
@Poppylicious That is even worse. The day the lose their phones, it's like if their whole head is lost. No phones numbers they can remember, no agenda, no notes, no photos... what a stupid world!
@Fleura (7198)
I remember one time in the US, a teenage boy asked me the time. I had just taken a bite of something so instead of mumbling through a mouthful of food I held out my wrist for him to see my watch for himself. I was surprised when he said he couldn't read it. Now it seems that like most things, this trend has spread from the US to Britain.
oh, my. i would be speechless.
I would imagine it's a world-wide phenomena. Sadly.
@cahaya1983 (10055)
Oh my, seriously? I'm so glad they still teach kids how to tell the time on an analog clock in the schools here.
@YrNemo (11747)
You frightened me a bit there, I searched my mind so fast and so furiously, thinking quick if I had ever heard of any famous person bearing the name 'Anna Log'. I was calling myself bad names for being clueless about that famous person. Such a relief! I do know both of them after all .
But which one is your favourite?!
@YrNemo (11747)
@Poppylicious Either. Never thought much about the difference between them. Guess I just read the time out without thinking whatever clock I have available there at my fingertip.
@YrNemo We are both blessed to be time bilingual.
@xFiacre (4418)
@poppylicious What a delightful way you have of highlighting the amazing skill old people like me have of reading an ordinary, old-fashioned time piece. Learning the when the big hand is at five means 25 past the hour was quite a concept for young minds - yet we managed!
My watch has no numbers on it. I must be a bluddy genius.
@moffittjc (42031)
• Gainesville, Florida
Knowing that digital was the face of the future, but also that analog wouldn't completely go away, I made sure to teach my kids how to tell time using the old style clocks. I also taught them how to sign their name in cursive, and how to count change. You wouldn't believe how many college students who work for me that have no idea how to count change when they are running our cash registers at work!
@moffittjc (42031)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Poppylicious And If you think about it, it is only a matter of time before there's a widespread power outage that sends the people of the world into a frenzied panic! People will be rioting over the fact that they lost their technology and are rendered helpless and pathetic without it.
@moffittjc Ah, but the panic will subside quickly for those of us who are over 30 and remember a world before Internet. How we will laugh at the Little Ones!
@moffittjc (42031)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Poppylicious I don't know, there are a lot of people our age who are addicted to technology and are glued to their electronic devices 24/7. So maybe not everyone will survive! haha
@cahaya1983 (10055)
Still using the good ol' analog oven here! But sixteen year olds not being able to tell the time on an analog clock? Scary!
Definitely. One day soon they'll be running the country. Everything will go to pot!
@JESSY3236 (6250)
lol I have a clock in my kitchen and I know how to tell time. I do have a digital watch too. I like my watch because it has the date and a light.
The idea of not being able to tell the time using an analogue is quite a new phenomenon, mostly found in homosapiens below the age of 21. I don't even have numbers on my watch face and I can tell what time it is. Show that to the students and they generally become mind-blown!