Wisdom teeth

@YrNemo (8678)
Someone just asked me recently why late molar teeth were called wisdom teeth? My answer: 'I would call those teeth 'silly teeth', a pain in the neck teeth', problem teeth' than wisdom teeth, since removing each could cost lots of money.' NB. A dentist just advised me that to remove one by surgery, could cost about $500 per if one doesn't have health insurance for major dental. (The waiting time for this is about 12 months I heard!) --- Have you ever got any trouble with having 'wisdom teeth'? I never had trouble with mine, but some of my relatives did. Would you consider a trip to Thailand to pay less for the removal of any of your wisdom teeth (that is, if you must remove any)? They say it is terribly cheap over there re: any sort of surgery, even surgery for changing genders. (I heard that some dental surgeries being done in Thailand were not trouble free. The problem often cropped up two or three years later.)
I didn't have mine removed but it seems everyone does nowadays. I wouldn't trust the professionals in another country. It might be cheap but who knows what might happen? I don't think it would be worth the risk.
@YrNemo (8678)
I heard that most people with braces, often have to have those wisdom teeth removed or it would make the teeth crooked again. Sounds so expensive (for people with braces)!
@YrNemo Our sons had theirs out and one had braces for a while and yes, it was quite expensive.
It doesn't cost much here to have a wisdom tooth removed. I haven't had mine removed and it hasn't bothered me at all. I think I am one of those rare people who didn't have problems with their wisdom teeth. Most of the people I know had them removed as they couldn't stand the pain. Some were even impacted and that required surgery and costly than an ordinary extraction but it didn't cost $500.
@YrNemo (8678)
One of my charges might need to have that sort of surgery. I am moaning and groaning right now.
@YrNemo Oh no. Hope you don't get that at all.
@YrNemo (8678)
@toniganzon But it hurts my wallet. Hurts my pocket too!
@dodoazo (11280)
Removal of defective wisdom tooth doesn't much here. It's even free if it's done by our government dentist.
@YrNemo (8678)
A good reason to migrate to the Philippines!
Most of the local dentists can extract the wisdom tooth.
@YrNemo (8678)
I asked our dentist before, she said, 'no, only special dentists with some special license can do surgery to remove wisdom teeth!'
@YrNemo I guess some dentists need to have their specialization. You can try to consult an orthodontist. I think they can handle this kind of dental case.
@YrNemo (8678)
@Shavkat The orthodontist was the one who told us to go fixing that wisdom tooth!
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
I still have my wisdom tooth but the dentist here don`t see any problem letting it no reason on removing Here the operation is expensive like there
@YrNemo (8678)
From what I found out, some of us never got trouble with wisdom teeth. Some don't even have wisdom teeth in the first place. Guess we are wise enough, so those teeth of ours act accordingly!
@YrNemo I guess I have some problem with my tooth bones and needed some major operation I don`t know when I can afford to have it done
@YrNemo (8678)
@m_audrey6788 I am thinking of getting a health insurance regardless, and who knows, in 12 month time, I just might need it for something?
@ilocosboy (33294)
$500 oh my that is expensive, I'm not not sure if my wisdom teeth was already removed or not
@YrNemo (8678)
I don't even know if I have got those silly teeth yet! (They say that some people never have wisdom teeth!)
I've had surgery for 2 of my impacted wisdom teeth many years ago.
@YrNemo (8678)
Hope the cost didn't hurt you too much back then. It is going to cost me badly even if the teeth are not mine to begin with.
@bunnybon7 (33113)
• Holiday, Florida
I had a friend from here lived in that country. he stayed there because of such cheap living etc. no I don't think I could not in my shape now
@YrNemo (8678)
Do you mean Richard? I have never visited Thailand either. The opportunity was there, but there were some tourists who got kidnapped and killed at the time, so we canceled the trip.
@bunnybon7 (33113)
• Holiday, Florida
@YrNemo yes and I have heard of many that choose to live out of the states even though I think they should not take money out of the states to spend elsewhere all the time since we are going broke but I guess that's why they do it cause things cost so much to live here
@YrNemo (8678)
@bunnybon7 Richard seems to live a life of a king in that Thai's village. Fit a lifestyle of a man I think. Not safe for women however, am I right in thinking this?
@LilyBeBack (1704)
I had to have three of my wisdom teeth out about five years ago, thankfully we have the NHS (for now, anyway) so it didn't cost me anything I had a lot of trouble with mine, most of which arose from two separate dentists "forgetting" to refer me to the hospital I ended up three stone lighter because I couldn't eat properly, and £1,500 richer because of the medical negligence of the two dentists, so in fact it ended up costing them and helping me to get rid of a lot of excess fat
@YrNemo (8678)
So glad to hear that you had something positive came out from that painful period of your life.
@YrNemo Now as I struggle with my weight again I sometimes think it might be good for me if my fourth wisdom tooth would rear its ugly head
@YrNemo (8678)
@PainsOnSlate (19223)
I was on vacation, skiing in Colorado when I was hit by wisdom pain, I could hardly wait to get home to Kansas to see my dentist and yes I had them both removed , it hurt like hell and cost a fortune but a real necessary..
@YrNemo (8678)
So sorry to hear that you had that problem before. I have been counting money and gathering courage, to ready to pay for the cost. After all is said and done, I had paid almost $10K for my charge's braces. Can't let the wisdom teeth wreck all our work (and her past suffering!)
@YrNemo Good luck and I hope the pain is gone soon.
@YrNemo (8678)
I had mine removed when I was a teen to make room for my teeth and braces. I'd never have any work of any kind done outside my own country. Besides, we have some good dental coverage.
@YrNemo (8678)
I never thought of this problem (major dental work) before so if I begin to cover for this now, the waiting time would be 12 months. The dentist told me that we might have to do quick to protect someone's teeth (she just got her braces done!). for my saving.
@YrNemo The teeth are so important. My mother used to tell us to take good care of them forever. I just had an old crown replaced. I told them to bill me and left the office. Our insurance doesn't cover crowns fully.
@YrNemo (8678)
@DianneN I think I might have to do something similar too.
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
Wisdom tooth grows once you’re wise enough. ;)
@YrNemo (8678)
Oh dear!
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
@YrNemo haha hence the name Darcy-san. Lol
@YrNemo (8678)
@FayeHazel (11811)
Ah yes, I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. Only once in awhile do they hurt.
@YrNemo (8678)
I am not even sure if I have got any. They must be there however...
@FayeHazel (11811)
@YrNemo I hope you don't, they're no fun!
@YrNemo (8678)
@cahaya1983 (9662)
Not sure if I would take the trouble to fly far (although for me Thailand isn't that far) for a cheaper surgery since I'll be spending money on the flight anyway. I'd only do that if there is lack of expertise where I live.
@YrNemo (8678)
@mandala100 (25344)
@YrNemo That's a very interesting question my friend.
@YrNemo (8678)
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Thank goodness I haven't had a problem with wisdom teeth! But I wouldn't travel to Thailand for surgery, for some cocktails Yes, for surgery, no.
@averygirl72 (14103)
I found a good dentist. She does not have a hard time removing one of my wisdom tooth when it's aching because there's a hole already
I never had mine removed. but many many years ago when my sister was a teenager for some reason she had an overnight hospital stay to get her wisdom teeth removed