Surprise no more

@sol_cee (13597)
Japan
When I was pregnant with my two kids, I didn’t have an ultrasound so I didn’t really know their gender until the day I gave birth to them. I bought unisex colored baby stuff and prepared two sets of names. When the doctor said the magic words (‘It’s a baby girl/It’s a baby boy’) I knew it was worth the wait. But now, ‘gender reveal party’ is an in thing to do. If you key in ‘baby gender reveal’ on YouTube, you’d be swamped with all kinds of videos from excited soon-to-be parents. Social media is flooded with hundreds of ideas on how to organize a perfect gender reveal party. Have you ever joined one?
• Peoria, Arizona
I have been to gender reveal parties. If I ever do have kids, sure having a party to reveal the gender would be fun, but I would do a twist, instead of everything blue and pink, I would just do rainbows and say, "It don't matter" haha because it really doesn't matter to me the gender of anyone.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
I heard there’s yellow and green but rainbow would be cool! Lol
• Peoria, Arizona
@sol_cee rainbow is for the equality because even if I had a boy that is actually a girl, or a girl who is actually nonbinary, if they are gay or straight or asexual, I don't want to announce their gender just because of stereotypes. haha
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
@DesirousDreamer that would be strange for some but cool for me. ;)
@lady1993 (15626)
nope,i don't really think it's silly.. but maybe a waste of money?
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Haha yeah but you know the old saying, if there’s a will, there’s a way. I saw lots of videos of simple baby reveal parties which maybe didn’t cost the parents an arm and leg. :)
@lady1993 (15626)
@sol_cee well, that is good to know
@HazySue (17130)
I have never been to a gender reveal party. They do seem to be quite popular now.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
It can be a cool concept for the business minded individuals out there. ;)
@HazySue (17130)
@sol_cee it could be.
I did not know whether I was having a boy or a girl either. It was a surprise. I have never been to a gender-reveal party.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
I've heard everything now. My mother had twins but until the first one had been born neither she nor the doctor knew there was a second.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Omg! That’s...scary!
@sol_cee It was perfectly normal for those times but I agree, pretty scary!
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
@JudyEv so you have twin sisters? Or your mom has a twin sister? Sorry, got a little confused.
My daughter works at party city and she does a lot of balloons for the gender reveal. The parents don't know either, because they bring a box for her to put the balloons in. I think it's so cool.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Is your daughter a myLotter?
@cahaya1983 (9624)
People can be really creative these days. Is that done separately or part of the agenda for a baby shower?
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Some make it a 2-in-1 celebration.
@rina110383 (23053)
No. Looks like a fun one.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
From the videos, it sure is. :)
Changing times. Sounds interesting though.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
I just watched some videos about it and I was smiling the whole time. ;)
My nephews was out of this world awesome. I could not believe the work that went into that party. Cae boss made the cake. I would not have paid that but good grief I was happy to be there. I wanted a girl so bad and the funny thing was in stores all I could see was pink. I bought pin everything. Before my babay shower which I call a blanket affair. I had just about everything myself. It was a sad disgrace. The local store had blankets on sale for $10 I had everyone on the shelf. It was a blessing I never rely on anyone.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Pink everything! Haha But I have to ask. Was it a baby girl?
No I have never been to one, another sort of celebration created by the big companies to make money.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Commercialization at its best. The more baby gender reveal parties, the bigger the profits for the big companies.
@sol_cee In our day, everything is commercial, this is why I avoid those parties.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
@LadyDuck how about baby showers?
@JustBhem (22537)
• Davao, Philippines
Wow. It must be so exciting. A friend of mine suggested that before. And I am suggesting this idea to my friend too.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
So you’re going to attend one if you can convince your friend. ;)
@JustBhem (22537)
• Davao, Philippines
@sol_cee Why not. I will probably the one to organize it.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
@JustBhem Go go go bhem, the organizer!
@nomus24g (16449)
in my country gender determination before birth is a crime....one can be tried under law...
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Interesting. So the gender is unknown until the mother gives birth?
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
@nomus24g oh my, it must have been horrible in the past, when laws weren’t implemented.
@ridingbet (37921)
i depended much on what my late mother and old women say about what the gender of the fetus will be: a round tummy is girl, a pointed one is male.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Oh yeah. And if the pregnant mom looks radiant/ beautiful, it’s a baby girl and you know the opposite. Lol
@ridingbet (37921)
@sol_cee especially if the pregnant is so 'masungit', she will have a boy. heheh
@bluesa (12847)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Never been a Mommy and don't plan to be, and my friends didn't have gender reveal parties. I think it is nice to find out when the baby is born, like you did. :)
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
The element of surprise. ;)
@bluesa (12847)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@dpk262006 (54760)
No, I have not heard about it.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
Really?
@dpk262006 (54760)
@YrNemo (8589)
No. I knew in advance the genders of my kids however.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
I would have invited you had we been neighbors. :)
@jobelbojel (5108)
Knowing the gender of the kid would be great but would be more exciting to know in advance, isn't it?
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
FB material. Lol
@FayeHazel (11798)
Never plan to have kids and I don't have friends having kids. I think it's kind of a cute idea.... but sometimes seems a little over done. Maybe the baby shower and gender reveal party could be done at the same time
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
I agree. Parents can make it a double celebration or something.
Baby gender reveal parties are really fun I think. Its so exciting to see what the mommy to be is having. I had an ultrasound for both of my kids and think it was great so I could know what clothes to buy etc.
@sol_cee (13597)
• Japan
I’ll have one if...:)