How High Should The Minimum Wage Be ?

@Luap1050 (638)
In Ontario, Canada we are looking at a minimum wage increase of 32% in a relatively short time . We have gone from $ 12.25 an hour to $ 14.00 an hour this coming January and then to $ 15.00 in January 2019. While it's a good thing for the worker you would say one also have to consider that a lot of businesses just cannot afford the extra costs . Already we are hearing that Grocery stores that were open 24 hours will no longer be. Other business are planning to cut employees as much as 1 person for every 10 employed !.... We will see how this plays out over the next year or so here. What your take on this and is a high Minumum wage a good thing or ?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Cost of living must be hi there, it's 8:10 here I think
@Luap1050 (638)
I should have asked what the minimum wages were in your States ...I do realize that most US States are lower.... What does an average house sell for in your area April?
In 2016 Australia's basic wage was $17.70 an hour. I think it is still the same. We don't have tipping here so I guess that makes a difference. According to one source this compares favourably with most other countries.
@Luap1050 (638)
I think you are right on that Judy ... Depends on the cost of living I guess....What does the average house cost in a big city? ......and I DO like the thought of no tipping as well
@Luap1050 Quote from the web: Figures show the median house price fell by $20,000 or 3.6 per cent in the June quarter to $530,000. The median price for Perth units, villas, apartments and townhouses also fell from $440,000 to $420,000. This is a hard question to answer as I'm sure you appreciate. Perth is the smallest of our capitals I think and probably prices are a bit cheaper here in the West.
@Luap1050 (638)
@JudyEv Hmmm..In a big City like Toronto a freehold home is 800,000 to over 1 Million these days .... In the suburbs you MAY find something for $600,000 ...smaller towns 100 Km + away maybe $ 350,000 + for an older fixer upper home
@kobesbuddy (40931)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It's a vicious circle. When minimum wage goes up so people will make more to support their family, the cost of living also goes up!:( More money in their check and then pay more for everything? How will anyone benefit from this?
@Luap1050 (638)
That's pretty much how I feel Kharla ....what they give with one hand they take with the other ...not sure who really wins in these situations....but it's USUALLY the government !
@kobesbuddy (40931)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Luap1050 Yes, the government will always manipulate, to come out on top!:( The citizens pay dearly, whlle the wealthy reap the harvest!
@EddieHands (37857)
it should be 30 dollars an hour. Because I will work for no less!
@Juilee (385)
• Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
High minimum wage means your jobs will be taken over by robots. It already happened.