Really, they should know better...

I live in a fairly small town, roughly 9000 people. There is one set of railroad tracks that runs east/west through town. There are only 5 streets that go across them. (There used to be 6, but one was closed around 1978 or so when a factory...that shut down a few years later...expanded the building and blocked the road) I live on one of the roads that doesn't cross the tracks, right at the end of it. And about once a year, I'll see a police car come down the road, suddenly realize there is nowhere to go, and slowly back up and turn around. Tonight was this year's episode. I just stood in the doorway and watched...and laughed. I mean, really...a town this small, you're a police officer, and you can't read a 'Dead End' sign? You can always tell who is the rookie.
@FourWalls (15228)
You never know, it could be an initiation joke for the rookies....kinda of like telling some poor kid just out of boot camp and in his first squadron to "go get the keys for the airplane."
and those are the ones protecting your town.
At least I haven't seen anyone go over the end and down the hill onto the tracks since about '73 or so
@JolietJake bet they got a surprise.
Sometimes you just don't notice signs. We nearly went under a 'Bridge Too Low' in France because we didn't see the sign.
Are you near a larger town or city?
Not really. You'd think cops would have to study a city map so they'd know the quickest way to get places.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
The downfall of being new in town.
Or maybe he was drunk. Once I was in a Florida and someone was having people over, they were cops their girlfriends, they were making drinks an having a good time and then one said " oh sh*t, its clock in time, all but one left for work!" Yes they were very buzzed.
That's really embarrassing.
You made me laugh, not the best police officer for sure.
They must be hiring people that didn't grow up here. Anyone under 40 that was born in Olney and drives should know there are only 5 streets you can cross the tracks on.
@JolietJake The officer surely did not grow up in Olney, if he grew up there, then there is a problem.
@sishy7 (27598)
Maybe he's patrolling the road?
Nope.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Your town is like 3 times as big as mine. And yea he must have been a rookie.
@sallypup (28535)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You have a cheap movie. You should get out the popcorn.
@BarBaraPrz (20753)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Maybe they're just making sure you and Scar are safe...
@nela13 (8337)
• Portugal
Maybe they don't know How to read the road signals
maybe he was looking to nap and saw somebody watching..that's what they do up here anyway..
That's when you park in a cemetery so you can say you were patrolling it for trespassers
• Bournemouth, England
It's reassuring when they know their local patch like that, isn't it?
Odd. I thought emergency personnel and cops and such had to KNOW about the local streets. I guess he LEARNED. Or perhaps there was a desperado fleeing and trying to elude pursuit.
@kobesbuddy (55368)
• East Tawas, Michigan
LOL He was just showing off, displaying how wonderfully he can back up a patrol car! My brother use to call our rookies, the 'diaper squad.'