Strictly no photos - but surely they didn't mean us

Bunbury, Australia
When we visited London in 1997 we wanted to visit Harrods just to see all the fuss was about and to be able to tell people that we’d been there. We were there not long after the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales, and her companion, Dodi Fayed. Fayed’s father owned Harrods at that time. There was a display on one of the landings between the floors showing photos of both Diana and Dodi. The decorations in the shop were stunning as it was getting on towards Christmas and Vince had his camera out and was taking photos of various sections of the store. Coming back down the stairs he stopped to take a snap of the memorial display. Suddenly we heard a loud voice coming from below. Someone was shouting ‘Who’s taking photos? Security, where’s that flash coming from? Someone’s taking photos. Who’s taking photos?’ Vince stuffed the camera under his coat (luckily he was wearing one) and muttered to me ‘Come on, we’re out of here’. We went quickly but innocently down the stairs and out the door into the street. Once safely outside, we turned and looked back. Only then did we notice the large signs saying ‘Strictly no photographs’. It can be easy to miss some things, can’t it? The photo is of the display.
Aha! The illicit photos!
Yes - and we have them!
@JudyEv you should have sold them to the gossip magazines and you'll be referred to as "anonymous sources"
@hereandthere We were just pleased to get away safely.
Good thing you moved quickly and was able to avoid a confrontation.
Yes and good thing it wasn't summer with nowhere to hide the camera.
• Eugene, Oregon
That was a close call! I wonder what they would have done? Just deleted the photos maybe?
• Eugene, Oregon
@db20747 Very bad publicity though.
@db20747 @JamesHxstaticI don't know if they would have been upset about any photos or just the ones of Diana and Dodi. We didn't stop to find out!
@db20747 (710)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@JudyEv You got outta there just in time!!!
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
Many shops don't like people to take photos of their displays, &c. It's probably partly to do with security and criminals knowing where the cameras and other security devices are but also to do with professional pride and not wanting people to copy their displays. I have sometimes taken photos of price tickets, just for my own use, of course, so I can remember the prices and I have occasionally had some funny looks. I always remember to turn the flash off, though. I don't want to be too obvious!
We've noticed this more and more in later years but at that time we hadn't come across it. The shop in Gretna Green asked us not to take photos.
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
@JudyEv Might that have been because there could have been people in the shop who might not want their photos taken (especially together!) and possibly sent to 'interested parties'? I can imagine that Harrods would also want to protect their customers from being photographed for different reasons. Quite a number of very well known and wealthy people shop in person there and the gossip press could have a field day on where Lady/Princess So-and-So was and what she was buying.
@owlwings Both reasons are logical and legitimate. At the time (1997) we were a bit naive I suppose and privacy wasn't such an issue. At Gretna Green it seemed the main concern was that people would copy the ideas for the handcrafted items.
@LoriAMoore (10162)
I did that once in a casino for the first time -- didn't realize no photographs were allowed until security yelled at me and then I saw the really obvious signs posted that I had overlooked before.
I doubt they would have believed that we hadn't seen the signs.
@cahaya1983 (9705)
Glad you didn't get into trouble! I wonder if it's possible for them to forbid people from taking photos now, with camera phones and all.
I guess they can still forbid it but they have to catch people first.
@josie_ (5176)
Was the ban only for taking photos of the memorial display or the entire department store?
I'm not sure. Later we came across other shops that didn't want their displays photographed so perhaps it was the whole shop.
Wow luckily they didnt realize it was Vince. Nice picture.
I don't think they would have believed that we didn't see the signs. They were quite large and there were plenty of them. I guess we were just too taken with the displays.
@JudyEv you could have been in real trouble
@Happy2BeMe That's quite true. It was only funny because it turned out okay.
Oops ! But of course they did not see the fine, fine print under the sign that said "Vince Exempt" . Oh wait, he "thought" that's what it said . I suppose it's easier to secretly take photos these days than back then . . . with smartphones and cameras being slimmer and smaller.
I think with smart phones it would be much easier. It was lucky we were able to hide Vince's camera.
@JudyEv Yah, good thing they didn't actually do search on him for it!
@much2say Exactly. It could have been a totally different outcome.
I went to Harrods once too. It was an amazing store. I think I even had tea there. It cost a fortune...but it was fun! As I recall, my S/O didn't join me as he thought it cost too much.
It is certainly an expensive store but nice to experience at least once.
The same happened to us with the statue of David in Florence. Oops! At least we both have lovely photos.
We have a photo of him too but it must be a copy as it was taken in Vienna. Or maybe it's just something very similar. Our son and I are peering through his legs and I always say it is a photo of 'three d*ckheads'.
@ilocosboy (33300)
He he, sometimes we are unaware of the sign because of our excitement. Perfect time to get out from that scene.
I think we were too busy looking at the displays to see the signs.
Yes, it is easy to miss things. I am glad you got the photos before anything said anything and glad that Vince could hide the camera and glad you got out of there without anyone taking the camera away. What is special about Harrods that you cannot take pictures? I thought in certain places like museums you can't.
I guess perhaps there could be people shopping who wouldn't want their photos taken (royalty or whatever) and also they may not want their displays copied by others.
@JudyEv Judy, have you seen other signs like that that you cannot take pictures at other department stores that royalty may shop at?
@Hannihar No, not really but I have sneaked a few shots of signs simply because people would wonder why I wanted a photo of them.
@db20747 (710)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
You end up asking yourself why didn't I see that. At least you got out in time and got to keep your photos too.
The signs were very clear once you had noticed them. I think we were too busy looking at all the items for sale.
@db20747 (710)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@JudyEv Meant to ask the other day, What's it like in Harrah's? It's supposed to be world famous and so fabulous. I want to visit there if I get to London anytime soon.
@db20747 Everything was very expensive and beautifully displayed. And there seemed to be a lot of everything although the shelves didn't seem crowded.
We know very well that both here in Switzerland and in Italy it is strictly forbidden to take photos. Partly is due to protect the privacy of those who are inside the shop and partly it's for security reasons.
That's not the case here and we only saw it once in England. I can understand the need for it nowadays.
@JudyEv It has always been the case here and for sure also in Italy.
@valmnz (13198)
• New Zealand
Ha, ha, my friend did that recently at a newly installed Maori exhibition at Te Papa, our national museum. And now you've admitted your crime and shared your guilt with the world. They'll get you yet!
I can plead unsoundness of mind now ..... and/or memory loss.
@valmnz (13198)
• New Zealand
@Ronrybs (7132)
• London, England
I heard of one bloke just bought a camera at Harrods and was then escourted out for having a camera!
Some security guy was a bit over-zealous wasn't he?
We had that happen once to us as well. There was this really neat shop in Lake George Ny we visited on vacation every year. There was no camera signs but my parents wanted to show my 80+ year old grandfather back home in our little town how neat the shop was so my father walked through with his video camera and got yelled at of course.
It's a shame isn't it? I guess they have their reasons. Well, I know they have but they're not very good ones.
@UncleJoe (8617)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vince did the right thing. As the saying goes here, "A running cow carries a whole hide!"
I like that saying too! Must remember it.
Good there were no CC TVs those days (lol) Did you visit their rest room. I was advised to do so by a friend of mine and we were supposed to pay for it. Being Sunday Harrods was closed the day we were there.
What a shame the store was closed the day you were there. Some of the restrooms are amazing aren't they?