Christmas carols have a lot of verses

Bunbury, Australia
My second last post was about the old man who was sick of hearing Christmas carols. I’m not fussed about Christmas carols either. In a previous life Vince and I played in brass bands and at Christmas time there would be a number of engagements which would involve playing carols. At one time we were living in Esperance on the south coast of Western Australia and a long way from any other big towns. That year we played at carol services in four nearby tiny towns and once in a shearing shed. It was always difficult to find players and especially someone to conduct the band. I was conducting at the time for better or worse but when we played carols I always had trouble trying to remember how many verses we had played. For instance, Good King Wenceslas has five. I couldn’t hear the singing and try as I might I’d lose count of the number of verses. But I soon learnt not to worry. The players knew exactly how many verses we’d played and when they’d played the requisite number they stopped and if I was quick enough I’d stop waving my arms around and stop with them. It was a fail-proof system.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a funny story! That is a great photo of you both.
We had some funny times in the band. The photo was taken a long time ago but thanks.
@Ganma7 (2062)
@JudyEv great photo is right
@Ganma7 Thank you. I'm glad you like it.
Maybe you should have told the singers beforehand that they would only sing, let´s say, 3 verses. I love to sing the first verses of a lot of carols, but will not learn the rest.
The number of verses were worked out before hand but there were more than 2 or 3 I'd still forget how many we'd played.
@JudyEv Too many of anything is too many
I am sure after awhile all the songs felt the same. Christmas music overload.
Yes, that's right. It's a shame that the overload has continued for years.
@kobesbuddy (19403)
• East Tawas, Michigan
That's awesome! Our adult band put on a Christmas concert, each year. I got too busy, so decided to quit for a few years. What instruments did you play? I play the trumpet:) We would play through each Christmas carol twice!
I played anything from tenor horn to baritone or euphonium. Vince sometimes played the bass drum if need be as well as the same instruments as me.
@kobesbuddy (19403)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv Good for you, music is a big part of our life! I can't spell flugelhorn, but that's an instrument our instructor put me on, its tone is lower than the coronet. I played French-horn in concert band, which I loved above all the rest. Piano? Organ? I'm mediocre, for sure.
@kobesbuddy The flugelhorn has a lovely tone but the French horn is to die for. I know it's not an easy instrument to play so well done you. Do you still play at all?
What a lovely photo. I always thought it would be so cool to have carolers come around to sing in the neighborhood.
We took a group of teens from the church on the back of a bus once and went round singing carols. It was fun.
@yanzalong (8830)
I can't remember all verses either.
I didn't have to remember the words, just how many times we'd played the carols. That was bad enough.
@Freelanzer (6459)
Love Christmas songs - the carols as well as the popular stuff. When singing carols I always have to have a copy of the words at hand and they do have a lot of verses.
We didn't need to worry about the words luckily. It was knowing when we'd got to the end that stumped me.
@Ganma7 (2062)
I love Xmas songs, music, carols etc
@LoriAMoore (10030)
That's a great photo!
Thanks. I like it too.
I am also not a fan of Christmas carols. I remember that one Christmas, in Monte-Carlo, we bought a CD of French Christmas carol, we played in during the Christmas lunch. There was one carol that was so sad and depressing (La Légende de Saint Nicolas - St. Nick legend) that almost made me cry. The CD spoiled my Christmas lunch.
Oh that's a shame. There are a couple of sad carols but we never used to play them.
@JudyEv I hope that nobody will play that sinister carol if there are kids.
It's always good when someone knows what verse you're on.
Luckily the players all seemed able to keep track even if I couldn't.
@JudyEv That's a good thing.
• Riga, Latvia
Sounds like you had it all planed out just right. The radio begins Christmas carols and songs in the beginning of December and it goes on all month. Then sometimes they continue a bit in January and by that time I don't want to hear any more.
There is only so many times you want to hear carols.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
Sounds like you had it all worked out
As long as I watched the players carefully and was ready to stop conducting I was right.
"Good King Wencelas looked out on the feast of Stephen, when the snow lay round about deep and crisp and even." That's all I know!
Gosh, that's only half a verse.
I love Christmas songs but yes they have a lot of verses.
Some have more than others and some don't have a chorus and verse. It's just the same thing over and over.
Lol! That is hilarious! This I would have loved to have seen with my own eyes. What a terrific photo of the two of you.
Glad you like the photo. We had some very funny times with the band. I wrote about it quite a lot but it must have been on Bubblews as searching for keywords here doesn't come up with anything.
@JudyEv I do remember you writing about your band stories. You have so many interesting topics!
@DianneN Thanks. Being in Australia helps a bit in that regard.
@Ronrybs (7132)
• London, England
Not a fan of Christmas carols, but I do like the idea of the conductor still conducting after the band has stopped!
It does show just how essential I was doesn't it? I never had an exaggerated view of my importance.
If it works, it works!
Exactly. They were like milk-cart horses that knew exactly which houses to stop at.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Oh that is cool! What talent you have. COnducting sounds tough!
It was just that I had a much wider musical background and knowledge. I had studied piano for years so could read bass and treble clefs, knew all the musical terms, etc and really there was no-one else. I only did it for a couple of years until a 'real' conductor came along.
@Platespinner (18536)
Glad someone was able to keep count for you. I bet you looked a bit silly if you kept conducting after the last verse.
I only did it once and had to turn my upbeat into a 'scratch-my-head' gesture.
I love Christmas carols, I think it's because you don't hear them often (or we don't in the UK) that when one is played it brings back happy memories (of before the days when every boy band in existence had a 'novelty' Christmas tune played on the radio throughout December!)
Carols are certainly part of many people's Christmas heritage.