White Elephant Gift Exchanges

Photo of elephants courtesy of Morguefile.com
Laguna Woods, California
In case you are not aware of them, White Elephant Gift Exchanges are very popular in the United States. You bring a wrapped, surprise gift to a party. It can be something you bought, or something you already own. It can be a funny gift, or a nice one. People then take turns selecting a gift to open. At many of the parties, people can also "steal" a gift from someone else, if they like one they see. There are many different rules for playing the game. White Elephant Gift Exchanges can be a lot of fun. My favorite gifts to buy for the exchanges are crystal vases, bowls, or candy dishes. I don't buy them new, however! Instead, I go to a shop in our area that sells things from estate auctions. I buy the items for a fraction of their original price. My friends are usually delighted and surprised to get a beautiful crystal vase or bowl, rather than some silly joke gift. Often I can find items with expensive brand names etched onto the bottom. I enjoy giving people something they can actually use, and I can easily stay within any price limit which has been recommended for the exchange. Today I purchased four lovely items ... a beautiful crystal vase for $6, a round crystal candle holder for $5, a small crystal bud vase for $3 and a crystal candy dish for $2. It is hard to find party gifts which are any cheaper than that!
• Eugene, Oregon
Most of the ones I have been to were office parties and the gifts were very "funny." ,"
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - Yes, the office exchanges I went to in the past were usually funny. My book club and other organizations prefer we exchange things that people might actually want. I like that better.
• Eugene, Oregon
@DeborahDiane A much better idea.
@alberello75 (16511)
• Genova, Italy
Yes you are right. It is a good tradition that allows anyone to buy useful products at a low price. In Italy unfortunately, there isn't this custom!
@MsTickle (24991)
Same here in Australia Alessandro. I could be wrong but where I live there are no estate sales.
@alberello75 (16511)
• Genova, Italy
@MsTickle Ok. I understood. However It is a good initiative
• Laguna Woods, California
@alberello75 and @MsTickle - What happens to a person's possessions after they die? Here in the U.S., the children or other heirs take the items they want. However, the remaining items are sold in estate sales. It is a great opportunity for other people to pick up china, silver, crystal and furniture that the heirs do not want.
No, we have no White Elephant Gift Exchanges here, it's a funny party.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - They are fun parties and a cheerful way to celebrate the holiday very inexpensively!
@sishy7 (27667)
Oh, those are really great prices for crystals... I was given one of those crystal ring holder years ago and I love it!
• Laguna Woods, California
@sishy7 - Crystal ring holders are so pretty! I didn't see any in the shop this year, but one of those would also make a great gift to exchange.
@valmnz (12564)
• New Zealand
That sounds like fun. Sometimes we have something similar for Secret Santa parties.
• Laguna Woods, California
@valmnz - I have done Secret Santa gifts in the past, too. That can be a lot of fun!
@miketagz (7453)
That's a special occasion for elephants, I wonder how elephants sing their birthday song heheh.
• Laguna Woods, California
@miketagz - Ha ha! Yes, I wonder how elephants sing birthday songs, too! LOL
@miketagz (7453)
@DeborahDiane It's impossible to learn their language hahaha. Just kidding. :D
• Laguna Woods, California
@shubhu3 (14286)
• New Delhi, India
Wow. That is something really new and interesting.
• Laguna Woods, California
@shubhu3 - It is just a fun party game, but I enjoy it!
@shubhu3 (14286)
• New Delhi, India
@DeborahDiane Amazing.
@cahaya1983 (10060)
I've participated in a few gift exchanges, although it wasn't called White Elephant Gift Exchange. But the concept is similar. It was a lot of fun, I got random items sometimes, like once I got a soap dispenser.
• Laguna Woods, California
@cahaya1983 - We often get random items, too ... like a yo-yo one time! However, no matter what we get, we have a lot of fun!
• Riga, Latvia
You certainly got some very nice deals.
• Laguna Woods, California
@RasmaSandra - Yes, I do not think I could have possibly gotten better deals. I'm going to fill the items with candy before I give them away!
@MsTickle (24991)
That sounds really good and like something I would like to receive. At my group Xmas party last year I received a half full tube of hand cream. Seeing all the other lovely gifts being opened I was a tad miffed.
• Laguna Woods, California
@MsTickle - A half bull tube of hand cream?? Wow! I would have been a bit miffed, too. Even though these parties are supposed to be just for fun, that seems like a pretty poor choice for someone to give.
@MsTickle (24991)
@DeborahDiane All the members are elderly and for some, like moi, it's possibly the only gift they will recfeive. it's pretty down-heartening.
• Laguna Woods, California
@MsTickle - If that is the only gift people are going to get, regardless of their age, people should make an extra effort to make sure the gift they give is something pleasant. A gift card for an online site like Amazon would be a good idea. Other gift ideas could be the materials for a craft, an interesting book (even if the giver has already read it), or tasty snacks and similar treats.
You did good with those gifts. I've played those kinds of games of exchange gifts when you steal them. Lots of fun.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - I like giving something a bit nice (but cheap), because it is fun when I see other people "steal" the gifts I brought. That is when I know I chose well! LOL
@DeborahDiane True. I was part of an exchange like that. When I opened my gift of an oil lamp, I hoped no one would steal it from me. One did, but I stole it back and I have it on one of my shelves lining the hutch mirror on my dresser.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - That is wonderful that you got what you wanted! There is something exciting about these exchanges and funny how we fight to get the things we want, whether they have much value or not! LOL
They sound lovely gifts. Our writers group is having a Christmas party in a fortnight and a limit of $10 has been set. There would be plenty of choice in the op shop in that price range.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Our gift limits are usually about $10, too. However, one woman always makes a quilt and gives it away in the auction. I have never been lucky enough to get her gift, but I keep hoping!
@Fleura (7113)
It's very satisfying when you can get a luxurious gift for a bargain price!