Giving Permission To A Child Going Overnight

@ilocosboy (33267)
As much as possible I don't want to give permission to my eldest child sleeping overnight in his classmate's house. He said they will work on their case studies and they need to work overnight. I don't want to give my permission. He was crying to explain to me the importance of their work. I said I don't believe that alibi and Aj was persistent to go. I let him. Anyway he is 18 years old now and I hope he is responsible enough to think of his safety.
Here 18 does not need permission to go out. But I do know when those days were my situation I would let kay have a sleep over at my house. I was happy to always know they were safe. Parents took a lot of advantage of that but I don't mind now.
@ilocosboy (33267)
As much as they are under my roof I will give the say. But when they have their own family, its their words then.
@thelme55 (11806)
@ilocosboy that is a Filipino upbringing and I can understand you. I am also like you when I am in Pinas. Those nieces who live under my roof have to ask me permission to go out with their friends. They are my responsibility as they are living with me. You know their are lots of bad things going on in our country.
@ilocosboy (33267)
These is the reason of my second thought, but because he was persistent so I let him.
@jobelbojel (5052)
He is 18 and I know he can handle himself. It is our culture that parents won't allow their kids to go out or to be away.
@ilocosboy (33267)
Thank you for understanding, yeah he is 18 but he is still under my protection.
@ilocosboy that is how parents protect their kids.
• Rochester, New York
Hopefully he is responsible enough for you to gain his trust.
@ilocosboy (33267)
That is what I told him
• Peoria, Arizona
If he was a child I would understand but 18, that is old enough that if he makes a mistake, that is on him, not on you. Like how my mamma raised me, I can do anything I want, I just have to suffer the consequences and she would not bail me out because it would be my own fault. Never done anything too crazy to get me into any kind of trouble with that kind of raising.
@ilocosboy (33267)
Yeah I think this is a good reason. Maybe I did a good decision of letting him go.
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
I think your son will be fine and that`s a good one
@ilocosboy (33267)
Thank you very much for comforting me
@kepweng (6341)
18 is Already Adult! i guess he can do what ever he wants like having a wife and kids too
@ilocosboy (33267)
As much as possible I should not allow him still
@Shiva49 (9587)
I gave permission to my son when he was younger but told him to be responsible and warned him of bad influences. Nowadays due to peer pressure it is tough to rein in on children like in olden days - siva
@ilocosboy (33267)
Yeah, I think its harder to handle the younger generation.
@nangayo (2301)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I also don't encourage my children sleeping overnight at friends i think its just out instincts as parents.