MUSIC: Throwing out Lawrence Welk?

@CoralLevang (40661)
I wanted to report to some of you who are following my "clutter project" progress that I have been listing items on Craigslist and selling a few things. It's been slow, but amazing to me what people are interested in buying. Last night, I sold a 1957 metal tray with Lawrence Welk and his champagne Music Makers. Though my father was with this Orchestra, he did not arrive until 1959, so he is not in the photograph. I sold it for $25 because it had a lot of rust on the back and in the right hand corner, as you can see. I was happy that someone I know purchased it. They buy a lot of vintage musical artifacts. Slowly but surely, it's starting to show progress. As I tell more of my hoarding/clutter story, I hope that many of you are seeing the photographs that I share in an effort to show you how I live. Life is not black and white, and neither are definitions of certain words. Photo is my own.
@FourWalls (9895)
You don't think someone's going to photoshop David Cassidy's face over Lawrence Welk's and sell it, do you? Seriously, I'm glad it has a new home. Yes, there's no telling what people will buy, but I'm that way myself.
That was a cool vintage item. I have never seen one before. I think you got a good price.
@CoralLevang (40661)
Thank you, John! It's hard to know what to sell things for, but I researched that on the internet and it was more expensive for something that was pristine. So I thought that was a fair price and I didn't realize that a friend of mine was going to be wanting to make a purchase like that!
@CoralLevang You can't always go by listed estimated value. An item is worth what you sell it for. I see stuff in antique malls with high prices gathering dust.
@CoralLevang (40661)
@JohnRoberts I I understand! It's always about finding the right buyer. Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it
• Eugene, Oregon
I am sure whoever purchased it was pleased. Did your father play with many bands?
@CoralLevang (40661)
My father was on The Lawrence Welk Show from 1959 until it disbanded. He was a studio musician and he's played for many artists.
• Eugene, Oregon
@CoralLevang That is great! Good way to make a living.
@CoralLevang (40661)
@JamesHxstatic From a daughter's standpoint, it had its good and bad points. Maybe not the "way," but that it played into narcissism and a way to walk away from people who needed him.
@LilyBeBack (1670)
Glad you're able to sell some of the things you don't need! I'm slowly going through Leonard's toys and getting rid of some to make room for the Christmas influx And after our last conversation about books I've been casting sideways glances at my bookshelf so there may well be some charity shop donations soon. The old toys are going in my mam's loft for potential future children, lol
@CoralLevang (40661)
In another post I showed a picture of a corner of my living room and you can see the accumulation of some things that I have. And I've scaled down and gotten rid of so much! There are fewer books than before, but I can't get rid of the CD music yet
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That pretty cool
@CoralLevang (40661)
Why thank you!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@CoralLevang what other cool artifacts do you have
@CoralLevang (40661)
@thislittlepennyearns who knows? That's why I'm unpacking from when I thought I was going to die here and didn't unpack. That's What I Call hoarding. I shared a photograph in my other post today of what part of my living room looks like. I want to share what I mean by being a hoarder. There seems to be a big difference in what some see as a definition.
Wow, lucky you. I hope everything you post on CL sells for a good price.
@CoralLevang (40661)
So far, I have sold four things that I have listed. One thing, I purchased for $0.50 and I sold it for $5.
Wow, that's a great return on your purchase @CoralLevang I hope you also stated on CL that all sales are final, the last thing you'd want is people asking for refunds, it's why I don't sell stuff.
@CoralLevang (40661)
@rebelann I never have, but it's a good idea.
@bagarad (7917)
• Paso Robles, California
Don't have time for a proper response right now, but did you even meet the Lennon Sisters? I read their joint autobiography and it had a lot to say about their time with Lawrence Welk.
@CoralLevang (40661)
Yes, I did meet them, and went to two of their weddings. I also used to sit in the recording studio when they were making a couple of Records. I was sitting in the studio when they made their Dominique record.
@bagarad (7917)
• Paso Robles, California
@CoralLevang I'd love to hear more about that sometime.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Let's see the piece you sold!
@CoralLevang (40661)
The pic is posted! Can you not see it?
@Deepizzaguy (7580)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Lawrence Welk in my opinion was underrated as an artist.
@CoralLevang (40661)
Many of the people that he had working for him were underrated. I I'm not so sure about mr. Welk.
@LeaPea2417 (15263)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I remember as a kid, my grandparents always watched Lawrence Welk.
@CoralLevang (40661)
Yes, he was a favorite amongst the older generation
It is amazing what people want to buy on the Net.
@CoralLevang (40661)
It is amazing. I was very surprised
One object at a time. Or several at once. It is for you to decide. Every little bit is a step ahead. I am glad that you found a good home for the tray.
@Srbageldog (5419)
What a cool item. I'm glad you found a home for it, and made some money in the process.