My ADHD Life

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Most of us, at least here in the United States, are familiar with this particular disorder. Many people have been diagnosed with it, and there are a variety of medications available that are used to help normalize behaviour. Over the years, I’ve been exposed to the lists of common behaviours that are associated with ADHD, and I always have to laugh, since virtually everyone I have ever been close to, family or otherwise, have at one time or another struggled with the symptoms of this particular disorder. I had high hopes that, beginning with the new school year, my life would lose some of the frenzy that has characterized reality for the past several years. My oldest child had flown from the nest, my two middle were both enrolled in college and equipped with their own transportation. My life was going to revolve around the needs of my youngest daughter. I would be providing transportation for her to and from work on the days that she wasn’t able to ride with an older sibling, and the rest of the day would be focused on facilitating her education and keeping the ship of home afloat. One phone call, on the last day of August, obliterated my hopes for calmness and serenity (if it hadn’t been that phone call, I’m sure it would have been something else). My daily schedule again includes running hither and yon and exercising my organizational skills to make sure I don’t have to be in two different towns at the same time (that almost happened yesterday) and don’t end up driving unnecessary miles. Some days I’m sure the neighbours wonder about how often I drive up and down my own driveway. Other days I find myself sitting in parking lots. Waiting. Between it all, I entertain the dog, attempt to keep my house in some semblance of order, keep my family fed and attempt to stay on top of the outside activities I really thought I was going to have more time for. Oh well. At least life isn’t boring.
@UncleJoe (8640)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
It's funny how folks think if you are retired or don't have a 9-to-5 that you have nothing to do. With Becky staying at her mom's I have to cook and transport all their meals and run a lot of errands in their behalf. On top of that her 18-year old grandson broke his big toe this weekend and I have had to mother-hen him as well as taking him to the doctor. Golden years? Where?
I've been threatening to go get a job. It would simplify my life .
• Riga, Latvia
Sounds awful busy to me. I guess that is the best way to look at it things never become boring.
Too busy, for my tastes. But that's the way life is at the moment, so I deal with it as best I can.
You can't do everything.
Sometimes it feels like I am supposed to....
Although I've heard the term many times I do have to wonder exactly what it really is. When I hear Hyperactivity it reminds me of how I was in my late teens and early 20s, but isn't that normal? So now I'm wondering what Attention Deficit really is, I may have had that when I was a pre teen, all my teachers complained to ma that I wasn't paying attention and that I was daydreaming. Isn't that normal too? Sometimes I think these "mental attitudes" are more normal than people think and no pills or meds are required.
I've wondered that myself. I've tried to instill a certain amount of self-discipline in my children. But sometimes self-discipline is much more easily said than done.
I think it's something we learn as we age @Platespinner not something a parent can actually teach ... just look at how many adults have low self discipline and many had parents that tried to teach them otherwise.
Yes, you have plenty to do in your life that makes for a life that is never boring. A good thing, in my opinion. So good to hear you entertain the dog too!!
The dog can be very demanding when she wishes to be entertained.
@Platespinner Our dog too. Woe is us!!
You teased us by not saying what the phonecall was about
I'm sure I write about that eventually .
@mandala100 (25391)
@Platespinner Thank you for this information on ADHD my friend.
You do realize that while my post began with a reference to ADHD, it was in no way intended to be an informative post about the disorder?
Just reading your discussion makes me tired you're a busy beaver.
@Srbageldog (5684)
Sounds like you have an extremely hectic life.
It seems sometimes that the Fates conspire to keep us busier than we'd like to be.
Your more relaxing year sounds even more hectic then before. Your an awesome gal all that you do for your family!