What is the origin of the "step"is?

Good afternoon. I have an interesting question I would like to know what the origin of the word "step" is? After my mom dies.My dad remarry a couple of years later. Some huge Italian woman.Who is supposed to be my step mom. she was ugly,mean,never smile.Her family was the same way. Not sure how my father got mix into this.Of course I was a young pup. What is the origin of the word step is.Like step mom,step sister,etc Where did this come from.Why is it a step mom or sisters. Just curious.My step sister yes like the witched one in Cinderella the whole family was nuts.I am so glad got away from them. For some reason I do not like the idea of step mom or dad or sisters. My question for the day. photo online
@hostessman (7229)
• Tucson, Arizona
i have never thought about it, so i can't say much about it
@hostessman I see.Complicated
@dgobucks226 (6879)
How about substitute Mom/Dad/Sisters/Brothers? Just kidding! But mentioning Cinderella and her evil step sisters maybe substitute might not be a bad term
@dgobucks226 perhaps.
I didn't think that someone could become your step parent without legally adopting you.
@Juliaacv.I did not get adopted My dad remarry after my mom die.Which makes her my step mom.Her family are or was my step family.
@amadeo So in my mind if your Mom passed, then she was still your Mom, the other would have been your Dad's second wife, but I wouldn't think that she'd really have a legal relationship with you without adoption papers. I know that is the way that it is up here now, I have a friend who went thru this. Without adoption it is considered to be a blended family by today's standards.
@Juliaacv We do not need this in this case.Dad remarries and the woman is my step mom. She is the step mother of her step children like me.
I've read the comments. It's an interesting question for sure. I'm sorry your step-family was so nasty.
When my ex remarried he pretty much picked a woman like you describe...mean and she never treated my children very well. She put ugly into the ugly stepmother category and although she wasn't really all that ugly in her face her ugliness came from within.
I understand this perfectly well.
I never thought about it, but I do love word origins.
I had no idea until I read the comments. Interesting.
Good question. I don't know where it came from.
I do not know the origin of step like in step mom. Did you try googling it? I was a step mom for 6 years. It was not a good experience on both sides.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I read Deborahs synopsis..very interesting to know.
That is a good question I have never thought to ask. Two mylot members I know of enjoy giving us insight into how things like this hot started so I am sure you will get your answer soon.