Favorite "Man" Songs #6 - "Highwayman"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
"Hey man, leave me alone." Those classic David Bowie lyrics are a great use of the word "man." Which brings us to #6 in my series of my favorite songs with "man" in the title: "Highwayman" by The Highwaymen. Outlaw country legends Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and Johnny Cash were The Highwaymen, lasting from 1985 to 1995. And while their version of "Highwayman" has proven the most popular, the song about reincarnation was first recorded by Jimmy Webb, who wrote the song. Then Glen Campbell recorded it for his 1979 album, Highwayman. Oddly, The Highwaymen were not too keen on recording the song, despite pressure from both Campbell and Marty Stuart. After finally relenting, The Highwaymen version spent 20 weeks on the Billboard Hot Country Songs, where it reached #1. (It also reached #1 on Canada's RPM Country Tracks chart.) It also won Webb a Grammy Award. It finished 1985 as Billboard's #5 country song of year. I have, naturally, linked to the official Highwaymen video. I hope you enjoy it, because it is truly a great song. Man. (Info verified by Wikipedia)
The Highwaymen's official music video for 'Highwayman'. Click to listen to The Highwaymen on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/THSpot?IQid=THH As featured on Highw...
If only they had made a movie called "The Highwaymen." Would have been a cool western starring those four and only Jennings lacked much acting experience.
That would have been really cool. Both Willie and Kristofferson had acting experience. Probably would have been great.
@FourWalls (12915)
@teamfreak16 — they all had acting experience. Cash was in a great episode of Columbo and received acclaim for The Pride of Jesse Hallam. And Waylon was in Nashville Rebel.
@FourWalls - Oh yeah. I totally forgot about that.
Thank you for the link there Scott.
You're welcome. I hope you liked it.
@teamfreak16 I did and your right it is good.
@amadeo - Good, I'm glad!
This is truly a great song Scott..that is for sure, thanks again. Hope you guys are fine.
Oh yes, thank you. We are doing fine. Just looking around to see what kind of vans are out there.
@teamfreak16 I really hope you get one that is reasonable and reliable Scott.
@TiarasOceanView - Oh, believe me, me too. It would suck to get a lemon.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
Never heard of the song or the group, but even a hint of a C&W connection makes me run!
Too bad. It's a cool song.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
@teamfreak16 It took me a minute while I wondered what the boat was about, but the horsemen in the sky cleared it
Thanks for the link.
Oh, you're welcome.
@FourWalls (12915)
I suppose you think I’m going to praise this selection. Well, you’re right.
I wasn't sure if you would approve or not!
Love this one great choice.
Thank you. It's a fantastic song.
I bet at the end of it all the Highwaymen were glad they'd succumbed to the pressure and recorded the song.
Apparently Waylon in particular wasn't too enthusiastic when Glen Campbell played it for him.
Wow, I never knew those four formed a band. This information passed me by somehow. Even though I don't like country music that much, I always liked and respected Johnnie Cash, and Willie Nelson who is 84. When I looked up his age, I just saw that Kris Kristofferson is 81. WOW!
They both are getting up there in years, that's for sure.
@dgobucks226 (10729)
I really like this version man! Jimmy Webb has written some good songs By the Time I Get To Phoenix for Glen Campbell and Up, Up and Away for The Fifth Dimension.
Definitely. He's in the Songwriters Hall of Fame for a reason.