But is the photo real? In this case, yes

Bunbury, Australia
In my last discussion I added a photo of a motor-bike in a tree. We used to see this regularly when we drove this particular road in Western Australia. The photo was taken perhaps 30 years ago and the vegetation has now grown up around the tree to the point where you have to look hard to find it. The story behind the bike is that one day it wouldn't start and the owner hoisted it into the tree. We drove that road just a few weeks ago and the bike is now sitting at the bottom of the tree. I guess the rope gave way after all those years. James (@JamesHxstatic) thought the photo was ‘created’ in Photoshop or somesuch. It isn’t but it reinforced a feeling I had earlier that I now find myself wondering if a photo is ‘real’ or not. Is it the result of a clever photographer maybe just touching up his own photo or if it has been concocted from several images? All sorts of improvements can be made with the many photo-enhancing programmes that are now available but more and more I find myself wondering if a photo is really so good or just someone clever with a program. Photography has been spoilt a little for me because I’m never sure now if someone is a crash-hot photographer or if they are just pulling the wool (apologies to Herc). Do you find yourself questioning whether a photo is ‘real’ or not?
It looks like someone tried making a jump like Evel Kneivel and landed in the tree.
It does look a bit like that doesn't it?
thanks for the chuckles this dreary morning!!! Guess nobody was as good as Evel Kneivel was as he would never land in a tree!
@Marty1 He'd probably only land in it once - meaning he might have killed himself.
@lady1993 (15642)
i wonder how he got that up there.. it looks heavy this is one of the disadvantages of technology indeed. it is hard to believe photos and even videos these days since they can easily be edited
I think it spoils our enjoyment of photos if you think they have been tampered with.
@lady1993 (15642)
@JudyEv indeed, i just love ghost sightings, but it is hard to find a real one these days
@lady1993 The last thing I need to find is a real ghost. But I think you mean a photo.
I can usually spot a doctored up photo, and I didn't think that this was one of them.
It's a shame they doctor photos as it means the really incredible ones are now viewed with suspicion.
@JudyEv You make a good point about photos being viewed with suspicion. i tend to take things literally and do not think about altering photos so it never occurred to me this might be a photo that was doctored! i also knew you would never do that to us!
@Marty1 Or, if I did, I would tell you. Vince does enhance his photos but just by brightening them or making them less dark etc.
@ilocosboy (33280)
Wow, it is true and not Photoshop photo, I thought it was not when I saw this few hours ago
It's hard to know what to believe as far as photos go.
@ilocosboy (33280)
that is right, its good the one who took the photo can clear it.
@SAM774 (2224)
I also thought it was Photoshop...... Nice cool picture I must say
If you have photoshop you can do almost anything with an image can't you?
@Frenzys9 (115)
I’m sure you did a double take. Cool picture
Someone told us to look out for it and yes, we did do a double take.
@Fleura (6198)
I guess there have always been ways of enhancing photos, from filters to darkroom techniques. That tree in the photo must be huge, it makes the bike look like a toy!
I can't believe that it is now difficult to see that branch as there have been a lot of trees grow up around it. You're right. The bike does look small but it was full-size.
It is incredible for the motor-bike to be in a tree in the picture.If it was not for you knowing the ins and outs about the picture, I would think of it as a photo processed with Photoshop.
I can understand that but I guess we see some quite strange things in Australia and while we might say, 'wow look at that' it wouldn't strike us as strange after the first sighting.
• Riga, Latvia
Interesting photo. I love to take digital photos and load them up in my PC. I like taking photos of all kinds of interesting things but I would not like to add anything to them. I like them just natural. Natural photos like this one of mushrooms growing on a tree.
I'm not keen on people adding stuff to photos but I don't mind so much if they say that's what they've done. We have photos of fungi too. There are some very unusual ones around. Yours is nice.
@AliCanary (1753)
Until I read your explanation, I wondered if it were a trick of perspective, like those pictures of people playing with the sun or the moon or the leaning tower of Pisa.
I have a photo of Vince 'propping up' a great castle. They are quite fun to do. But this is purely and simply what was in the viewfinder at the time.
I never considered it was doctored and am happy you gave an explanation! thank you as that confused me! (not a hard thing to do =)
I would always say if I put up a doctored photo. I don't like deceiving people - or being deceived.
@JudyEv I knew you would. I just didn't know you doctored up photos as it seems so hard. I am not good at doing regular photos! Though my sister almost gets a daily photo of Onyx to make her day better as I love taking his picture!
@Marty1 Perhaps you could add one here one day so we can all see how much he has grown.
I tend to believe in the honesty of people so I would be fooled easily by photos that are altered. I thought either it was a toy bike in tree or that tree was massive for the bike to look so small. I think this is so neat the story behind it. You can bet a lot of people stopped to photography this oddity and ask about it.
I guess the bike does look small but the photo hasn't been altered at all. It's off to the side of the road so it would be interesting to know how many people have spotted it. After we saw it the first time we always looked for it.
@JudyEv kind of a bummer it fell down after all those years.
@shaggin It fell down once before but then it was up in the air again. It will be interesting to see if it gets put back up this time. We don't travel that road much any more.
I do. There are lots of photos that seem to be doctored.
I think it is a shame really. It spoils the pleasure for me if I find myself thinking is that real or are they just clever with their software.
@Ronrybs (7133)
• London, England
This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands!
I think you are right. It would have taken a bit of effort to get that bike that high up.
@kepweng (6358)
oh its like in horror film and flying bike?
The effects in films can be very realistic can't they?
@Fishmomma (11617)
I know most photos are real that I see, so never question them. I don't see any reason for my friends to enhance a photograph.
Maybe not those of your friends but others that I come across here and there seem to be a bit too good to be true.
@LoriAMoore (9987)
Oh yeah, my father-in-law once hoisted a broken lawn mower up over a fence, so I can imagine this.
It's been there a long time so perhaps the tree has grown a little over time and hoisted the bike higher.
@1hopefulman (20311)
I usually don't question but if is very unusual then maybe we should.
Yes, that's true.
Well if they are too crazy I usually think they are photo shopped..but I guess the guy in particular had had it with the bike and decided to hang it all up so to speak..
Yes, that's about what happened.
I agree, I always have doubts about whether a picture is real or photo shopped. I don't mind if it's changed, but I don't want it passed off as real if it isn't.
That's exactly how I feel too.