We Had A Weevil Invasion In The Kitchen

The bugs in the kitchen were weevils. The Griffin pest control person figured out yesterday where the nest was. It was in the bottom of our curio cabinet where we keep the birdseed. Needless to say, the birdseed had to be thrown out. It was full of the tiny bugs. So, after almost a month, I shouldn’t have to keep looking for them. It was getting very annoying to keep looking for bugs. This is the second time they had come out. This guy said the other one might have been new so he didn’t recognize what kind of bugs they were. But he didn’t know we had birdseed either. I told my husband to make sure to move the cabinet so he could spray better so that’s how he found out yesterday. This morning, I found about ten. He said we would still find a few for a couple more days since the nest was in the house. They were attracted to the grain. I sure hope this is the end of that because I don’t like bugs.
Could you put the birdseed into an air-tight plastic pail or container and keep it outside in your carport? At least if it were sealed it would attract the rodents (mice) outside and you'd be bug-free inside. Good luck.
@Juliaacv That's what someone at work said. Not to keep it in the house.
@topffer (30727)
• France
I have had an invasion once in my stock of flour. I had about 10 kg of flour, and when I noticed them they had already invaded half of the packs. I do not stock more than 2 kg of flour now.
@topffer Many years ago I found them in some flour. And even in my box of cheezits!
@topffer (30727)
• France
@Susan2015 I suppose they were already in a pack when I bought it. They are real pests. I am happy that you found them before they did more damage.
@topffer Still finding a few but he said they should be gone by tomorrow or so. If not, he will be called and coming back out!
That is a yuck situation.
@JohnRoberts Yes it sure is.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
We had some in our flour once.
@thislittlepennyearns The Pest control man said they like the grains.
@lady1993 (15739)
i just looked it up and they are quite creepy. i hope they don't nest inside your house anymore
@lady1993 There are still a few. Found some tonight. They should be gone in a day or so he said.
• Preston, England
@teamfreak16 hope the exterminator got the last of them for you
Yes, actually. It worked quite well.
• Preston, England
@teamfreak16 The Weevil joke scene from Master And Commander
"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, ...
@Ganma7 (2074)
That is awful to go through. I hate bugs and in the house drives me crazy. Glad you got to the bottom of it.
@Ganma7 I don't like bugs period.
@Ganma7 (2074)
@Susan2015 Me either
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
Glad he found the nest I hate bugs in my house makes me nuts.
@fishtiger58 I don't like bugs in the house period!
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
@Susan2015 I don't either I am forever getting my hubby to kill things, especially as fall gets colder in they come.
@LoriAMoore (10132)
Ewww, I'm going to have to look up what a weevil is.
@LoriAMoore I had forgotten all about them until they started showing up in the dogs bowls. It's been many years ago that I found some in a container of flour.
I hope it is the last of those bugs for you too. We had carpenter ants, who made a nest in the sawdust left from a tree the village had to cut down, and it did take the Orkin guy a while to get rid of those things.
@Corbin5 I found about 10 of them tonight when I got home. Bernie said he didn't see any during the day. Apparently, they wait for me!
@Susan2015 They love you!!!!
@Corbin5 Yes as they seem to come out when I'm home! But I only found six this morning so they are tapering off as most of them were not alive.
@noni1959 (2667)
I'm glad you found where the source was. I don't like those and so far haven't had them in many years. In CA I would get them in flour or bird seed.
@noni1959 I found a few again today, but it looks like it's almost over!
@noni1959 (2667)
@Susan2015 I hope so. Sounds promising.
• Midland, Michigan
I've heard of weevils before but never heard of anyone that had seen them before. Doesn't sound like much fun. Over here in the middle of the state we had a major amount of stink bugs, they resemble aphids but are bigger. Lots of folks had them in their houses too. In fact, just last night something somewhat large buzzed past my ear and that probably was the offender. I never did find it later though, but I do still see them elsewhere from time to time. At least you sought professional help to get rid of them and know the source.If you kept the birdseed in the garage or shed it should eliminate the problem I'd think. At least it would keep them far from inside the house.
Oh wow. That would gross me out too.
@Fishmomma (11617)
I hope your able to get all of them out of your house. The only bug I like are Ladybugs.
I hope it's over for you, I wouldn't be very happy with those bugs in my house either. Yuck, I hate bugs.
I do not like bugs either they are just gross.
• Midland, Michigan
I talked to someone at work last night that bought birdseed. They keep theirs in the garage, but they've seen different types of bugs in their seed before too. Mainly moths and other types of critters, so keeping it outside somewhere might be your best bet.