Choo Choo!!

The Holiday Train is coming! Yeah, its kind of a North American thing. CP has a train that is referred to as the Holiday Train. And it is passing thru our area tonight. People gather in the spirit of giving and community betterment and since this is the 19th year that they've been doing it, I'd say it works. Communities usually provide a little entertainment, the train only makes a 20 minute stop, but people give so generously during that time. And its a festive time. The train makes its way thru many of our Canadian provinces as well as several states in the US. Have you seen the Holiday Train and will you donate to those less fortunate?
It is something that I have always wanted to see but unfortunately it doesn't come to the Maritimes.
No, I know it doesn't. It begins in Quebec and it doesn't go as far as BC either. My best friend, whom I lost 10 years ago, her husband worked for CP and he used to love taking her and their family down to the Holiday Train when it rolled thru town. The workers would really fuss over their little granddaughter and she loved it! I love the spirit of it all.
@Juliaacv I hope someday to see it.
I have not seen it but sounds cool! Love the picture too.
And minus the snow, it will actually look like that! It really kicks your Christmas spirit into high gear. You never see anyone not smiling and laughing at this gathering. And it makes your heart feel good to see so much giving, its the right way to be, regardless of the season.
@Juliaacv aww i wish i could see it. We have a lights thing here, that is surrounding a church i believe.. and you walk around and look at all the lights. Its free. But over an hour away. Only bwen once with my bf probably 5 years ago
@Courtlynn I'm sure that there will be some nice displays of lights for you to enjoy in your area. Each city usually does u p a park and the area around it every year, and we love to go and walk thru those. Its fun listening to people who have little children going thru parks like that, the little ones get so darned excited. I wish that I could borrow a couple of Jenn's kids to do that with!
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
What a cool idea, wish they did that around here.
I do love the fact that it cuts thru some of your states, basically the route that they use cuts from Michigan up and over to somewhere near Alberta. So it covers quite a bit of US territory, lots of donating and donations.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
@Juliaacv I guess they don't dip down far enough to cover my area.
@fishtiger58 I put a link for the train in a comment, if you go there you can see the US route.
That sounds amazing! =) Every year my kids go through their old toys and we give to a family that might not have any Christmas at all.
Charity begins at home. I think that is very generous of your family to reach out and help other like that. I remember doing that as a child, and my mother laughed at me telling me that she wouldn't replace any of my toys if I started giving them away. I knew that was a selfish way to act even though I was so young.
@Juliaacv Oh, that wasn't very nice of your mom. =( We try to teach our kids that giving is so much better than getting.
@LovingMyBabies You know I was only in about grade 2 when she made that comment, and I still remember it all of these years (decades really) later. She really did teach me a lot about parenting-mind you a lot of it was by reverse but I learned.
The Holiday Train will be in Gurnee, IL, on Dec. 2nd, a suburb considered part of the Chicago metropolitan area. Gurnee is far from our suburb, next to Lake Michigan, so I have never seen the Holiday Train. Our Chicago suburb has the Share the Spirit program that receives donations to help the less fortunate.
I love the innovative way that large companies, like CP Rail, go to in order to promote community awareness which in turn has to get more donations, which is so wonderful.
@Juliaacv We also have the Polar Express train run by Metra, the commuter train that takes riders from the Chicago suburbs to the city of Chicago and back. Families with children can ride the train to the city and back and they can wear pajamas, stories are read, and hot chocolate and goodies are served. Santa is on the train too.
@Corbin5 There is an old, short retired line that they run a family trainride program on. We took our son when he was small and they do it all Christmas themed during the month of December. Oh.....to be a kid again.....
I've never heard of this but it sounds a great idea.
They plan on a Rockin Rails gathering for our city.
@Juliaacv Will you be going to the station to join in?
@JudyEv We're hoping to.
@lady1993 (15716)
no, but is that it? in the picture? if it passed here, we would gladly donate to it
Yes, this is a photo of it taken a few years ago. Within a 3 week period the train makes its way from the start of the route to the end, which takes in destinations in both our country as well as our neighbouring country. And many of us look forward to it each year. They are having a Rockin Rail party for it here this year.
@lady1993 (15716)
@Juliaacv it looks very pretty. i hope you can get a picture of it this year
@YrNemo (8724)
I will have to research more about this train. Can't understand how this train has anything to do with donations.
People bring down their donations, when they come to see the well decorated train. Here's a link:
Skip to main content It looks like your browser does not have JavaScript enabled. Please turn on JavaScript and try again. CP Holiday TrainOur 19th annual Holiday Train program is underway, raising food and funds for local food banks across Canada and the
@YrNemo (8724)
@Juliaacv I get it now. A wonderful idea.
Christmas??? Bah!!! Humbug!!!
So does that mean that you'd say Pooh Pooh to my Choo Choo?
@Juliaacv I think it would be cool if it went by here since the end of my yard overlooks the railway through town
Who is on the train?
They have some entertainers on it, and when they make their stops they get out and sing and play their instruments for the crowds. The food collected goes to the local food banks.
I thought it was the Polar Express!
No, your country has the market cornered on that it appears.....
Roll up to Northern Arizona for a family-friendly train bonaza straight from the movie! Receive your own silver bell from Santa while enjoying Christmas carols, storytelling, hot chocolate, and cookies.
I have not head of this before.
You must not be in a state that it visits. Its great for donations and getting into the spirit of Christmas.
@dodoazo (11311)
I don't know what's Holiday Train. I have no idea about it. I live in the Philippines. No idea about this especially why people have to donate. Why?
Non-perishable food items are donated to the Food Pantries of the areas. It makes us all realize that we have to help each other.
@tzwrites (3821)
That is so cool!! I wish I could see it.