Lucky, Unlucky

@YrNemo (8758)
There is a property which we often walk past. A year ago, the pleasant-looking house suddenly got bulldozed to the ground and within weeks, a fancy and modern two-storey house stood there instead. Knowing how fickle builders could be, we all thought the owner of that new house was lucky. Months passed. That fancy modern house stood there, empty. Nothing else seemed to progress: no painting, no landscaping, the garage seemed to be completed but not really completed etc with the frame done, but nothing else. With Christmas approaching, we passersby these days shook our heads, saying, 'We thought the owner was lucky, but they are not really lucky are they?' Other properties around that one, being bulldozed months after and remained bare for a long time, getting plenty of pity looks from passersby, all are now fancy newly constructed two-storey houses with people living in them. Luck perhaps never stays too long with anyone? Fickle isn't she!
I wonder why no one is in the house yet?
@YrNemo (8758)
Perhaps there is no electrical wiring yet? (I keep trying to figure out why...)
@YrNemo I would be really curious too. I'd be sneaking in there to have a look!
@YrNemo (8758)
@JudyEv When I saw a tradesman came to paint the garage and inside the house, I thought to myself, 'Ah, so that was why they haven't moved in yet!' Another few months passed, then they put the garage door in, I thought, 'Ah, I see, so they haven't completed that, that is why...' Another few months passed, then some grumpy seniors came, stomping about the place (very unhappy), I thought, 'Ah, that must be the owner, got angry because things still not ready...' Then another few months passed.... You see the picture? nothing really gets done after the building has been completed.
@topffer (30767)
• France
I remember to have seen in Liverpool a neighborhood completely bulldozed. From a French point of view it is shocking. Houses are rarely bulldozed here, and no more than once at all. My neighborhood is protected, quite not a house around can be bulldozed. A few years ago a developer bought a building with a large garden where he was hoping to build a multiple dwelling. He removed the walls of the garden and a nice looking 16th C well could be seen from the street in the middle of the garden. It has been the end of his project : the city refused that he moved this well in another place, and he could not build with it. There is now a jungle in this garden, the wall has still not been rebuilt.
@YrNemo (8758)
Oh dear, sounds like that developer hasn't done his study well prior to buying that block. I heard of many cases here, in which the owners couldn't improve their properties due to certain clauses or restriction in their titles. They cunningly sold their properties to someone else and the buyers if not aware of those restrictions, could later do nothing to that property either.
@topffer (30767)
• France
@YrNemo Or he thought that he would get an authorization to move the well in another place of the plot... All the old city here is a protected area. When they did the maps they classified the buildings in 3 categories : those that could be bulldozed, those that could be modified, and those where you cannot remove a wall inside the building. Mine is in the last category, but I do not intend to remove the 1m thick walls from the 13th C that I have inside.
@YrNemo (8758)
@topffer 1 m thick? North Korea's bomb shouldn't affect you then!
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh yes, luck is very fickle. Perhaps they ran out of cash to complete the build... ah life..
@YrNemo (8758)
You could be right, perhaps they suddenly run out of cash, so must sit on their hands while waiting for some miracles?
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@YrNemo, in that case, I second that
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
That`s why I prefer to have a balanced life for long time than having too much for a short time
@YrNemo (8758)
@YrNemo Thanks
I wonder why it is still empty and why someone does not occupy it.
@YrNemo (8758)
Someone pointed out that perhaps the owner ran out of money to do more work. Or more likely, the owner hasn't paid the builder yet, so they are not allowed to move in to do any extra work. (It is silly otherwise to pay about US $600 rent per week while leaving that new house empty. Doesn't make sense one bit!)
@YrNemo No Darcy, it doesn't make sense but who knows what is inside their head.
@YrNemo (8758)
Perhaps it's too modern, unfinished within, or the price is too high for the area. What a shame.
@YrNemo (8758)
I think so too, considering the rent in that area is about $600 for a 3 bedroom (old) house (perhaps $750 for a 2 storey house), per week. I kept thinking of the losing money!
@YrNemo Losing money sucks! lol
@YrNemo (8758)
@DianneN THAT, I call unlucky!
@hereandthere (24252)
i'm seeing more and more fancy two, three story houses here that take up the whole lot. it feels like being in a cement box.
@YrNemo (8758)
I am not a fan of that sort of design either, so unnatural to me.
@YrNemo yes, because here, the houses used to have enough space for the car, to hang laundry, have plants, a garden set or swing. you had enough space, soil, air/ventilation, and sunlight.
@YrNemo (8758)
That's sad the house wasn't completed.
@YrNemo (8758)
While the owner would have to move somewhere, paying a huge rent per week. Such a waste!
@YrNemo Yes, it is.
@1hopefulman (20467)
So what happened?
@YrNemo (8758)
No clue. We are just passersby, watching the old house gone, re-built, and empty that long.
@1hopefulman (20467)
@YrNemo I wonder if it will ever be finished?
Did the one house ever get completed.
@YrNemo (8758)
From the outside, it was completed almost a year ago. At the rent of about US $600 a week, I don't understand why that beautiful brand new house was left empty like that, no landscape, nothing.
Maybe there's some kind of dispute going on in the background. I love a mystery!
@YrNemo (8758)
You could be right there, perhaps the owner didn't have enough money to pay, hence the builders wouldn't hand over the paperwork with warranty, hence the owner couldn't paint, nor being allowed to paint of do any other work on that premise.
Hopefully, this one will eventually becomes a nice home that is humans living in it sooner or later.
@YrNemo (8758)
We passersby, are keeping watch . Such a waste, built then being left empty like that for almost a year now.
Maybe the owners changed plans or fell on hard times.
@YrNemo (8758)
You could be right there. Perhaps he/she no longer has any money for the landscaping, the painting inside the house, etc.
Maybe they cannot move in until the building inspection is completed.
@YrNemo (8758)
I think that was done ages ago. It is part of a contract here, no inspection, no hand over the money.
@dodoazo (11377)
Have you know not thought of anything why it's incomplete or lacking of furnishings? I remember always this statement from our fave elementary school teacher, "Never make any hasty judgment if yiu don't know the reason." In like manner, she said it figuratively such as don't judge the book by its cover. I don't know if those sayings are connected to the situations. Anyway that's only my opinion.
@FayeHazel (11863)
Ah yes... I hope whoever owned the home eventually loved it
• Marion, Kansas
I wonder if they ran out of money before completing the place.
@ridingbet (38163)
a big building in the locality is for sale now, because the tenants come and go. there is another one along the highway. i think these structures are built on loan from the bank, and the owners of the buildings left our country to evade the bank from asking for their payment to the loans.
@bunnybon7 (33165)
• Holiday, Florida
maybe they are wanting too much for that house and need to make a better deal. poor house