Why are people surprised?

Ponce De Leon, Florida
With all the sexual allegations that are getting people fired from high power jobs, there have been a lot of posts about the shock and surprise of this happening. Jeffery Tambor, Matt Lauer and Kevin Spacey are among the ones that have been in the news in the last couple weeks. Yeah, it sucks that it happened. And that they thought that they could get away with it, whatever the details are I'm not entirely aware. But why are people so surprised? The answer is a simple one and one that is probably over looked. I think the only reason that people seem so surprised about it is because celebrites, news casters (basically anyone in the media) are put on a pedestal and admired, so when they fall they seem to fall harder.
I am not surprised or shocked - even though I did like Matt lauer as a TV presenter. He is just one of the many who behave like that - some are caught and some get off scot free .
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Or it was a publicity stunt.
I’m happy to see the women finally coming forward. These men deserve what they are getting.
I think that those that are so shocked are those that put these individuals up on pedestals. I am shocked that there have been so many accusations in that sector, but not shocked with the names-it could be anybody, they are all just people to me.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I'm not that shocked nor am I shocked that it happens in the sector. It happens everywhere. Why isn't it news when it happens in all areas or sectors?
@thislittlepennyearns Its news, but not as big news if the individuals aren't well known.
@thislittlepennyearns I agree, it happens everywhere, but when you are a celebrity and always in the public eye, you have to be on your best behavior, because if you even sneeze the public is made aware of it. That is the price of fame.
I wonder how many secretaries got a leg up with those situations. Man please they know this goes on all the time. And now to go all out like this.. It's way out there. If they do this they need to get on facebook and start cleaning up.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
It happens everywhere. My thoughts are that the women were paid off.
@thislittlepennyearns. Thi is just crazy.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@sharon6345 not really. It's how life is
What always amazes me is they are celebrities and there are many women eager and willing to be with celebrities so why do these men force their attentions? They can also afford expensive professionals to deal with "needs." Of course, it's probably a game and about exerting power for them.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
And whose really to say that the "victims" were actually victims at the time, and not just someone who enjoyed and consented to it at the time but then decided to make a buck off of it now..
@thislittlepennyearns That is an issue to be considered and why the lines are very grey sometimes.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@JohnRoberts Yep. You never really know what really happened..
@moffittjc (45213)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not surprised at all. Been a long time coming.
@Daelii (5901)
I'm not at all surprised. 99% of rapist are roaming free and don't have to account for what they do. In fact, many of them keep doing it. As is the long case and history many of these people have... that it goes back 1 year, 10 years, 20 years, 30.. yes thirty!!! Its like why does it matter what happened 30 years ago? does it matter? I think it does because a lot of it , IMHO is that things ARE CHANGING. People still generally blame the victim as its their fault (why did you drink? why did you wear a top that wasn't a mans top to cover you? why did you not go with a friend?) etc. That had they come forward at the time what would have happened to them? lost a job? a career? rape happens every day - and every day its generally ignored. its not important until a person knows the victim or they are on tv. :( :( But nevertheless, social media is making it easier to spread awareness from the victims point of view.