Not a whole lot of help really!

@Fleura (6224)
United Kingdom
Earlier this week Little One had a day off school (teacher training day). In the morning I planned to make pear upside-down cake, so I asked her if she would like to help me make a cake. ‘Yes!’ she replied, seeming very keen – but then she added that she didn’t want to make that cake, she wanted to make little cakes. So I started preparing the ingredients for two different kinds of cake (I still wanted to make the pear cake anyway because a friend had given me a big bag full of pears!), and we mixed up the mixture to make fairy cakes. Then she said she wanted them to be chocolate cakes, so I adapted the mix to suit. Then, once they were cooked, she wanted to ice them, and not just plain icing but in several different colours. So I mixed up some icing and divided it into little batches and she added food colouring and decorated the cakes. Of course all this meant that doing what I had originally intended to do took about three times as long… and then guess what? Once the cakes were made and baked and decorated I suggested she might eat one, but she said ‘Oh no, I don’t like cake!’ At least Big One and various visitors all liked them – and I guess making them provided some entertainment! All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2017.
Haha. There is no telling with kids is there? She must have enjoyed the experience though.
@Fleura (6224)
I guess it's all good fun - and she did enjoy being able to offer them to people and have them tell her how nice they were!
@m_audrey6788 (11510)
That`s fun! The photo looks so great!
@Fleura (6224)
She does make me laugh. The photo is the pear and cardamom upside-down cake I made, a friend has a very prolific pear tree!
@Fleura It looks so tasty!
That was so so cute.
@Fleura (6224)
She is funny, she has her own ideas of exactly what she wants to do!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Your cake looks good.
@Fleura (6224)
Thanks, it's a pear and cardamom upside-down cake, and yes it is really good!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@Fleura what does a cardamon taste like
@Fleura (6224)
@thislittlepennyearns I don't know how to describe it, it's an Indian spice used in both sweet and savoury dishes, often to flavour rice. It has a slightly sweet, spicy, almost nutty sort of flavour, not 'hot' at all.
Well, the experience of creating those cakes was a good one for her, even if she did not want to eat them.
@Fleura (6224)
At least she enjoyed offering them to visitors!
Little One is funny, I thought she would have loved the cakes she made.
@Fleura (6224)
The 'experts' often say you should involve the children in cooking so they will be more likely to eat what they have cooked. Obviously they haven't met my daughters - they still won't eat what they have made, not even when it includes chocolate!
@Fleura I started to help Mom in the kitchen when I was very young, but I did not eat most of the things I helped to prepare.
What child doesn't like cake? Is she mad!?
@Fleura (6224)
She has never been keen, but I thought maybe she had developed a taste for it. She likes the icing! In the past we have had to concoct non-cake edible birthday celebration things for her!
@Ayas2991 (60)
Its looks delicious, I think the taste also match with its looks. I ever eaten cake made with pear and cardamom. It will b a wonderful experience if I would eat such delicious variety cake.
@Fleura (6224)
It is very nice, the flavours blend together well.
That is just hilarious!!!! Your cake looks yummy.
@Fleura (6224)
Thank you, it was - I just ate the last piece : )
@YrNemo (8598)
Been there done that with my little kids ages ago. They drove me nuts at times. I love the cake in the picture.
@Fleura (6224)
I know, you bend over backwards to do what they want, and then you wonder why you bothered. You have to laugh.
@YrNemo (8598)
@Ronrybs (7132)
• London, England
A slice of pear would go down a treat!
@Fleura (6224)
I need to get on my bike like you to justify the amount I've eaten!
@kobesbuddy (19408)
• East Tawas, Michigan
LOL This really made me smile, Little Miss had so much fun baking and frosting little cakes:)