Have You Ever Cut Down Your Own Christmas Tree?

We have a Christmas tree farm nearby and every time I drive past I wonder how many people cut down their own tree for the holiday. I never did this and my daughter remarked one day that it probably would be fun. It's probably fun for other people with kids but I'm happy with my artificial tree that requires no work or watering. Of course in Christmas commercials and movies you see cars with trees tied to the roof and snow on the ground and it gives a ambiance to the holidays. We always had a real tree when I was growing up and it was fun going to the lot to pick out our tree but I never knew anyone who actually cut down their own tree. Have you?
Oh its so much fun! We used to cut down a fresh tree every year. There was a Christmas tree farm that we'd drive to. They would have campfires near the parking lot that you could get some hot cocoa at while you waited for the wagon ride back to the bush.
That does sound like lots of fun. Now I'm sorry I never did it.
My Dad went to his brother's farm and cut the best xmas tree he could find every year.
So you got a fresh cut tree every year growing up?
We always buy ours in the square.
When we had live trees we always got ours in the square or tree lot as it's called here.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Personally no. But I've gone with people when they've done it.
That sounds like fun. Did you enjoy it?
We bought a real tree every year when I was a kid, but we lived in a city and we never went to cut our own tree. Locally people buy real tree with roots and they put the tree in big vases. My neighbors have the same for at least 5 years, it's growing up.
We had live trees too when I was growing up. My dad would bring it home and stand it next to the house until it was time to bring it inside and decorate. We never bought ones with real roots but it sounds pretty nice to be able to have the same tree for years.
@Marilynda1225 Here they try to convince people to buy trees with roots and to plant them in their garden, it's a way not to waste and kill so many trees. I think it's a good policy.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
No never, I will stick with my artificial one because it's put it up take it down and done.
I'm an artificial lover myself but if I was younger I might be tempted to go cut down a real tree at least once to have that experience
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Marilynda1225 It would be fun but as you said you have to water it and clean up after it when it drops it's needles. And it can be a fire hazard.
• Rochester, New York
We always buy pre cut trees. The tree lot we go to will take you out on a tractor so that you can pick out your own tree, but that costs more, so we get the ones that are already cut.
That sounds like fun. We do that when we go pumpkin picking and the ride is half the fun.
No trees for me!
You're smart!!! You don't even have one in Florida?
@Marilynda1225 We are Jewish, so none for us. Our condo puts up a lovely fake tree in the lobby and Chanukah objects.
We've never cut down our own Christmas tree! I grew up with an artificial tree . . . and at our apartment we've only had the artificial ones. When we got this house, our first Christmas was with our first fresh tree - but from a lot. But since then we've pulled out the artificial ones again.
We had ones from a tree lot too when I was growing up but once I got married we only had artificial ones
@Marilynda1225 Fresh is nice, but I admit it's just too convenient to pull out the artificial one from a box in the garage .
Yes, we did. I was 8 months pregnant when we did, so my husband did the chopping. It was fun, but the tree was not any fresher than those on the lots.
I'm surprised that it wasn't any fresher but I think it would be fun to chop down your own tree (but not 8 mos pregnant )
@Marilynda1225 It was his idea. I was young. I went along with it. Oh well. No harm done.
@UncleJoe (8502)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Yes, indeed. I have even chopped down an artificial tree.
You're too funny Uncle Joe which tree was harder to cut down???
@UncleJoe (8502)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Marilynda1225 The aluminum tree was harder on my chainsaw.
• Derby, England
My step daughter has a farm and they can cut their own but we have an artificial one as i can't cope with the falling needles on the carpet
Falling needles and having to water the tree is just too much for me these days. I do enjoy the smell of a nice tree though
Yes we used to cut ours down every year. A real cedar tree. I would spot one and ask the property owner, 9 of 10 times they said yes.
I wouldn't know a cedar tree from a fir tree etc. I'm not much of a country person even though I live in the country now
@LoriAMoore (9922)
No but I'm picturing how good that would smell.
I think it sounds like a fun experience but now I'm too old to go trudging through a tree farm looking for a perfect tree.
Nope never knew anyone who did either. And have always had fake trees here
• Lakewood, Colorado
I haven''t but I would love to. I had gone with my Father to cut a tree when I was a child..of course he cut it.
@peachpurple (11016)
I had never seen a farm of Christmas tree before, 8 have a real one outside my house but it became I'll and the leaves fell off. I wouldn't cut it down , prefer to let it grow
Yes, many years ago we did. I think I have only done that once or twice though...except when I was a kid. It was an annual pilgrimage to find the perfect tree.
@Srbageldog (5419)
Nope, I've never cut down my own tree. We always had a real tree (that we would buy from the Garden Center at Target) when I was growing up, but I haven't had a real tree since I was a teenager.
We cut a branch of a eucalyptus one year and used that for our tree but that's it.