Frustrated with a couple of friends who are also co-workers

Walnut Creek, California
Ever been in a situation where you work with friends, but are frustrated with what they're doing on the job? One is my immediate boss at the preschool. Yesterday, she shooed me away as she was dealing with a favorite kid of mine, a 2 1/2-year old who was crying and had been for 15 minutes. She's been micro-managing us, and I kind of wish she's just stay out of the classroom! Another is an Administrator for whom English is a second language. I'm transferring my medical insurance to the preschool, and she's making it really difficult by giving me incomplete instructions and then dumping things back on me when she makes a booboo. Oh well, this too shall pass. The image is of Mark Twain's daughter, Susy, taken in 1873. Her expression reflects how I feel right now.
As my only co-worker (and Boss) has been my husband during all my life, I have not big experiences of dealing with other people. I understand that some situations are frustrating.
• Walnut Creek, California
If everyone does their job, and does it well, things usually turn out OK. Is your husband a good boss?
@TheHorse My husband is a strict boss, he is a perfectionist, so he does not stand to see even the smallest imperfection when I do something. This does not mean that he is not a good boss.
• Walnut Creek, California
@LadyDuck I am a perfectionist too when it comes to "business," whether it be speaker refinishing, college teaching, or working with kids.
It sure shall but it's not nice..
• Walnut Creek, California
The saga continues.
As a special education teacher, I was always disappointed and frustrated by regular education teachers who felt they needed to tell me how to provide support for my special education students who were mainstreamed into their classrooms. I ignored them and did what I knew was best, but I sure did not appreciate their interference.
In some ways it has not gotten any better.
• Walnut Creek, California
Many of the older kids I work with are (one-on-one in the afternoons) are in Special Education. But I don't deal with their teachers that often.
@GardenGerty One teacher interfered far too often regarding the support I was providing for my students, and I told my principal I was pulling my students from that classroom and would teach the subject matter myself. My principal granted my request.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
Just think of how much the kiddos love you. You're right this too shall pass.
• Walnut Creek, California
That keeps me going.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheHorse Good. I know you're making a difference in their lives
that is a pain...I also have one co-worker that drives me up the wall sometimes, she’s just a teacher same as I am but she’s approaching retirement and she thinks she knows it all that she’s always in everyone’s business...and the worst part of it all is that our principal listens to her without weighing the facts first! But I’ve learned to just shake her off and avoid her all together, and if she oversteps on my rights well I fight back...by smiling and pointing out that it is absolutely none of business...
• Walnut Creek, California
Does she accept that it is none of her business?
@vandana7 (69049)
@TheHorse ...It is kind of difficult to tell others that. They take it as offense. Sigh...I have tried all the methods, and so I have realized best way is to rationalize, and if they don't accept the truths, then be nasty because it means they understand and realize and are still obtuse.
• Walnut Creek, California
@vandana7 Yep. I'm going to do what I can, let it go, and just do my job.
@dodoazo (22051)
I have retired from my teaching and school supervisory and administrative job for 25 years. My frustrations, disgust, ill comfort or misunderstanding among my co employees are so many as the sand in the seashore, but I overcame all of them by ignoring them
• Walnut Creek, California
Sometimes (but not always) that is the best way to go. Nice analogy (or is it a simile)?
@dodoazo (22051)
@TheHorse That's metaphore.
@fishtiger58 (30317)
• Momence, Illinois
Thankfully no I have never worked with friends. Doesn't sound like an ideal situation for you right now. Yup that expression on Susy's face bout says it all.
• Walnut Creek, California
Susy was a kid with attitude. I think that's why she was Mark Twain's "favorite."
• Rochester, New York
I miss working in daycare, but I don't miss dealing with stuff like that. The director was always coming into the classrooms and disrupting things. Crying children are the worst I hope the little one was ok.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yep. People coming into the room can't know WHY the child is crying. Just back off and let the teacher(s) handle it.
@Diamond55 (118)
I hope your medical aid gets sorted out soon. All the best.
• Walnut Creek, California
Thanks. I don't want a texting driver to squish me when I'm uninsured.
that is a great photo there.Sorry to hear this.Hope you can work it out.
That is very hard. So, how do you handle them The Horse?
• Walnut Creek, California
I say as little as I can. It happened again today.
@TheHorse So when you do not say much to them what do they do?
• Walnut Creek, California
@Hannihar Pretty much the same as they had been doing.
@kobesbuddy (59657)
• East Tawas, Michigan
When I worked at a local daycare center, we had a screamer among the work staff! I'd be so stressed out, working under those conditions, for hours at a time:( It made the children, and me, a nervous wreck! On top of that, she lied to our boss and got me in trouble! People can be awful, so they don't have to admit they're wrong
• Walnut Creek, California
What makes it really hard for me is that both people are good friends. The Director is GREAT, but she's been grumpy and overly controlling recently. Screaming at kids, as you experienced, is bad for them in many ways. I could go all psychological on you and say that screaming increases cortisol, a stress hormone, and chronically elevated cortisol is bad for the hippocampus, a brain structure essential for memory retention. So stress inhibits learning, and we're trying to get our littlies to learn!
@kobesbuddy (59657)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse The children were only being kids, Heather was acting like a jerk! Did I get along with her, yes I did. But working with a screamer, it's hard to deal with:( Finally, Peggy gave me playground duty outside, what a blessing! LOL
• Denver, Colorado
I never could stand micro managers. Lots of them in the Army, though. Had no choice.
• Walnut Creek, California
I reckon in the Army it's just yes sir, no sir.
• Denver, Colorado
@TheHorse - Pretty much.
@pgntwo (22751)
• Alanya, Turkey
The word "pish" comes to mind. More of an expletive, actually. I feel for ya.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yeah, I'll survive it. I think.
@pgntwo (22751)
• Alanya, Turkey
@TheHorse Pretty sure you will...
I've never had a problem working with friends or administrators that were friends. Lucky me. Good luck to you.
• Walnut Creek, California
It's not usually an issue for me either.
Working with friends doesn't always work out. I hope all this 'passes' shortly.
• Walnut Creek, California
She's still doing it. I think it's because she's stressed about other things.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sounds like those two can be a daily irritation.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm still at that job. That's a good thing.
@vandana7 (69049)
Grumpy look...hmmm ...am I glad I am not the "administrator for whom English is a second language". If it is any consolation two and a half years old children are adorable. I love princess as you know. So she likes using my cell phone now...listening to motu patlu video while she tries to eat her lunch. She can't pronounce YouTube as yet. I kind of want her to stay at my home, forever. She drew up small rounds she called ice creams...and she said this is for dada (her father), this is for paternal grandma, this is for brother, this is for atta (that is me), this is for me (hmmm I came before her), this is for attata (my father), and then her mother. This one is really really great child. Pity she will grow up.
• Walnut Creek, California
Pity they all grow up. I find myself thinking that sometimes.
@peachpurple (12765)
When this happens, you can get things done smoothly
• Walnut Creek, California
I just keep on keeping on until it gets resolved.
I ran a a roofing company for years, I owned my own landscaping business for years, I have been a landlady for years, I know difficult people, especially co workers. Relax, things will work out.
• Walnut Creek, California
I just do what I do (well) and let the drama pass.