Today's chuckle - a couch-surfer's story

Bunbury, Australia
We belong to an international organisation called couch-surfers which allows you to host people from around the world and also gives you the opportunity to request accommodation, or just a friendly contact, from other members when you are travelling. It is designed to allow cheaper travelling and is especially popular with younger people who don’t mind sleeping a night or two on the floor or couch perhaps. Some of our couch-surfers have remained friends and we visited several when we were overseas. They often have funny stories to tell and have provided us with some fine entertainment. One young German lad had a job in our town Donnybrook in Western Australia. He had a job which required him to live onsite in the hotel there but he would come out on weekends occasionally. His name was Christian. We visited and stayed with Christian in 2015. He is married to a Russian girl he met while travelling and they now have a little boy. The story of the relationship would take too long to divulge here so I’ll save it for later. He told us that while travelling in Indonesia he was invited by a local person to a family celebration. There was an old lady sitting off to the side at the party and Christian approached and said ‘Hello, I’m Christian’. The old dear looked him up and down without smiling and eventually said ‘I’m Muslim’. The photo is of some wall art in Christian's home town.
It would have been more appropriate to say "My name is Christian", imagine if he was a Spanish and his name was Jesus, how it would sound "Hello, I am Jesus"?
That would be even funnier. Perhaps now he says 'my name is Christian'. If my name was Christian, I wouldn't have thought about it being taken the wrong way.
@JudyEv I know that when we traveled in the United States, every waiter coming to our table used to say "Hi my name is...", there are no space to imagination.
@LadyDuck This is much the better way.
@cahaya1983 (9723)
Haha that is so funny! That's why traveling abroad can be very interesting.
Yes, we've had some marvellous experiences when we've been travelling too.
• Eugene, Oregon
Very funny and he would have to explain.
Yes, he would. Her comment wouldn't be one you'd be expecting would it?
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv Not at all. It would stop you for a moment.
religion seems to be a very big issue there!
Where he was it must have been - at least with the old lady.
@Fleura (6225)
@JudyEv @toniganzon I don't think it was a big issue necessarily, the lady was probably surprised that a stranger came up to her and instead of introducing himself, apparently stated his religion. I mean if you were not familiar with the use of 'Christian' as a name, you would be surprised - imagine if someone introduced themselves by saying, for example 'Hello, I'm Sikh'.
@Fleura @LadyDuck gave a very funny example too. What if a Spaniard introduced himself by saying 'Hi, I'm Jesus'.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
You never know, the old dear may not be as daft she seemed. She might actually be called Muslim.
I guess that's a possibility. @LadyDuck said it's lucky our friend wasn't a Spaniard called Jesus!
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv He would have probably been killed for impersonating a prophet!!
@FayeHazel (11863)
That wall art is great. I think it's a wonderful idea , cheaper for the traveler and nice for you as well. Do they screen people so that no harm comes to the hosts?
There are various safeguards in place and references that you can access. Like everything else, you should be careful as they can't cover all eventualities.
@FayeHazel (11863)
@JudyEv Ah good to know there are some safe guards in place
Too funny! I love that wall! I've seen articles on how artists have masked plain or eyesore walls with cool art . . . I enjoy seeing these photos!
It seems a popular way of beautifying cement or brick areas.
@ilocosboy (33307)
He he, that was an honest response. That must be good, I mean being a member of couch surfers. When we're doing outreach orogram, we can sleep on anything at night.
We stayed with couch-surfers in Bavaria and they were very kind to us.
@valmnz (13198)
• New Zealand
That is quite funny!
It's not a response you'd be expecting is it?
@valmnz (13198)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv I wonder if his names created all sorts of other situations for him too.
@valmnz I imagine after that he might have said 'my name is Christian'. Did you read Anna's response?
Now, I get it. She did not know that was his name and thought he was telling her he is Christian. That funny. That organization sounds great.
That's right \. I wonder if he now says 'my name is Christian' when he introduces himself to strangers rather than 'I am Christian'.
@JudyEv Judy, that is a good one.
I like the wall art Remind me of my depression years.
It is skilfully done. There were a lot of similar ones in that town.
LOL, I love it!
I thought it was very funny.
@MarymargII (8370)
• Toronto, Ontario
Ha ha! She must have thought- why is telling me this first thing--good poker face from her-hahaha!
No doubt she wasn't very impressed at all!
• Toronto, Ontario
@JudyEv Probably thought: Who starts off a conversation like this? haha!
@MarymargII She probably thought it was very confrontational.
@YrNemo (8744)
Christian will have a good story to tell won't he?
@YrNemo (8744)
@JudyEv I think that lady was looking at him because she was puzzled more than anything. It sounds silly to go around telling people your religion, that lady must have thought.
that's a very funny story and I had to laugh. Being part of a couch-surfer group sounds really interesting
We thought it was very funny. We've met some lovely people through couch-surfing including an American couple in their 50s who rode their bikes right across Australia from Sydney. The Nullarbor Plain is quite inhospitable especially on bikes!
@miketagz (1329)
That's amazing art. Especially traveling is to know about country's food specialty, tradition, culture, and tourist's spot where you can see different kinds of nature wonders. :-)
We enjoyed our travels in strange countries and were always coming across interesting things.
@Fleura (6225)
Yes I can imagine that. After all it is quite a strange name when you think about it, and you never come across people called 'Muslim' or 'Hindu' as far as I know! I used to work with someone whose surname was Christian. She was always having to explain it and got into the habit of saying 'Christian - like the religion' so one day she got a letter addressed to 'Dr Religion'
It isn't that common a name for sure. Your friend would have felt she was knocking her head against a brick wall.
Quite a picture..Couch surfers sounds a lot like Air B N B.
Except that you don't pay for your bed. It's especially good for younger people. It's almost like having instant friends.
@1hopefulman (20467)
That is an interesting organization. I have never heard of it.
Most of the backpackers we meet have heard of it even if they are not members.
That's really funny.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.