DANGEROUS TIMES.

image by pixabay
Let's face it, the world we live in is becoming more and more dangerous day by day. The things we could do freely - say thirty or forty years ago -are out of the question in these times. I remember those times (I was in my late teens) when I would accept rides from strangers instead of getting on the bus - and no harm ever came to me. These days I would never do something like that - even if I didn't have my own transport. Can you think of one or two things which you did fearlessly years ago, but won't dream of doing now?
well while in the Service.I always hitch hike home for the weekend.
These days one should be more careful of course.
@Kandae11 you gave me a topic to write about.Thank you
@amadeo You're welcome.
@LoriAMoore (9976)
Walk outside after midnight.
I remember those days when my boyfriend and I would take a stroll after a late movie - and there was nothing to fear on the streets, regardless of how late it was.
@1hopefulman (20278)
At one time I used to pick up hitchhikers all the time and have never had one negative experience in my life but I would never do that anymore as the times and people are different. There is a lot less trust these days.
You are right - the person who picks up the hitchhiker could also be potting him or herself in danger.
@1hopefulman (20278)
@Kandae11 I used to stay out till all hours but as of late I like to do my necessary things during the day and be home by early evening.
@1hopefulman Sensible thinking.
I do still accept rides around town but your right I probably shouldn’t do that anymore unless I know the person.
Even if the crime rate is very low in your town - who knows ? - that stranger you accept a ride from could be from out of town.
@Kandae11 exactly I should just be more careful just in case.
I never was brave enough to hitch-hike but that would be the obvious one for many people. I guess walking alone at night is something I'd never do now.
One has to be extremely careful these days.
As grammar school kids, we would go trick-or-treating by ourselves until 10 p.m. at night, no parents around. Would not let a kid do that now.
Yes indeed - trick-or-treating these days could be a tricky one.
• Preston, England
tree climbing was one of my joys - now I panic for his safety and feel envious when I see a friend's son scrambling up the branches of various trees
Did you ever fall during your tree climbing days?
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 no though I did once get stuck in a tree and a friend had to get a ladder to me
@arthurchappell Lucky the friend was there, - no cellphones around at that time so you could call for help.
Call me fearless. The things I did back then, I still do today. The things I didn't do then, I still don't do today - I didn't and never have hitchhiked for instance. I also have a fear of heights, so nothing involving heights crosses my path willingly.
I don't suppose you would ever want to go to the top of the Eiffel tower - neither would I.
@Kandae11 No. If I see it from the top, it would have to be from the plane taking me to Paris. Or from the coziness of my computer where I know you can do anything, including skydiving, another thing I would never do.
@just4him That's just the way I would do it.
@JustBhem (22430)
• Davao, Philippines
I think lying?
It is really good that you don't do that anymore.
@JustBhem (22430)
• Davao, Philippines
@Kandae11 Yeah, as much as possible I don't want to lie.
@1creekgirl (8699)
We used to play in the woods behind our house, but too dangerous now for kids.
Yes it definitely would be.
more evil people now compared before. maybe the internet has a bad effect on the brain of people these days. much polluted now more people , traffic everywhere. people are more irritated these days. yes i also took risk when i'm still a teenager before, i dont care. but now i have to be careful, i just dont trust peoples faces these days.
Certainly, one must be alert at all times.
Truly not a thing crosses my mind. I was this way pretty much all my life. My friend would not let me in their houses if it were not clean. They knew I would be uncomfortable. Now I go in someone home and my skin crawl but I try not to say anything. Before I could not help it. That is the one thing for me.
Some of us will take chances all our lives. It is good that you now accept that not everyone's home will be as tidy as yours and try not to comment when you enter an untidy house.
@UncleJoe (8532)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
The first thing that comes to mind is talking back to Becky. That's a lot more dangerous now than it used to be.
Why is that @UncleJoe ?
@UncleJoe (8532)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Kandae11 Because she's meaner than she used to be and loves to beat me.
l refuse to believe you would allow her to do that - unless you're having fun.
I would never walk alone in a shopping center parking lot at night.
In some areas even getting into one's car in a parking lot can be dangerous.
@Kandae11 I heard that, too. I also heard that about 70 teens are roaming neighborhoods and breaking into cars to steal packages and even the cars themselves if the owners are stupid enough to leave the keys in their cars.
@DianneN There should be neighborhood watches in those areas. They can be very effective.
i was not allowed out of my parent's sight. I do not have anything to share that i did that would be dangerous these days. But for a while in the last years of my mom's life she would give strangers rides who asked her. I old my sister who i think put a stop to it as she was furious my mom would do that in this day and age
That was very unwise , I mean , you could be giving a ride to an escaped convict.
@Kandae11 that was what my sister was worried about Or if the person who asked was planning on luring her to a spot he /she could kill her?
@jobelbojel (5052)
I agree with you. There are lots of crimes going on. I have done any in the past but won't be outside too late.
Time to be more aware and careful.
@Kandae11 Yup! Here in Manila, there are still crime going on
@Shiva49 (9587)
I am fond of children and used to babysit them. Now I am quite circumspect with all negative news around. I am rather wary to show even casual affection towards them. Also people have less time even to make eye contact! siva
I understand what you mean.One has to be restrained these days from showing too much affection, because it could be taken the wrong way.
@Shiva49 (9587)
@Kandae11 Yes if you are a man. It was never like that earlier. I used to engage them for hours but they are memories now except the time when my son was growing up - siva
@ridingbet (37924)
nowadays, it is already unsafe if one walks alone at night, in the streets. unlike before, we can do that.
My boyfriend and I use to walk at 2.m. after leaving a Saturday night show or dance - never a problem.
@ridingbet (37924)
@Kandae11 i hope it is still up to now. but danger lurks everywhere
@YrNemo (8510)
walked alone in the dark, for miles... (even pinching people's flowers or fruits ).
You won't be doing any thing like that now.
@YrNemo (8510)
@Kandae11 Too creepy these days .
• Derby, England
I would never pick up a hitch hiker these days and certainly would hitch hike myself. I also wouldn't go some places alone at night by myself. I wouldn't let my grandchildren go of by themselves whereas my own children would go off into the village alone to play with friends.
Hitchhiking or picking up one can be very dangerous these days - and the thing is, people still do it.