Good News for Dogs

Researchers at Vanderbilt University, a private research university located in Nashville, Tennessee, have found that dogs have 530 million neurons in their cerebral cortex, and cats have 250 million neurons in their cerebral cortex. Oh dear. Dogs are smarter than cats. Suzana Herculano-Houzel is Associate Professor of the Departments of Psychology and Biological Sciences at Vanderbilt University. Professor Herculano-Houzel developed, for the first time, a method for counting the number of neurons in the cerebral cortex of cats and dogs, as well as the number of neurons in the cerebral cortex of other carnivores. Since dogs have more neurons in their cerebral cortex than cats, according to researchers, dogs have an increased "richness of their internal mental state and their ability to predict what is about to happen...based on past experience." Also, due to having more neurons in their cerebral cortex, the behavior of dogs is more "flexible and complex" than the behavior of cats. I am not telling Molly that dogs are smarter than cats. Molly will just get all uppity about her I-have-more-neurons-than-a-cat status. I certainly will not inform my sister's cats that dogs are smarter than cats due to that information possibly hurting their feelings. Oh well, we know that loving a dog or cat tops the number of neurons in their cerebral cortex!.
The first study to actually count the number of cortical neurons in the brains of a number of carnivores, including cats and dogs, has found that dogs possess significantly more of them than cats.
I read that this morning. Doodles is fine with that news, since he considers himself a puppy.
I believe Doodles really is a puppy. A critter does not have to look like a puppy to believe it is a puppy.
@Corbin5 I appreciate that! I've had plenty of dogs and cats in my life, and he's more like a puppy than most cats I've had. I love it when I call him outside with open arms and tell him to come to Grammy. He runs across the lawn right into those arms of mine. My dogs couldn't be trusted off the leash.
@DianneN Doodles is definitely a canine. My sister says her fat kitty Chubs behaves just like a dog too. I think some cats have just as many neurons as dogs, or perhaps even a bit more.
well it is pretty obvious that dogs are much smarter than cats. Not sure what the reason for this.I find this silly.
Well, apparently having a greater number of neurons in the brain makes for a more intelligent creature. Dogs just have about twice as many neurons as cats, so dogs are more intelligent, according to the researchers.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Wow that is interesting to know. Yes do not tell Molly lol
She already says, "Mutts rule, purebreds drool." I don't want her to start something up with cats!!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 Oh the lovely Chow she is..isnt she a Chow Chow Deborah?
@TiarasOceanView She is mostly Chow Chow with German Shepherd mixed in. She has the black tongue, lips, throat, and gums. Her vet, Dr. Grover, asked if Molly could be their "office dog" during the day. Molly loves her vet to pieces. We said "No," to the "office-dog" position.
I will tell nothing to Willy the cat, he has so much pleasure in teasing the dog of my neighbor, he surely thinks he is superior.
I am sure Willy is gifted. He certainly is not the norm!
@Corbin5 He is a sweet cat.
Hmm interesting. I was always told csts are smarter
I think that just like humans, there are varying degrees of smart. Some dogs and some cats may be very intelligent, but other dogs and cats not so much.
@Corbin5 maybe.
That whole neuron bidness could just be about neurons and not intellect but I have to admit that dogs do seem to have the desire to learn more often than cats do. It's probably just like people, some want to learn others don't. Oh, haven't you noticed how dogs want to teach?
I think cats seem like they are choosing not to go along with training involving commands and all that jazz, but I believe they are thinking "Huh?" the majority of the time. Dogs have less "Huh?"
That might be it @Corbin5 but I view it as a cat's unwillingness to give up dominance, all three of mine have learned that what I say does go and I'll have no argument about my rules.
Well I reckon we all have our place in the world, But they have yet to say how many they have of they are retarded, I fear my Harley is retarded.
Well, I do believe that just like humans, intelligence varies from dog to dog. Molly is the smartest pup of the 5 we have rescued.
They are both smarter in different ways i think.
I agree. Just like humans, each one has gifts that the other does not have.
@YrNemo (8472)
If a cat got told that, it would likely up its nose in the air and said, 'but who gets more scratches in the end?'
We had a cat, Missy, who we loved and cared for until she passed at age 15. Dang, she was mean. She bit us and scratched us when we least expected. She would hide in wait and then pounce on us and bite and scratch. Keeping her means we have a straight shot to Heaven; no questions asked.
@YrNemo (8472)
@Corbin5 I don't know what to say. I am tempted to laugh and groan at the same time, because that kitten of ours has tried lately to suddenly pounce on me. A bit of a worry there, because I don't know if that was a new game, or was it getting mad at me for not playing with it the whole day, every day?
@YrNemo I hope your figure out the reason for your kitten's behavior. Missy would hide upstairs in the hallway at night. We could not see her hiding in the dark when we made our way upstairs to bed, and she would attack our legs and dig those kitty teeth into our ankles.
@nanette64 (13692)
• Fairfield, Texas
And supposedly 'humans' have 100 Billion @Corbin5 . I know a lot of cats & dogs smarter than humans. Now logically, since dogs are larger than cats that would make sense; unless of course you're talking about a Chihuahua.
I looked up how many cerebral cortex neurons humans out of curiosity, and I also came to the conclusion that many humans are minus a few billion, for sure. The whale has more neurons in its brain than a human, but the key is that human brain has more neurons per square cube packed into that square cube than any other creature on earth. I wonder if the most brilliant of humans have more neurons per square cube than average humans. Oh, who cares?????
@nanette64 (13692)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Michelangelo-177; Galileo-182; Newton-192; Da Vinci-200; Wolfgang von Goethe-220 on the IQ scale. Einstein? A mere 160. Nanette-50
@lady1993 (15543)
cats won't be too happy about that
I hope a war between dogs and cats does not break out. Oh my!!
@lady1993 (15543)
@Corbin5 nah, i think cats are smart enough to know that dogs are quite stronger than them
@alberello75 (13511)
• Genova, Italy
Every person who owns any pet, he / she believes is among the best. Obviously, he / she does not keep this research in mind, that however, in my opinion, they have a meaning.
So true. Molly is a smart dog, but we have had dogs who were not as smart as Molly, and they were wonderful dogs. We also had a cat we loved many years ago.
@alberello75 (13511)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Molly, I think it's a very smart dog. I do not know how old it is. However, his mental memories, very affected by you, his / her owners, they remains
@averygirl72 (13732)
Most people like dogs than cats. So dogs are smarter than cats but I still love cats more than dogs
Yes, my sister is a cat person, but she loves dogs too.
@thelme55 (11777)
I love this news. Certainly you can't tell Molly about this news. She might be sulking
I love this news too, and I will definitely keep this news to myself.
@LoriAMoore (9922)
I'm not telling Grady the Gray Cat that you said this!
Well, if Grady knew this information, Grady would be calling Vanderbilt University to inform Professor Suzana she is so wrong!!
@bluesa (12710)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I will also not tell Daisy! I would not want her to brag to the three cats next door!
Yes, all that bragging can really cause far too much trouble for our smart pups.
@fly802 (1222)
I didn`t know that before.Thanks for the great information.
I did not know either. Sort of knew dogs were smarter due to having both dogs and cats as pets over the years.
@sjvg1976 (14548)
Dogs are smarter than cats no doubt about that. And that's the reason people prefer them as a pet.
Dogs really do seem to be well-loved by so many.
I don't think Molly would ever believe those results anyway. I always believed dogs are smarter than cats, but I always attributed this to being a dog person.
Well, we have adopted a cat, and adopted 5 dogs over the years. We love our cat, but after she passed away at age 15, we said, "No more cats." We loved her, but she was a biter and scratcher of humans.
@hostessman (7147)
• Tucson, Arizona
i heard that on the tv todays that dogs are smarter than cats
Yes, I think dogs just have a bit more learning power.