Sooo, what should I believe?

El Paso, Texas
Have you noticed that over the past 60 years researchers are constantly disqualifying former claims of what is or is not true? I know a lot of this tends to be about the food we eat but until I saw this video I had thought cats were smarter than dogs, HA, look what they're sayin now Considering how little we actually know about the brain, should we actually believe this researcher? I personally believe all kritters have the potential to be smart but just like humans some can be really really dumb.
People will tell you it's not what you say to a dog that counts, it's how you say it. But now researchers say dogs respond to much more than your tone of voi...
@Asylum (47321)
• Manchester, England
This strikes me as absolute nonsense. I can accept that dogs can recognise the association between certain sounds and actions, but understanding speech is laughable.
Don't laugh too hard, dogs do learn to understand speech. In fact they are a heck of lot smarter than you'd know.
@Asylum (47321)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann As previously mentioned, I can accept the recognition of a few words by the sound they make, but that is far from understanding speech. If you ring a bell each time that you put food out, the sound of the bell will become associated with mealtime, which is really how animals understand a few words.
Tell that to service dogs @Asylum
They need to do a study on how smart researchers are ! And where do humans belong on this scale of which animals are smarter ? It really depends on the individual kritter . . . some will smarter (or dumber) than others!
I think you nailed it. I do hate those types of people who think in terms of dogs are dumb animals, that's an ignorant way to think.
@rebelann It is ignorant. I don't even know why they make such a comparison . . . both can be intelligent in different ways.
Very wiley I'd say @much2say many dogs find ways to get out of doing what we think we've trained them not to do and cats of course constantly try to dominate any situation they are in, it's just who they are.
@Platespinner (18577)
Avocados are bad for you; avocados are good for you. Coconut oil is bad for you; coconut oil is good for you. Eggs are bad for you; eggs are good for you. In my experience cats and dogs are both pretty smart. However, cats assume their favourite humans exist to serve them and dogs assume they exist to serve their favourite humans.
Yeah, same for butter, first it's bad then it's good, I just eat what I like and figure the Great Spirit provides food so it can't be bad .... well, unless we choose to eat hemlock or some such nonsense. As for smart kritters, I have to agree with you, but there is one thing I've learned, it's not that dogs necessarily want to serve us but they love to learn and then try to teach us if we have the wherewithal to pay attention. Most people simply view their pet as just a dog or just a cat without really paying any attention to how they react to what those people are doing.
I've been a dog owner, and that makes complete sense to me. There are words you don't want to say, especially if you don't want to go out for a w a l k just then because you might be too tired or have too much on your plate. But say the word treat and no matter where your dog is in the house, he will be right there where the treats are located and sitting waiting for them. If you do want to go for a walk, he will beat you to the door.
Doodles knows those words and he is a cat. A very smart cat who believes he is a puppy. lol
@just4him & @DianneN I kinda figured you'd agree. Kritters are smarter than many humans I know.
@rebelann Yes, they are.
@Morleyhunt (16761)
I take most "new" information with a grain of salt....sometimes a lot more than that.
I think a lot of people underestimate what animals are capable of in terms of understanding humans, it all depends on how much time a human has spent with them.
@Morleyhunt (16761)
@rebelann animals are much more intelligent than people give them credit for....but training also comes into play.
While training either dog, cat, horse or other kritter the human involved has to learn body language so it turns out to be a 2 way street @Morleyhunt
I saw that this morning and agree with you! Doodles was upset to hear that, but knows he is a puppycat.
Oh I like that, a puppycat. Or, like Ally who is a catpuppy.
@rebelann Lol! Love it!!!!
To me both species are very smart @DianneN both know we are in charge which some people would argue cats think they are but in reality they just wish they were.
Whatever researchers come up with, we have to take all with a grain of salt.
Yeah, sometimes they're way off base, but I have to agree that animals are not nearly as dumb as some people would have us believe.
@rebelann So true. Over the years, those of us who have given a home to animals are more often than not in awe of what our critters can do.
I'll salute that fer sure @Corbin5
I know sme dogs are very smart, but I don't know to what extent.
I'd have to agree, just like people, some are very smart and others are very dumb.
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I laugh because a couple years back, coffee was really bad for us. Now, they are saying the it has many health benefits, to fight diseases off! What are we suppose to believe? They lie and people will fall for it, in two seconds!
You got that right. When they first came out with the whole eat margarine not butter thing mom simply said that she'd been eating butter all her life and margarine tasted bad, I agreed with her, now it's margarine is the opposite. It's never ending isn't it.
@kobesbuddy (19608)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@rebelann Yes, you are right about this! My grandma lived to be 91 years old and she ate real butter and thick cream on her oatmeal, all her life:)
Mom lived 99 years and ate all the whole foods so many researchers try to get us to believe are bad for us @kobesbuddy I personally will not eat food if it states it is low fat, fat is something we need as well for fuel as well as antioxidants.
Just like you, I think that all animals can understand what we are saying, even the little birds.
I did not say they understand our language but they are all smart and can determine our intent by our unintentional body language. Ally is always in tune to my body language, I rarely talk because there are no people here.
@rebelann Willy the cat understands very well what I say. When I call him he comes and when I tell him to stop and not to touch something he stops.
He has learned how you act and speak and that's why he knows what your intent is @LadyDuck my kitties are like that as well but when I visit a friend of mine her kitty will not come or respond well to me at all as it does not know me.
@YrNemo (8724)
Animals in general are smart. Researchers unfortunately often have a one-track mind most of the time. THAT often influences their studies/research and the results they obtain.
Exactly. It also seems to me that a researcher is published IF the editors find their articles titillating enough for the general public to buy it.
@YrNemo (8724)
@rebelann The purpose is to profit .
Yes of course @YrNemo which is why I have to wonder how much of the research they want us to read has any real merit.
@kepweng (6407)
who is more Brightest cat or dog?
I think that is hard to determine. Like with people some are really really smart and others are really really dumb.
@LoriAMoore (10121)
Next thing you know they'll be telling us that the earth is flat!
You mean like that guy whose already trying to prove that everything we've been shown is nuttin but a bunch of distorted lies? Well, let him believe what he wants, maybe he'll sail away n fall off the edge of the world