When Jack Frost Nips at Your Nose

Riga, Latvia
The term Jack Frost nipping at your nose means that it is freezing cold outside. The name Jack Frost comes from the ancient Norse figure Jokul Frosti who was a wicked frost giant who once served as the personification of ice and snow. This term takes on a romantic context in the Christmas song “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire” by Nat King Cole. 'Tis the season became popular over time but no one is really quite sure of its meaning. The word contraction ‘tis goes way back to the early 1700s. The one saying I really like is Peace on Earth. How nice it at one time this would refer to the entire world. It is a saying that is meant to make people feel happy and relaxed around the holidays. Peace on Earth, goodwill to men is part of an original Christmas song. When the holidays are done we Ring in the New Year. The last day of December or New Year’s Eve is always a time for great merriment. Another common saying for ringing in the New Year is Auld Lang Syne. Once midnight rings in everyone is singing. Auld Lange Syne is a Scots poem that was written by Robert Burns in 1788 and was set to the tune of a traditional folk song. Auld means “old” and syne means “since or then”. It basically means “days gone by”. This song always brings back bittersweet memories and hopes for a better New Year. Are you all familiar with these sayings? One of my favorite versions of Auld Lang Syne by Rod Stewart
Rod performs at the Royal Albert Hall 10th November 2012
@Srbageldog (5684)
Yes, I am familiar with all those sayings. I have read the Robert Burns poem (when I was studying literature in college) and was surprised then that the song originated so far back.
• Riga, Latvia
I always felt very sentimental when the song rang in the New Year in the states @Srbageldog and was not prepared to like it when the Latvian national hymn rings in the New Year here. I still prefer Auld Lange Syne.
Quite a few people have used the Auld Lang Syne saying to start the new year with a new boyfriend or girlfriend.
• Riga, Latvia
Which is usually a mistake because it involves too much sentimentality for a new relationship but I think is just right for two people who have discovered they love each other @Kandae11
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
I didn't know the origins of Jack frost... so thanks for that..., but the others I did...
I've heard of all of these. I have a story about Auld Lang Syne but I'll save it for a discussion.
I am familiar with those sayings but Jack Frost isn't one of my favorite people as I hate being cold. Wouldn't it be nice of there was Peace on Earth And yes I agree that singing Auld Lang Syne is bittersweet
I never realized that was a Robert Burns poem.
Yes, I am familiar with all these sayings. I really do not like Jack Frost nipping at my nose, though.