Indian Words for States

Riga, Latvia
The state of Michigan became the 26th state. It got its name from an Ojibwa or Chippewa Indian work which means “large lake”. The state has an unusual geography. It is made up of two land masses – the Upper Peninsula and the Lower Peninsula. The nickname is the “Great Lakes State” since four of the five Great Lakes touch its shores. The capital is Lansing and the state flower the apple blossom. Indiana means “land of the Indians” and it is the 19th state. This is the state where the nation’s most famous auto race is held. The Indianapolis 500 is held every year. The residents of this state are referred to as “Hoosiers” but no one is use how this name originated. The capital is Indianapolis and the state flower the peony. The state of Ohio was once part of the Northwest Territory that was won by the U.S. after they defeated the British in the Revolutionary War. This is the 17th state and got its name from the river, forming its southern border. Ohio is an Iroquois word that means “great water”. Its nickname is the “Buckeye State” because the state tree is the buckeye. Since I knew some of you, just like me, might not know what such a tree is then it is a species of the horse chestnut. Eight U.S. presidents were either born here or lived here. The capital is Columbus and the state flower is the scarlet carnation. Kentucky is the state that Daniel Boone and other frontiersmen settled in. It got its name from the Iroquois word “ken-tah-ten” meaning “land of tomorrow”. This is the 15th state and the first state west of the Appalachian Mountains. It is the state where the nation’s most prestigious horse race is held the Kentucky Derby. Its nickname is the Bluegrass State. The capital is Frankfort and the state flower the goldenrod.
Not surprising so many state, county and city names are derived from Indian words.
I suppose all the Indian tribes had their own languages. I've started trying to learn the names of the capitals of each state.
• Riga, Latvia
When I was going to grade school at the tender age of 8 I was in shock when our teacher said we should learn the capitals of each state. I mean there are 50 and every day we were called upon to recite as many as we had learned and it was hit and miss @JudyEv You might enjoy something like this.
Think you're good at geography? Can you ace this US State capitals quiz? Try it now!
@RasmaSandra Thanks for the link. I've used several different sites that have these sorts of quizzes - Sporcle, JetPunk. I think it is JetPunk that gives you a choice of four for each capital. Each time I do it I manage to get a couple more right. I know where all the states are but I'm not sure of the names of the capitals of each. But I'll get there one day.
The Kentucky Derby is world famous., so I wonder how it all began in that State.
@crossbones27 (15111)
• Redlands, California
Pretty interesting stuff. Did you know Kentucky really has blue grass? I have seen it. I always thought it was just some sort of nick name for the type of grass, but the grass in some places does have a blue tint to it.
• Riga, Latvia
That is interesting. I would love to see bluegrass some day @crossbones27
It is so interesting to know the origin of the names of the States. I remember the story of Daniel Boone.
@Daelii (2071)
I really love the meaning behind Kentucky s name!
@Fleura (6225)
I used to live in Minnesota, land of clear water or something like that.