Chuckle #3 - so many lessons to learn in this life

Bunbury, Australia
I trust I haven’t talked about this before. I’ve been through all my myLot files on Word and can’t find a discussion about this so hopefully it will be new to you all. A couple of years ago Vince bought a radio-controlled model yacht. It is quite tall as there is quite a bit that you don’t see that goes in the water. Of course, once he had it home, he was very anxious to get it in the water and try it out. So he and his friend, a yachtsman from way back, took it to a friend’s vineyard where there is a large dam that was perfect for yacht-testing. So they set the sails, checked everything and launched it across the dam. However it wasn’t responding at all to the signals they were sending to it. Then they realised they hadn’t turned on the receiver on the yacht itself. Luckily the yacht sailed round and round and eventually the wind took it over to the opposite bank and they were able to retrieve it. Another lesson learnt!
@moffittjc (35641)
• Gainesville, Florida
That reminds me of the time that I couldn't get my new computer working, and tried everything I could to get it to turn on. Finally, in frustration, I called tech support, and the first thing the guy asked me was "Did you plug it in?" Needless to say, I was very embarrassed...I never plugged the computer in when I set it up!
@Fleura (6159)
whoops! I always thought those stories were apocryphal LOL
@moffittjc (35641)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Fleura I never thought something like that would happen to me, but it did! lol
@Daelii (2022)
Lol that reminds me when I got my first laptop! I called tech support and returned it twice for new ones....only to call back a third time.... same problem. I had it plugged into a surge protector plugged into the wall.. I had no idea you had to turn the surge protector on....
@Fleura (6159)
That was a real 'Doh!' moment! Lucky it was a breezy day!
Yes, it was very lucky that the whole thing didn't go to the bottom of the dam.
@Fleura (6159)
@JudyEv I never thought of that - I just imagined them hopping up and down on the bank while their boat was stuck in the 'doldrums'!
@Fleura It didn't flip over which was good - and I'm sure they were hopping up and down on the bank. Isn't it a wonderful vision?
Lol I love when men have those airheaded moments like this as it makes me feel better about how many moments like these I have every day.
Air-headedness isn't confined to one or other of the sexes!
@JudyEv Men like to think so though
Glad they were able to retrieve it.
He would have been very, very sad if it had sunk.
@Morleyhunt (16548)
Oops. I'll bet that mistake wasn't made a second time.
I've probably said it before but it's a shame there are so many mistakes you can make in this life.
It does help if both signals are working. Nice yacht.
It's a lovely looking yacht. He has ordered a part for it now so it will soon be operational again.
@JudyEv That's good.
@Platespinner (18472)
Oops! At least it didn't play hard to get by staying in the middle of the pond!
That would have been terrible. That happened once before with a different much smaller yacht. He had to borrow a tiny canoe and paddle out to get it. There was a tiny leak in the canoe and he came back with a wet bottom! More chuckles.
Good for them. My daughter's boyfriend bought a drone recently and flew it straight to the top of our roof. The video shows him running after it. It was so funny. It took awhile for him to get it down, because the apartments are really tall with a slanted roof.
I bet he would have been very upset if he'd lost it. My husband and son once wrecked a model helicopter by trying to fly it outside. The instructions on the box clearly said 'inside use only' but no, they had to try it outside.
• Guadeloupe
@judyev Always make shure you've switched it on before trying to operate it - that goes for brains, computers and things that are designed to vibrate.
Very good advice. These things won't go if they are not switched on.
• Preston, England
probably a good job it drifted back or they might have had to abandon shore to rescue the boat - I love watching model boat displays - saw one of these model boat sea battles once in a seaside town here in the UK
Mutsu vs North Carolina (Jeff vs Tim) Brouhaha 2011. Jeff (Mutsu) and Tim (North Carolina) are two of the best battlers around. At this battle they spent a l...
That would have been incredible to watch but I couldn't help thinking about all the radio gear getting submerged.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv yes, I expect the ship sinking would pretty well destroy it
@arthurchappell To be honest the radio compartment got water in it last time and Vince didn't clean it out. There was some rusting but he was able to clean it all up - lucky for him as it was pretty careless not to make sure it was okay to put away. I wouldn't have been happy if it remained out of action.
@YrNemo (8469)
wow! That sophisticated! (Now I know that there is a 'receiver' on that floating yacht!)
Yes, he can control the sails and rudder from the bank - as long as he has both turned on!
@YrNemo (8469)
@JudyEv Sounds a great toy!
• Derby, England
Ooops - How funny!! That is the kind of thing I do too.
We all do silly things from time to time don't we?
At least they were able to get it back and it didn't keep going the wrong way.
They were indeed lucky. It would have been a great shame to have lost it as it's a very pretty boat.
@UncleJoe (8480)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
That is how I learned to not make the same mistake more than 10 times.
Hopefully after the 10th time you'd know better than to make the same mistake again.
@MsTickle (25014)
Talk about egg on their faces.
Exactly. And people driving along the highway were tooting and waving watching two old farts sailing their model boat.
@Daelii (2022)
Lol! That is what I would accidentally do!
He hasn't done it since luckily.
That is hilarious! It's a beautiful toy for Vince, and I hope he got to play with it many times over since he learned/learnt his lesson.
There is someone here at the moment trying to help him get it going again. He hasn't used it for ages and there is a fault in the electrics somewhere. Once it's fixed he'll be heading off to sea again - in a manner of speaking.
@sueznewz2 (9384)
• Alicante, Spain
Ohhh dear...I thought for a minute you were going to tell us one of them Had to go into the water to rescue it ...lol
That would have been even funnier!
@sueznewz2 (9384)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv yes... it would...aren't we awful..lol
@sueznewz2 I think sometimes such laughter is sort of from relief that it's not us in a pickle - or in this case the water
@Raelove (15496)
• Saco, Maine
I'm sure the old saying "Live and learn" applies here as well as to so many other experiences.
True. Sometimes there just seems so many mistakes to make along life's way.
@Raelove (15496)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv I know this is a bit existential, but what if we never made mistakes? I'd venture a guess that many of us wouldn't be here MyLotting!
@kepweng (6328)
nice yachts how much the Cost ? of cheap and expensive yachts?
I really have no idea how much they cost. Several hundred dollars I think.