Ten Pop Favorites: Summer Wind (#6)

@FourWalls (9990)
Five down and five to go when it comes to my favorite all-time pop standard hits. I’ve mentioned a number of times in the countdown thus far that only one of the ten songs on this list actually was released in my lifetime. Today that song is highlighted. Here it is. #6: Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra Yeah, you’re gonna do a pop standards countdown and leave the Chairman of the Board off? I. Don’t. Think. So. To many a generation, Francis Albert Sinatra is the definition of what a pop singer should be. I would rank him in that very, very rare category of being universal: sure, most people won’t like everything he did (just as with the other “universal” favorites like Elvis), but there’s something in there for everyone. And, for me, that “something” is this song. Wow, is it terrific. Sinatra’s rendition was the third or fourth version recorded, released a year after Mr. Vegas, Wayne Newton, recorded it and had a major flop with it. In contrast, when Sinatra released it, the song was a top 30 hit in the Beatles era as well as #1 on the “easy listening” charts. Your trivia: session musicians on this song (and the entire album) included Glen Campbell on guitar, and the organ playing is by Leon Russell. Why am I even saying all of this? Isn’t just saying, “Here’s Frank” enough? I think it is. Summer Wind Written by Heinz Meier, Hans Bradtke, and Johnny Mercer Recorded by Frank Sinatra From Strangers in the Night, 1966 Guess who sighs his lullabiies through nights that never end:
Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group North America Summer Wind (Remastered 2008) · Frank Sinatra Nothing But The Best ? 2008 Frank Sinatra Enterprise...
After The Wayward Wind and now Summer Wind, you could do a "Wind" list. Add Windy to it. Leon Russell playing organ on a Sinatra? That would have been back in Campbell's session days.
This is one Sinatra song I don't know. Sinatra and Leon Russell--I can't even picture those two together.
• Riga, Latvia
This is special. How I love this song and have also used it with some of the poem I have posted online. Of course sadly this song has taken a bittersweet sound to me know since the sudden passing of my husband in August. I surely did lose love on the summer wind....
@dgobucks226 (6746)
You can't have a summer playlist without this song!
I have this on my iPod. Didn't know about Glen Campbell and Leon Russell, though. Interesting.
@LoriAMoore (10009)
I know me some Sinatra, but not this one.