my chunky oatmeal and pronouncing nuts

https://pixabay.com/en/girl-in-bed-breakfast-in-bed-2004774/
in order to use up our stock of quick-cooking oats (and improve my diet, too) i thought i'd try eating oatmeal for dinner, instead of rice. so i cooked one cup of quick-cooking oatmeal in 4 cups of water. when i scooped it in a bowl, i added milk, pecans, almonds, cashews, and raisins. i'm hoping the crunchy nuts would make it nutritious and filling enough, and the fiber would also help the intestines. 1. is my chunky oatmeal okay for dinner? 2. by the way, do you pronounce almond as ah-mond? and is it PEE-can or pee-CAN?
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
I am not a fan of oatmeal, I tried having it for breakfast and I end up eating rice.
rice for breakfast is too heavy for me.
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
@hereandthere Sometimes I only have bread and coffee, and most of the time with rice.
@JustBhem we're opposites. bread and coffee is my usual.
@ridingbet (37876)
i just like my oats with evaporated milk, sugar, and some bread cuts
i love evaporated milk, too, on oats and champorado. i haven't eaten them with bread, though.
@ridingbet (37876)
@hereandthere that is how we eat it here. heheh! both carbohydrates
@ridingbet you never ate it with tuyo (dried salted fish)?
As far as I am concerned, you can have whatever you want for dinner . That being said, I did read that we should avoid nuts in the evening . . . I guess it takes a while to digest, so we tend to gain weight if we sleep before food is done in our system. Oatmeal is good as long it's not the sugary flavored kind. Almond . . . I do say AH-mond. Pecan . . . I say pee-KAWN . . . but when I was growing up, maybe because we never had pecans at home, I used to think they were PEE-ken.
oh, i was just curious if oats or nuts had elements that helped you relax or energized you. but if it takes a while for nuts to digest then i guess it has to be eaten earlier. we either have rolled oats or quick-cooking oats, not those flavored ones in one-serve sizes. it was only in recent years that i heard almond without an L. i also used to stress the PE but saw from youtube a few months ago that the pronunciation varies by country.
@hereandthere Oh, energy - that I don't know. Carbs naturally would give you energy, right? Nuts, I don't know - I don't feel particular relaxed or energized - just fuller .
@much2say yeah, i once ate this pack of dried fruits and nuts late afternoon and didn't feel hungry for dinner
@valmnz (13137)
• New Zealand
I'd prefer it for breakfast, but there are no rules about when to eat things! I like it to give me energy to start the day.
that's exactly what i wanted to know - if oatmeal or nuts was for energy/alertness or to help calm/relax you
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
My eating habit has greatly changed. I’m a rice eater through and through but I can only have my fill when I’m in Davao. ;)
that's what thelma also says when she's here in pinas. when our college classmate was here she gained weight (but we all envied her rosy cheeks)
@Madshadi (4542)
• Brussels, Belgium
Sounds okay. I eat what tastes better regardless of how healthy or nutritious it is
i'm more into taste, too, but i'm not a foodie.
I've had oatmeal for dinner before, but your oatmeal sound really good.
i guess i treat oatmeal like rice. i need an ulam (pork, chicken, meat or veggie dish) to go with it.
You can eat ANYTHING your stomach can handle at night.
i was just wondering if oats and/or nuts have something in them that helps you sleep or stay alert
@prashu228 (22826)
I just mix hot milk in oats and few almonds
i like the contrast of the soft oatmeal and the crunchy nuts
I don't know why I couldn't have myself to have some oatmeal. does it help with digestion?
they say oatmeal has fiber to help "sweep" the colon. however, we use real oats, like rolled oats or quick-cooking oats, not instant, or those that you pour in a mug and add hot water.
@brokenbee (7743)
I think it's okay for dinner but I just like my oats for breakfast. I usually add milk and sugar, or chocolate powder(Milo or Ovaltine or protein powder) or coffee creamer and sugar. I say, al-mond. Hihihi and for me it's PE-CAN. What's the right pronunciation? Awww
i've added milo on oatmeal to make it champorado, or tablea (cacao). i like evaporated milk, but powdered will do.
I think you can eat anything you want for dinner. I like my oatmeal with bananas.
i put bananas, too, when we have them.
@ilocosboy (33256)
if it makes good to you its alright to have oatmeal for your dinner. Of course, I cannot do that because I will always look for rice.
at least you're active so it's okay. i like ulam more than rice.
I think whatever you want for dinner is okay. It sounds quite a big meal and quite healthy but I'm not really into what foods are good or bad - only what foods I like or I don't like!
i just need to eat more healthy food
@yanzalong (8653)
I sometimes have oatmeal for dinner.
when i lived in a rented room, sometimes i would have cereal and milk for dinner
Adding all those foods to the oatmeal should make it very healthy.
i like adding something to oatmeal so i feel fuller.
@YrNemo (8433)
I often prepared something similar for breakfast. I haven't eaten that for a while though.
That sounds delicious. I am a big fan of oatmeal so I could eat it for just about every meal lol
You should be able to eat what you want for dinner. Sounds interesting what you put in your oatmeal?
@hereandthere That is a good question.
@kepweng (6288)
can someone lose weight in oatmeal??
i'm just trying to substitute it for rice