Question for people from lands where it snows

@vandana7 (67531)
I wonder if the water in flush tank freezes...you know flush tank, the one that I use for my morning function. So ..does it freeze? At 0 degrees and minus whatever degrees...your world goes into... This discussion is inspired by Uncle Joe's post..
If it was outside, yes. My home has a heater, you think it's that cold inside?
@vandana7 (67531)
You all heat water for ...omg...omg...oh my god...come down to India..
@vandana7 No, we heat the HOUSE, not the water
@vandana7 (67531)
@JolietJake Blink...that would be so dangerous...right? I mean...danger of getting electrocuted..
Pretty much everyone in Canada has a forced air furnace. In Alberta most homes use natural gas to heat. The natural gas comes to our home through underground pipes. The furnace in the basement has a burner that produces heat and a fan that blows the heat through heat ducts to every room in the house. If we feel chilly we nudge up the heat a little and it comes pouring out. The water comes to the house in pipes that are deep underground below the frost line. So, they don't freeze. The hot water heater also uses natural gas to keep water constantly hot. IF we were to have a long term power outage then the house could freeze and then the water in the household pipes could freeze. Rare, but worth being prepared for. We have a generator. Or one could drain all the water in the house so the pipes aren't damaged during a power outage. Basically we have superheated homes, we jump into our superheated cars and head to the heated buildings where we work.
@vandana7 (67531)
Oh...I heard you all warm up your car engines as well....even the thought is so strange...
I am thankful I am in a tropical region.
@jobelbojel but how is the skiing? And skating?
@topffer (36024)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
Inside no, I have heaters, but the water pipes outdoors might freeze. It freezes rarely in my area and some water pipes are not very deep in the ground. I remember to have had this problem during 1 week in my previous house.
@vandana7 (67531)
That to me is scary proposition top!!! I keep wondering if I am freezing inside out here. This morning I was to go somewhere, but I just couldn't bring myself to leave home. My fingers were frozen. I called them up and said well, sorry. I would be of no help even I came there because my fingers are not obeying my brain's command. We are not yet under 15 degrees C. lol. So how warm do those heaters keep you?
@topffer (36024)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@vandana7 I am fine with 16°C in my bedroom, and 19°C in the other rooms. I am starting to sweat at 24°C : I have not been conceived for warm countries.
@vandana7 (67531)
@topffer 24 is when even I start to sweat, though 18 degrees C is what I need in bedroom and other rooms. lol
No, it does not freeze because homes have furnaces that heat the entire house. If temperatures are really low like -15F (-23 C) then it is wise to let a faucet drip a little water so the pipes outdoors do not freeze.
@vandana7 (67531)
What a tough life...if you don't mind me asking, are your utility bills subsidized?
@vandana7 Some people get help with their utility bills by the government.
i was waiting for someone to mention that, @corbin5. so just one faucet dripping overnight is enough?
No, because it is inside the house and the house is heated, so the temperature is not freezing cold. This morning the water in the birds bath outside was totally frozen, I had to go out with boiling water to melt the ice.
@vandana7 (67531)
So how do the birds stay warm?
@vandana7 The birds have the feathers and the under feathers that keep them warm. The sparrows make their nests under the tiles of the roofs, they feel the warm coming from the house.
@artemeis (4070)
@vandana7 They don't stay around for the winter. They fly away to somewhere warmer.
@Platespinner (17062)
The interior of our home never gets cold enough for water to freeze. Under normal circumstances, we heat with wood, but we have a central system that is set so that the temperature never drops below 50'F or about 10'C in the house. Area parks that close down their restroom facilities in the offseason usually shut off the water so that frozen, and burst pipes, don't cause problems.
@vandana7 (67531)
10 degrees C...at 15 degrees C my fingers are malfunctioning.
@vandana7 10'C is only when we are not home. Normally when it is cold I keep a fire burning and the house stays at about 22'C or warmer. I don't like to be cold.
@vandana7 (67531)
@Platespinner Yeah..too cold an environment is as much of a pain as too hot a season. How hot do your summers get? Ours touch about 45 degrees C.
We have electric heat to heat our home. It keeps things from freezing inside the home. If there was no heat it could freeze. The pipes that bring the water into the home can also freeze. Many people deal with the frustration of frozen pipes during the winter. At work where the boss does not like to leave the furnace on overnight when we are not there I have gone into work in the morning and the water in the toilet bowl was frozen.
@vandana7 everything is made for our weather conditions.
Yes if there is no heat in a house the water in the toilet will freeze. Yes the pipes bringing the water to the house would freeze also. Next is the mess because if all that freezes and thaws, then you have water leaks.
@vandana7 (67531)
I am shocked...I least expected this..your world is so different from ours.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
Oh that would have been tough . Even if the water we drink freezes then will have to eat snow instead of water
@vandana7 (67531)
There is some place in Andhra Pradesh where they offer ice as water.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
@vandana7 even in winters also?
@vandana7 (67531)
@sjvg1976 Yes..and they had over the ice in hand not in glass.
@nomus24g (24842)
Winter...Cold...what's that??? my City recorded the least temperature of 12 degrees last year...
@vandana7 (67531)
In Mumbai, I hardly ever wore sweater. lol. Here too, may be a couple of days in the year, for a few hours. In Pilani though, I used to be covered head to toe. It has extreme climate, so I used to wear woolen pants, full length coat and a sweater under it, and a scarf..and even under the sweater some of us wore what was known as koti. Socks and gloves...
@nomus24g (24842)
@vandana7 yes, winter has its own charm...which we at Mumbai are deprived of
@jobelbojel (8129)
I cannot answer for those who are in the other regions.
@vandana7 (67531)
It is fascinating the way these people live in such harsh climates and take it for granted that the rest of the world is badly off.
@shivamani10 (11189)
• Hyderabad, India
I think they got a peculiar climate.They are the worst sufferers on the planet.
@vandana7 (67531)
Exactly. And still we are happy taking from them. Weird are we.
@franxav (5632)
It makes me think how blessed I am.We have water always in our place (W.B., India) in our pipes, ponds, tanks, rivers. In winter, water gets cold, That's the only problem. We warm water for drinking and bathing.
@vandana7 (67531)
Exactly. I feel so sorry for them...their power bills must be shooting through roof.
No not here it does not freeze in the tank Vanny.
@vandana7 (67531)
Your utility bills must be very high.
@vandana7 Not too high but definitely must budget for the heater
@Daelii (5901)
only if the house isn't heated by whatever means. One winter up north it got to -30 outside and no matter what we did inside, it was freezing! The water lines inside the house froze. So nothing worked !
@vandana7 (67531)
-30? Shocked. No wonder you all are so fair.
Hahahahaha @vandana7 that would give me nightmares trouble if the water in the flush tank froze. I guess the water with the dump turd on it would freeze too (ewwww) Glad to be in the sunny and rainy climate.
@vandana7 (67531)
I had my next question ready. Does the sh..t freeze immediately as it comes out or after falling on ice water. lol. But then, they said the house is warm inside. Still I keep wondering how is it possible to keep the water in there without freezing.
Nope the toilet doesn’t freeze because the room temperature is well above freezing. I keep my heat on 62 Fahrenheit. It’s chilly but oil to heal my home is very costly so I keep the thermostat turned as low as we can stand then we wear layers to keep warm. In the summer when it is very hot though my toilet tank “sweats”
@vandana7 (67531)
LOL...and how does it sweat? Evil grin..
@vandana7 gets moisture on it that drips down
@vandana7 (67531)
@shaggin LOL Hard for me to believe. Evil Grin.
@mayka123 (10806)
Frozen Niagara falls
I am sure it would freeze where there is snow. When the Niagara falls can freeze why not our flush tanks?
@vandana7 (67531)
I even thought how it must feel ..kinda they want to go to store, and they need to go urgently on the way (in cold weather that is inevitable, right?). So may be some incontinence and frozen stuff inside...just guessing.
@mayka123 (10806)
@vandana7 May be we should check with those in Canada just now coz its freezing there now. And you do have a wild imagination.
@UncleJoe (10829)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Which post?
@vandana7 (67531)
"Helpful Kitchen Hints" lol
@artemeis (4070)
During the winter our house have heaters and our washroom have water heaters which are powered by electricity or solar energy. Our water supply is consistent throughout and our flush tanks do not freeze since the house is relatively warm.
@vandana7 (67531)
But do you have solar energy even in winters? Blink. Am I glad to see you. :)