DoesYour Accent Give You away?

@franxav (3741)
In India states are divided roughly on the basis of the languages spoken. English is spoken by quite many people living in those states. If you are a keen observer, you can easily tell which state a person comes from his or her accent. I can also tell if a visiting friend from abroad is from UK or USA, Germany or France, Spain or Portugal, Italy or from Australia from his or her accent. It is not because I have any special gift. It is because English is pronounced in a different way by people of different countries. Have you seen it? You must have if you converse with people of different nations.
@peachpurple (10708)
yes, local Malaysia English spoken language is different from Singaporean English and American or Britian English, you can feel the differences.
One of my university professors was from Singapore, his English accent sounded the same as Malaysian English though.
@Platespinner (18578)
The variety of accents across the USA are innumerable. Most people have trouble placing mine because it's become a bit of a mish-mash as a result of the different places I have lived.
@cahaya1983 (9705)
Yes by now I can roughly tell where they're from. Sometimes I can only guess the region, but not the exact country.
@ridingbet (38080)
maybe the pronunciation is different from a native English speaker to one from a foreign country?and that is regional as well?
In the US, I have a southern accent. I lived out of state for many years, and lost most of it, but now it's back full force.
I can pick some accents but not all. Some think I don't have a strong Australian accent but mostly people overseas pick us as Australians. When I hear my voice on YouTube or whatever I think I sound very nasally and I hate it!
@koopharper (6318)
I've actually had a customer on the phone place me within thirty-five miles of where I grew up based on my accent. I was more than a little bit surprised at that.
Mine is a Chicago accent, but my parents has a Southern Illinois accent.
@Shiva49 (9730)
Agreed, I can tell from the accent within India which part they are from especially South and North. Regarding those from other countries It is easy if they are from the UK or North America - siva
@rina110383 (23529)
Yep. I deal with clients from different countries and I've noticed differences in their English accents.
I have a French accent when speaking English.