Maybe They Do, Maybe They Don't

A junk drawer is a drawer that is used for storing a variety of miscellaneous items of a small size. The items in the junk drawer are useful items, but they are not items used that often. I buy securely-packaged batteries of desired dimensions and voltages, and I place those packages of batteries in our junk drawer. Our junk drawer houses AA, AAA, AAAA, 9V, and 3V batteries. I do believe that the batteries securely contained in their designated packages know when my husband and I are not at home. The batteries are also well-aware of the hours when my husband and I are sound asleep. When we are asleep, or out and about, those batteries break free from their packages and party hardy in that junk drawer of ours. No way will those batteries go back into their designated packages once they have tasted freedom. Those now foot-loose-and-fancy-free batteries invite all the batteries that are lying around the house to the party too. Some of those lying-around-the-house batteries may be alive or dead. Even a dead battery has a bit of life left in it to party in a junk drawer for a minute or two. Due to the regular partying done by that mix of batteries, I end up with a junk drawer full of loose batteries that may work or may not work. I just place the maybe-they-work batteries and the maybe-they-don't-work batteries that are rolling or sliding in the junk drawer in a plastic baggie. If I run out of batteries that have not broken free from their packages, I just grab that baggie of batteries that may or may not work and hope for the best.
@sallypup (21877)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Bad, bad batteries. Sounds like they could use a spanking or a reprimand.
I agree. A talking to first, and then, I will threaten them with "Into the garbage you will go!"
@kobesbuddy (19607)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 They will be taken off Santa's nice list:(
That makes sense to me, I'm constantly finding a zombattery around different places and if I actually cleaned up the way I should they'd be in the recycle baggie that I need to take to the recycle center.
I lack organizational skills, big time. I am just going to blame the jumbled mess on the battery parties that go on inside that junk drawer.
I blame ma's genes, then I have to wonder who she'd blame @Corbin5
• Riga, Latvia
I am lucky that I have a store of batteries in various sizes that I still have the opportunity to charge up on my trusty battery charger.
I should get a battery charger to avoid having to toss those that do not work at all.
@nanette64 (13730)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Yuppers, I've got one of those. The bummer about that is that mine will only charge C and D batteries.
@LoriAMoore (9978)
Kind of like clothes hangers multiplying at night while we sleep.
I know! Batteries are alive, I tell ya!
@alberello75 (13542)
• Genova, Italy
You forgot to mention the rechargeable batteries! However, I must inform you that, in Italy, there are no AAAA batteries. At most AAA
Oh no, I do not think I want to deal with those rechargeable batteries. I have enough trouble with those I have.
@alberello75 (13542)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 I should save this picture and show to my compatriots. The brand "Energizer", exists in Italy, but not that type of batteries! Thank you for the pic
I would just hope for the best as well. It's that time of year where we need to start getting batteries...so many toys need those now.
Oh yes, so many batteries needed and they are so darn expensive. I was amazed that a package of 4 AAA batteries was $6.99. They say don't buy batteries at the Dollar Store because they are not as good, but I am buying them at the Dollar Store..
@Corbin5 That's where we buy all of ours as well. They don't last quite as long but I don't care because they are still cheaper in the long run!
@LovingMyBabies For one package of AA batteries, it was $8.99. No way!!
• Preston, England
I have lots of junk, wires, plugs, batteries, old rolls of film, paperclips, rubber bands and anything that might come in handy again one day @Corbin5
Our junk drawer is the same. I hate to throw things out if I might use them some day. We actually have two junk drawers, but wanted to keep that a secret, but you understand.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 many might say most of my property is junk but love it
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yes it is a toss up with batteries here too..I just try them out to see if they work
Yes, I think batteries should hop right back into that cardboard package if they are of the working kind.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 My drawer is full of guesses
We gather all our recalcitrant batteries together and Vince tests them with a device. The wallflowers go in the bin and the rest are allowed more partying. We now buy rechargeable and recharge those that can no longer be the life of the party. This puts the spark back in them.
I think I need a testing device for batteries. And, a recharger thingy and rechargeable batteries. Sure would make life easier.
No I hate those.I am well stocked up on batteries
They sure get into a jumbled mess here.
That's pretty funny. You just grab one and hope for the best!
I do. Those batteries are rascals and I have no control over them.
@dragon54u (31340)
That is funny, you made me laugh! I recently cleaned out my junk drawer. I was ruthless and without mercy. Despite the cries of "you'll need me someday!!!" I got rid of nearly an entire drawer of junk. I used baskets from the dollar store that were lying around to organize the rest. Then the tool drawer--like yours, my batteries roam free within the tool drawer and run from any hand that reaches in! I confined them to a basket, threw out most of the old nails and screws I'll never use, discarded broken parts that belonged to things I don't remember, and when I was done the drawer was lovely. I swear the bag I took to the trash was faintly kicking as I put it in the bin!
I bet you did have some things in that bag that were still ALIVE!!! I need to get ruthless and start tossing!!! I do have a jumbled mess in there.
@kobesbuddy (19607)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Jay keeps those new batteries so organized, I can't find what I'm looking for! So, I decided to hide certain batteries in a different place, my 'secret stash' drawer
Oh yes, I have a secret stash too. I stink at organizing so the junk store will always be full of batteries that work and those that do not.
@kobesbuddy (19607)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 My secret stash has only new batteries. Jay's has a mixture of everything imaginable! LOL
@kobesbuddy I do not think my husband knows where the batteries are kept. He is not a fix-it type of fellow, for sure.
@noni1959 (2651)
I get this issue with screws and nails. I'll have them in containers only to find them scattered and mixed among the other things including batteries.
My drawer has screws and nails too, and a bunch of other stuff I think I need, but probably don't.
@noni1959 (2651)
@Corbin5 I have a junk drawer I probably can toss the contents out and not miss the items yet my luck, soon as I do, I'll need something.
@noni1959 I am thinking the same thing.
@FayeHazel (11668)
Those partying batteries sound like a real problem.
I kind of wish I could become battery-size for a while and join that party in the junk drawer.
@FayeHazel (11668)
@Corbin5 Party! I bet they really party hard with the twist-ties, super glue, thumb tacks etc
They sure will be partying when you and your hubby is asleep. I put in a plastic used up batteries and throw them to be picked up by the garbage truck. I only have reserved new 2 AA batteries in an open container.
I might throw mine out too. Takes too long to find out which ones work which do not work.
@Corbin5 Yes, that would indeed be the case if the used and unused are in same box.
@sueznewz2 (9384)
• Alicante, Spain
Lo we have a drawer like that too... batteries.., penny's, string , keys... - to what.?! Goodness knows ..lol
Your drawer sounds just like mine! There is a party going on in our drawers!
@sueznewz2 (9384)
• Alicante, Spain
@nanette64 (13730)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh girl, I just buy batteries at the time they are needed @Corbin5 . But one thing I have learned is to NEVER leave a battery inside of an instrument (camera, whatever) that you hardly use because if you do, it will leak acid and rust whatever the 'instrument' happens to be.
Oh yes, those corroded batteries do leak and ruin things. Yep, your reminder has come in handy for me!!
@nanette64 (13730)
• Fairfield, Texas
I heard that if you put batteries in the refrigerator they last longer.
Oh, that is worth a try. Thank you, my friend!!!
@Corbin5 Deborah, you are so welcome.
@cahaya1983 (9505)
Sounds like the batteries are having lots of fun partying in the drawer. You should probably get one of those battery organizers they sell on Amazon. Comes with a tester too. It looks pretty cool!
That sounds like a handy item to have. Thank you for suggesting this!
@Corbin5 No problemo!